Price gouging

Posted 22nd Apr
Loads of people complain about scalpers on eBay but amazon sell switches at £299 and game are currently selling ring for for £89. Are there any regulations to stop retailers overcharging?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Ring fit*
People shouldn’t pay that price if it’s not a fair one. That way they have to reduce price or get stuck with dead stock.
Report them - that’s the only way.
I don't have any problem with this. It's all about supply and demand. The Switch is not exactly an essential item and people are obviously happy to pay the asking price. Plus, the RRP on the Switch is £279 so £299 is not exactly a large price premium.
PhoenixRising22/04/2020 14:26

I don't have any problem with this. It's all about supply and demand. …I don't have any problem with this. It's all about supply and demand. The Switch is not exactly an essential item and people are obviously happy to pay the asking price. Plus, the RRP on the Switch is £279 so £299 is not exactly a large price premium.

It’s a bit of a premium on ring fit at game imo
xtreme12322/04/2020 14:27

It’s a bit of a premium on ring fit at game imo

That's true. The problem is that it's a popular game and mostly out of stock everywhere. This has happened before with other games but it doesn't make it any less scummy. I've always gotten my games when they've been on sale but with the current situation, I can see why people don't want to wait.
Supply and demand.
Will you ever complain about things on sale when there is over supply?

If you think it is too expensive, do not buy.
You won't die without it.
There are regulations but they are probably selling for RRP which is allowed. Check RRP for switch. If it's above RRP report it to CMA, keep evidence as no worth contacting them without it. Don't forget You have to take RRP of any other items into account.
Edited by: "MR1123" 22nd Apr
Cisco06060622/04/2020 14:40

Supply and demand.Will you ever complain about things on sale when there …Supply and demand.Will you ever complain about things on sale when there is over supply?If you think it is too expensive, do not buy. You won't die without it.

Have you seen how many people complain about scalpers here?
but aren't those the RRP?
From my law lessons years ago at Uni, it's actually you the consumer who is making an offer to the retailer to buy their product at the price stated. The retailer then can accept or decline your purchase, hence why glitches don't pay off often. As for RRP, it's just that - recommended, anyone can sell at whatever price they want.
xtreme12322/04/2020 13:56

To who?

eBay - if using the app. When you are on the item scroll down and click report item. Next screen on item reason click price gouging. If the agree the listing will be removed.
Retailers can't be prosecuted for selling above the RRP. - that's just plain bizaare notion ... the clue is in the acronym, the Recommended Retail Price.... nothing more than an indication from the manufacturer of what they recommend it should sell for. A retailer can sell it for whatever they want.

The only thing retailers have to abide by is 'sale' prices - an item must have been available for sale at a higher price for a certain amount of time in the last 28 days (or 6 months) - they can't just reduce the price one day, call it a sale then increase it another day to double, then reduce again to half price the next day and call it a sale price etc.
Usually retailers will have an item sitting tucked away at back of showroom at the higher price for a month, then magically have a half price sale the following month... nothing to stop them having it a higher price, even a much higher price, then reducing it for a sale.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 22nd Apr
snoopy1822/04/2020 17:49

Comment deleted

Nope, they’ve been about ring fits and switches
Price gouging complaints make sense for genuinely essential items. Video games don't qualify. If everything starts getting regulated, then let's stop calling ourselves as a free trading country.
Amazon have had uk.camelcamelcamel stop tracking their prices during covid-19.
Not a good sign.
MR112322/04/2020 14:48

There are regulations but they are probably selling for RRP which is …There are regulations but they are probably selling for RRP which is allowed. Check RRP for switch. If it's above RRP report it to CMA, keep evidence as no worth contacting them without it. Don't forget You have to take RRP of any other items into account.

As someone said above you can sell above RRP it’s just the recommended retail price, first word is the important piece. They can sell anything for a price they want, even if it’s priced at a penny they still don’t have to sell it to you at that price.

m4rmite22/04/2020 20:33

Amazon have had uk.camelcamelcamel stop tracking their prices during …Amazon have had uk.camelcamelcamel stop tracking their prices during covid-19.Not a good sign.

Just use Keepa it’s more up to date and covers lightning desks unlike the camel
Edited by: "eslick" 22nd Apr
eslick22/04/2020 22:04

As someone said above you can sell above RRP it’s just the recommended r …As someone said above you can sell above RRP it’s just the recommended retail price, first word is the important piece. They can sell anything for a price they want, even if it’s priced at a penny they still don’t have to sell it to you at that price.Just use Keepa it’s more up to date and covers lightning desks unlike the camel

Under normal circumstances they can, but we are not under normal circumstances. So they can't as they don't normally sell for RRP or above so if they are now then it can be seen as taking advantage during a crisis. CMA have told people to get in touch even my local council has. Although I don't see anything will be done in terms of this case as it's a console so not essential.
Edited by: "MR1123" 22nd Apr
I’m not defending Game, but when you look at the page it is actually then who are selling it or a third party through their website. It may well be the latter
It's all legal and they can
MR112322/04/2020 22:34

Under normal circumstances they can, but we are not under normal …Under normal circumstances they can, but we are not under normal circumstances. So they can't as they don't normally sell for RRP or above so if they are now then it can be seen as taking advantage during a crisis. CMA have told people to get in touch even my local council has. Although I don't see anything will be done in terms of this case as it's a console so not essential.

Yes CMA have said that... for essential terms, like sanitiser or PPE. Not for gaming gear
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions