Price for getting french doors fitted

Found 12th Dec 2011
Looking for a rough price for getting some french doors fitted.......

I would need window removing and brickwork removing, also would need a radiator moving as well.........I have no idea how much this would cost or whether I could even afford it, just wondering if any builder on here could give me a rough price...
Community Updates
MiscDoorPrice Glitch
13 Comments
Banned
about a couple of thousand
Banned
goldmax

about a couple of thousand

assuming cost of doors included, this sounds about right

and you would need a builder AND a FENSA registered window fitter.
Edited by: "csiman" 12th Dec 2011
Banned
csiman

assuming cost of doors included, this sounds about rightand you would … assuming cost of doors included, this sounds about rightand you would need a builder AND a FENSA registered window fitter.

Fensa is just one of many self certification schemes, we are with Certass, you don't need a builder to do this work, I do this daily , a decent window fitter can cut out and make good, qualified plumber is needed though to move the rad
Banned
goldmax

Fensa is just one of many self certification schemes, we are with … Fensa is just one of many self certification schemes, we are with Certass, you don't need a builder to do this work, I do this daily , a decent window fitter can cut out and make good, qualified plumber is needed though to move the rad

fair enough. The fitters I know wouldnt be capable of knocking down walls & plastering but thats Everest fitters for you
Banned
Ha ha, Everest vary wildly with their prices and quality of work, thats what happens if you get too big, its all about sales ! you would only need to patch up the reveals and a strip on the floor plus refit skirting boards, not such a big job.
paid £500 for the french doors + £500 for labour, to move a radiator i wouldnt know, but il guess around £1250-1350.
goldmax

Fensa is just one of many self certification schemes, we are with … Fensa is just one of many self certification schemes, we are with Certass, you don't need a builder to do this work, I do this daily , a decent window fitter can cut out and make good, qualified plumber is needed though to move the rad

You will need a builder - because you'd need to ensure the lintel required for the doors is adequate - that's not a window fitter's gig at all.

And, you don't need a qualified plumber to move a radiator FFS. Moving a radiator is simple - providing you have access under the floor.
OP I have wondered the same for a while too. We have a big front window with a radiator under it and have been interested in making it into french doors onto the front garden. Will be interested to know what prices you are quoted around too
Banned
moob

You will need a builder - because you'd need to ensure the lintel … You will need a builder - because you'd need to ensure the lintel required for the doors is adequate - that's not a window fitter's gig at all.And, you don't need a qualified plumber to move a radiator FFS. Moving a radiator is simple - providing you have access under the floor.

90 % of the cut-outs I do you don't need to install a new lintel, most houses built since the eighties have catnics, it is up to the window surveyor to determine this as they will need to comply with building regs. If the fitters cannot touch brickwork then yes a builder will be contracted and the price will be bumped up. You should also be offered a ten year insurance backed guarantee to cover this work
Without knowing what dimensions the window is, and I'd wager they are narrower than a double french door, a lintel would require to be larger - so I don't agree with your 90% assessment I'm afraid. I'd also reckon not too many fitters would be conversant with the latest requirements under Building Regs.
Banned
moob

Without knowing what dimensions the window is, and I'd wager they are … Without knowing what dimensions the window is, and I'd wager they are narrower than a double french door, a lintel would require to be larger - so I don't agree with your 90% assessment I'm afraid. I'd also reckon not too many fitters would be conversant with the latest requirements under Building Regs.

absolute twaddle, the majority of cutouts we do are on windows ranging from 1500 to 1800, pretty much standard sizes for a lounge , even 1200 is acceptable , decent fitters WILL know the requirements, its very uncommon to have to make an opening wider . BTW what experiance do you have on this subject , exactly how many windows/doors have you sold and installed ?
Edited by: "goldmax" 12th Dec 2011
goldmax

absolute twaddle, the majority of cutouts we do are on windows ranging … absolute twaddle, the majority of cutouts we do are on windows ranging from 1500 to 1800, pretty much standard sizes for a lounge , even 1200 is acceptable , decent fitters WILL know the requirements, its very uncommon to have to make an opening wider . BTW what experiance do you have on this subject , exactly how many windows/doors have you sold and installed ?

I don't install, I've just worked alongside Building Standards Officers for over 10 years. Quite a lot of modern houses have really small windows, which was my point.
Original Poster
our house was built in 1969
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions