Previous owners in house ran up debts - Advice

Found 22nd Jun 2012
Moved house a few month ago and been constantly receiving letters marked "URGENT" and "VERY IMPORTANT" addressed to the people that previously lived here ( i should add the house was previously rented out so the letters are for the tenants and not the guy who owned it - as he rented it out).

Anyway one came again the other day and it specifically said to the home owner - so i opened it and it was from a debt agency - i contacted them to explain i now live in and own the property and he explained it appears the previous tenants had been running up debts.

Anyway another letter came today and unbeleivable it related to money oweing for unpaid petrol at tesco !!!.....and again it was in relation to the people who lived here before me.

Im now a little worried if they have been running up other debts and should i consider opening future letters receivede to notify the companies the previous tenants have moved as i dont want my address blacklisted etc????
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
Write "not known at this address" on them and bung them all back in the post
Banned
Addresses dont have a credit history, people do, so it doesnt matter if the previous occupants were bankrupt.

just open them and send back to the companies marked addressee moved out
Addresses aren't blacklisted, people are (well, to a degree - there is no 'blacklist', it's all done on credit scoring).

Send them back, marked not at this address. They'll soon get the hint and start looking elsewhere for the debtors.

With regards to the petrol one though, might be worth writing to the dvla. Not sure how ANPR works but it may be possible that they can get it flagged up.
Edited by: "miikeyblue" 22nd Jun 2012
csiman

Addresses dont have a credit history, people do, so it doesnt matter if … Addresses dont have a credit history, people do, so it doesnt matter if the previous occupants were bankrupt.just open them and send back to the companies marked addressee moved out

You say that but try getting credit on a house thats been to the cleaners (years ago had the same issue couldnt get it)
Side note though dont open the letters as its a criminal offence if not yours, shrug if any company would try to pursue you for it but its valid.
Banned
Nailez

You say that but try getting credit on a house thats been to the cleaners … You say that but try getting credit on a house thats been to the cleaners (years ago had the same issue couldnt get it)

probably a scummy area. Addresses have no credit file so credit agencies couldnt possibly blacklist one.

equifaxuk.custhelp.com/app…569

Your Credit Rating Explained

5) Do other people who have lived at my address affect my Credit Rating™?

Your Credit Report will only contain information about you. It will also show the name of anyone you share a financial connection with. Anyone who has previously lived at your address does not affect you.

Edited by: "csiman" 22nd Jun 2012
Nailez

You say that but try getting credit on a house thats been to the cleaners … You say that but try getting credit on a house thats been to the cleaners (years ago had the same issue couldnt get it)

You need to contact credit referencing agencies to disassociate you / the address with previous tenants.
Best to not open someone else's mail - return to sender, addressee unknown.
Technically it is illegal to open their mail
Banned
AberdeenDad

Best to not open someone else's mail - return to sender, addressee … Best to not open someone else's mail - return to sender, addressee unknown.Technically it is illegal to open their mail

mail was addressed to 'homeowner' so fine
tinkerbell28

What csi said....the people who lived here had an awful credit rating. … What csi said....the people who lived here had an awful credit rating. Ran up loads of debt. It's never affected us one bit. Even for high ticket buys such as cars.It's because years ago, it would cause problems, now it dosent.Do open the letters and tell them where to go. It's illegal but meh. I don't care. When I had people writing to say they were gonna come and confiscate cars off the drive and repossess stuff, then yeah I'm gonna open their mail.

yep take action
Banned
AberdeenDad

Best to not open someone else's mail - return to sender, addressee … Best to not open someone else's mail - return to sender, addressee unknown.Technically it is illegal to open their mail

Only if you intend to defraud them.
csiman

mail was addressed to 'homeowner' so fine

So it did!
Phone the agency and tell them your story. They will check it out no doubt and never bother you again (unless you run up debts!).

Then repeat until all debt agencies have written to you!

Edited by: "AberdeenDad" 22nd Jun 2012
Original Poster
Cheers guys - after reading the posts there are useful but i now have a dilemma............ do i or dont i open future letters !!!!!!!??????
nick1981

Cheers guys - after reading the posts there are useful but i now have a … Cheers guys - after reading the posts there are useful but i now have a dilemma............ do i or dont i open future letters !!!!!!!??????

Id go with open if non commital to the previous owner, if addressed send back not known
nick1981

Cheers guys - after reading the posts there are useful but i now have a … Cheers guys - after reading the posts there are useful but i now have a dilemma............ do i or dont i open future letters !!!!!!!??????

I did when we had this problem, it was back when we were renting and the tennant before us must have had some problems, I became concerned at the tone of the letters that people were going to start turning up and taking my stuff.

I called them and explained and they were very co-operative and just asked a couple of questions like if I had been given a forwarding address for them or anything - they are only interested in locating the person who owes the money.

just be clear on any forms you fill out how long you have lived at the address and it's history shouldn't effect you - in theory at least.
Radio 4 (Money Programme) was talking about something similar couple of months ago and there was someone from CAB giving advice.....might be worth a listen. Just click on Listen Now button
bbc.co.uk/pro…57k
What should you do if an urgent, official-looking letter addressed to a previous resident drops through your door? Especially one that's threatening the bailiffs. Should you return to sender - or open it and deal with the consequences? Paul Lewis speaks to Money Box listener, Annie and gets advice from Susan Marks from the Citizens Advice Bureau

Can't remember what the advice was though....

Edited by: "gari189" 22nd Jun 2012
Bin 'em.
I have this on the house I am in now, the people who lived here ran up loads of debts.

You should not open the letters as they can have you for this. the return to sender on the back of the letters you can get some info if you google it (This is what I done) when I phoned the credit people they asked me to open them to get the ref number, alot have stopped now, but I still get the odd one here and there .

What I did is aswell is phoned the sorting office they said do not open them and write a letter to the sorting office with the names of the people on the letter then you will not get anymore letters with that surname on them sent to that address .
csiman

Addresses dont have a credit history, people do, so it doesnt matter if … Addresses dont have a credit history, people do, so it doesnt matter if the previous occupants were bankrupt.just open them and send back to the companies marked addressee moved out

DO NOT OPEN THEM! Return marked "Gone Away"
We still get debt letters for people who havent lived here for over 10 years. What doesnt make sense is they wouldnt be able to force them to pay the debt anymore as its gone on too long but they still send them. I used to just put them in the bin, but Im now im so sick of them I write on the envelope 'not lived here for over 10 years, check the electoral you idiots, stop being lazy' in big letters. If they carry on ill go back to putting them in the bin.

I also send all my other junk mail that I get on the day in the free envelopes for like provident finance that they keep sending me. I rip off my address and names etc, but it costs them money haha.
Edited by: "apduk" 23rd Jun 2012
Definately don't open them. I had some mail sent to my house and I recognised the name and I got very wary when it felt like a credit card. So I opened and it was. Someone my daughter knew had used our address to obtain it.

I called them and told them they had more chance of shagging the pope than getting the card. I called the card company who wouldn't discuss as it wasn't my card, idiots.

Two days later I am at work and my son calls me to tell me the police are trying to get hold of me.

They were actually telling me despite the card being obtained by deception they would still have to arrest me as the person had complained that I refused to give them their mail & despite everything else I had committed a crime oO

Take my advice, dump them back in the post.
Banned
I was advised to not open letters but return them in the post marked 'not known at this address'. Then to write alongside or on the back, ' I have lived here from 00/00/0000 . Please contact PREVIOUS HOMEOWNERS NAME on/at PHONE NUMBER OR ADDRESS.

That way they will stop bothering you and will make enquiries with the previous homeowner as to whether he knows the whereabouts of his old tenants.
don't open any letters that isn't addressed to either yourself or home owner as this is illegal and you could get yourself into trouble for it. i would just right on the front not known at this address. where as the ones listed to homeowner i would directly contact either by phone/mail/email. we had this when we moved into our house someone had it reposed 6 months before my landlord bought it and we was here good one 6 months and my door was put threw from private lenders. they was very understanding and replaced my door once i explained we was the people shown them our tenancy just to put my mind more at ease having the little ones. ever since that we haven't a problem.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants