Groups

Price for a faulty Plasma?

** THE SCENARIO **

Been given my father in laws faulty 42" plasma and have two choices - pay to get it repaired and use it OR sell it as faulty and put the funds towards a new 32" or 37" LCD.

In this case, size doesn't matter. We can fit the 42" in our living room and when working it's a lovely TV. But a 32" or 37" would also suffice nicely and prob fit in better aesthetically.

** THE TV **

The TV is a Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ70 (http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2007/10/23/Panasonic-Viera-TH-42PZ70-42in-plasma-TV/p1) and is out of warranty.

** THE FAULT **

It doesn't turn on. When powered, we get 10 LED flashes which represents a fault code I believe.

Have spoke with Panasonic and two independent TV repair firms who have said it is likely to be one or more faulty boards and could cost anywhere between £300-500 to repair.

** NEXT .. **

How much could I realistically expect to get if I sold this as faulty? I just have no idea at all ... if it is a measly amount I'd prefer to save up and get it repaired and just keep it. If its a substantial portion of the cost of a new 32" or 37" LCD - I'd sell it.

Any ideas?

10 Comments

no more than rusty washers

Have you checked out completed listings on ebay for the same item?

i sold my faulty LG plasma for £100 on ebay

Original Poster

Yeah .. and I guess I'm kind of answering my own question here but - eBay seems to be really dependent on area as its obviously going to be a collection item. Varies between £80 - £150 from what I can see (not many of them for this model).

But the problem is the faults those on eBay have had seem to be different - so may have different repair costs. I know a lot of people snap up these on eBay to repair and resell for a profit. But I doubt you'd get over £400 for it if it was working properly.

I guess private ads are the only non-eBay option. Hmm ... the more I think about it the more I may just save up £500 for repair. If it costs at the bottom end of the quote, bonus.

Original Poster

shanecr;8465824

i sold my faulty LG plasma for £100 on ebay

Last year I sold an LG 32" with a cracked screen for £80 ... a guy drove from Yorkshire to Newcastle to collect :-o

Alfonse;8465895

http://www.fixya.com/support/t4472627-42in_panasonic_plasma_viera_blinks_10

Based on that.

350343247920 - Example might not be the exact model one, but under £35 ain't bad fix.

Original Poster

Alfonse;8465895

http://www.fixya.com/support/t4472627-42in_panasonic_plasma_viera_blinks_10

Adam2050;8465960

Based on that.350343247920 - Example might not be the exact model one, … Based on that.350343247920 - Example might not be the exact model one, but under £35 ain't bad fix.

Hmm, that does sound very good. Is this realistically a DIY job though? Obviously I don't have to worry about voiding any warranty which is good ... but I wouldn't really know where to start. If its simply a case of disconnecting, removing, inserting, reconnecting then I'll have a crack. Am I going to need a lekky to do it for me?

Thanks for the info ppl, rep coming.

Original Poster

I think you're right ... I'll go with my gut which is to at least attempt a sale for an acceptable amount.

The firms I spoke to just said "faulty board" but would need to see it to know for sure the extent of the fault. And obviously they'll charge for that :-)

Decision made ... try and sell for £100 and put towards a 32 or 37 deal in a couple of months time when I've saved the remainder.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …93166
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764505
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661380
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415514093

See more discussions