"Previously on sale at this price for 28 days in our Timbuktu store"

10 replies
Found 11th May 2011
A couple of weeks back, before their descent into Administration, I noticed a patio furniture set in Focus. It was a table and six chairs. I noticed it because we have the very same set, bought 3 years ago. Then it was £150 and because we had a Home Movers card from Focus we got it for £135. However the set in front of me cost £379.99.

My jaw hit the floor. I mean, things have got expensive in the last couple of years, but REALLY? Then it occurred to me that it was one of those cons where they sell it at twice the price for a month in one shop so that they can advertise it at half price in ALL their shops next month.

I was back in Focus for something else a week or so later (still pre-admin, but only just) and lo and behold, there it was, covered in red stickers, HALF PRICE!

I knew this went on but I have never caught them at it before. But what I want to know is this - if you worked at Focus and some sap tried to buy one of those sets at £379.99... what would you do? Be the loyal company man and take his money? Or give him a nudge nudge, wink wink, come back next week mate?

10 Comments

i tell them come back next week

jamstaruk1972

i tell them come back next week

+1

I presume the till monkeys would neither have knowledge of prices from 3 years ago, let alone 3 weeks ago, and would happily proceed to take the money off the punter.

Argos and HMV are well known for doing this. Always makes me laugh when looking on Argos’s website for items that profess to be ‘better than half price’ and then you read the small print and notice it was selling for £20 cheaper than the price currently offered.

its so anoying when that happens, sometimes i buy the cheap one then take the cheap one back with the original receipt of the dearer one if its still in the return period.

The supermarkets are doing this all the time with wine. A wine they were only ever going to sell for £3-£4 will sit on a shelf somewhere for £10 for a month or two just so they can legally sell it nationwide for it's originally intended price but make it look like the price has been slashed.
Edited by: "kingy58" 11th May 2011

You mean like this?

On offer reduced from £51.05 reduced to £15.29

then small print says "Additional Information

* Please note item 4233220 has previously been on sale at £14.99."

If people are stupid enough to pay silly money for something then its their own fault. You shouldn't buy something just because it says its half price, you should buy it because you want/need it and its a good price for what is on offer.,

Original Poster

harlzter

You mean … You mean like[url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F4233220%2FTrail%2Fsearchtext%253EGREAT%2BDEALS%2BON%2BHOME%2BELECTRICALS.htm] this?[/url]On offer reduced from £51.05 reduced to £15.29then small print says "Additional Information* Please note item 4233220 has previously been on sale at £14.99."

LOL exactly like that. It was something in the Argos 'sale' that prompted me to write this today...

cdm22

If people are stupid enough to pay silly money for something then its … If people are stupid enough to pay silly money for something then its their own fault.

On this basis it is ok to rip people off if you can get away with it! I doubt you meant to give cowboy plumbers license to charge old ladies £stupidamount for changing a washer, but the words you have used amount to that.

Honestly? Thinking about it, yes! You have used an extreme but if the customer doesn't use any common sense and just goes with the first thing that comes along then they pretty much deserve it. It's not exactly difficult these days to compare prices before buying.

CoenFan

On this basis it is ok to rip people off if you can get away with it! I … On this basis it is ok to rip people off if you can get away with it! I doubt you meant to give cowboy plumbers license to charge old ladies £stupidamount for changing a washer, but the words you have used amount to that.

If the plumber was to say "It's just a washer, and i'll charge *£350, then it would be okay in my books.

The reality is, that they are deceptive because they say that it needs all sorts of work for *£350, but only need to change a washer.

So, it's a poor analogy.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769675
    2. Ordered the Xbox One X from Argos? Delivery could be 00:01 on 07/1111
    3. So it turns out Micheal Winner is a perverted git59
    4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951384

See more discussions