Price of a cup of tea to go up

81 replies
Found 30th Oct 2016
The true cost of Brexit to British people is here!

81 Comments

Original Poster

bbc.co.uk/new…701

What have we done!!

Nothing will keep me from my tea. NOTHING

.... Or just drink a different brand (_;)
Edited by: "A1512" 30th Oct 2016

I wish I could vote cold on this topic. How boring

I don't drink tea.

https://media.giphy.com/media/d2lcHJTG5Tscg/giphy.gif
Edited by: "mutley1" 30th Oct 2016

Original Poster

Aiden1512

Nothing will keep me from my tea. NOTHING:|.... Or just drink a different … Nothing will keep me from my tea. NOTHING:|.... Or just drink a different brand (_;)

All the prices will go up. Tea is traded in dollars and the weak Pound means the cost of importing it has gone up.

bloody Brexit, its the end of the world!!! Lol

STRICKIBHOY

bloody Brexit, its the end of the world!!! Lol

it will end most people's world. i don't think people actually understands the severe implications or refuse to accept by burying their heads in the sand until someone comes and kick them in the bum.

a quick reckoning up, raw materials have gone up less than 1p for 5 cups. think he's just trying to get a better deal for his company has profits have been falling for a few years.

mutley1

it will end most people's world. i don't think people actually … it will end most people's world. i don't think people actually understands the severe implications or refuse to accept by burying their heads in the sand until someone comes and kick them in the bum.

it will end most people's world
​i think we both have a flair for the over dramatics lol

Original Poster

This is a shopping website, created for people to find bargains and you have members who voted for something that will push the prices of the most basic items up.

How can you not love the irony? It's devastating for those on low wages, it's going to really impact people's lives so focus on the good points where you can otherwise you'd cry.

The price should be increased for such vile stuff anyway.

don't worry folks Yorkshire tea grows in Yorkshire & will be unaffected by this X)

Tap water is the future.....cheaper/healthier and you don't have to go shopping for it.
But if we are doing politics, why has the pound fallen? Is it due to the pound actually being worth less than a few months ago or is it just financial people in the world market playing games and moving money into different currencies to make even more easy money? Those hard working folk make me nauseous.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

All the prices will go up. Tea is traded in dollars and the weak Pound … All the prices will go up. Tea is traded in dollars and the weak Pound means the cost of importing it has gone up.

Oh well. I can live with the added 20p or so.

Original Poster

marty-401

Tap water is the future.....cheaper/healthier and you don't have to go … Tap water is the future.....cheaper/healthier and you don't have to go shopping for it.But if we are doing politics, why has the pound fallen? Is it due to the pound actually being worth less than a few months ago or is it just financial people in the world market playing games and moving money into different currencies to make even more easy money? Those hard working folk make me nauseous.

Because god forbid the currency be an indication of the faith in a country's economic prospects. I'm not going to argue that traders can't and don't have an impact on a currency but I do think we have to be honest about how the economic strength of a country can have an even larger impact.

Original Poster

Aiden1512

Absolutely. 20p on tea is nothing. But 20p extra on detergent, plus 20p extra on marmite, then 5p extra on bananas etc. and it begins to add up. That's what we mean by cost of living increases.

Now a devalued Pound means exports are cheaper, but do you expect people's wages to increase as prices do? I don't and that's a recipe for disaster.

PG tips yes good old unilever again put up their prices before the vote, granted they scammed us in other ways by reducing the tea in the bag but reality is it was a price rise by other means. Just do what we did stop buying them.

If you want to talk about price increase Cineworld has increased the price of their kids club tickets from £1.58 to £2.50, guess the film companies aren't happy about the dollar increasing.

I do worry for the Op, seems their entire life is consumed with Brexit, going to be a long few years for them if they don't get over it
Edited by: "eslick" 30th Oct 2016

So do the tea leaves tell us that Britain is teetering on the verge of financial collapse?
http://a63.tinypic.com/1424thj.jpg

Original Poster

eslick

PG tips yes good old unilever again put up their prices before the vote, … PG tips yes good old unilever again put up their prices before the vote, granted they scammed us in other ways by reducing the tea in the bag but reality is it was a price rise by other means. Just do what we did stop buying them. I do worry for the Op, seems their entire life is consumed with Brexit, going to be a long few years for them if they don't get over it

A couple of weeks ago I took my kids to see the Harry Potter play. That meant buying resale tickets.

When we got there I spoke to some people who said that the currency changes meant coming from New York to see it was much cheaper. So basically tourists could afford to spend more on these seats which pushed the whole market up.

That's how Brexit has most noticeably affected me thus far and I recognise I'm fortunate. Some are already having to make tough choices between feeding their families and buying them new clothes.

The immediate effects of Brexit are hitting the most vulnerable people in society already and it's only going to get worse. I think that's an issue. K?

shadey12

a quick reckoning up, raw materials have gone up less than 1p for 5 cups. … a quick reckoning up, raw materials have gone up less than 1p for 5 cups. think he's just trying to get a better deal for his company has profits have been falling for a few years.

This. yet another company using Brexit as an excuse to bump up prices. Well, the vast majority of people i know will vote with their wallet and go for the cheaper brand. I never buy typhoo anyway lol

Original Poster

118luke

This. yet another company using Brexit as an excuse to bump up prices. … This. yet another company using Brexit as an excuse to bump up prices. Well, the vast majority of people i know will vote with their wallet and go for the cheaper brand. I never buy typhoo anyway lol

Cheaper brand? Tea is an imported commodity that costs more for all producers.

All brands will increase their prices.

Coffee ftw

118luke

This. yet another company using Brexit as an excuse to bump up prices. … This. yet another company using Brexit as an excuse to bump up prices. Well, the vast majority of people i know will vote with their wallet and go for the cheaper brand. I never buy typhoo anyway lol

All such companies are playing a game. They put their prices up because, they say, of Brexit, but you'll be waiting a long time to see a price reduction once the economy recovers. If Brexit was reversed, they still wouldn't reduce their prices. They will be the losers in the end.

shadey12

a quick reckoning up, raw materials have gone up less than 1p for 5 cups. … a quick reckoning up, raw materials have gone up less than 1p for 5 cups. think he's just trying to get a better deal for his company has profits have been falling for a few years.

More likely he's factored into the price hike the 100% certainty that in the near future he can't use cheap imported foreign labour and pay them below NMW but instead of admitting to those facts he'll use any other factor for the remoaners to continue the negativity

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Absolutely. 20p on tea is nothing. But 20p extra on detergent, plus 20p … Absolutely. 20p on tea is nothing. But 20p extra on detergent, plus 20p extra on marmite, then 5p extra on bananas etc. and it begins to add up. That's what we mean by cost of living increases.Now a devalued Pound means exports are cheaper, but do you expect people's wages to increase as prices do? I don't and that's a recipe for disaster.

Agree with your comment, but there's always cheaper alternatives to everything. If the price of all the usual branded products someone buys increases there will always be a cheaper alternative. Prices are always going up and down, cost of living has always increased, not much anyone can do about it apart from adapt.

Original Poster

shauneco

Coffee ftw

Coffee is also traded in dollars and also imported, hence it will go up in price too.

Anything we import costs more. That's the point.
Predikuesi

All such companies are playing a game. They put their prices up because, … All such companies are playing a game. They put their prices up because, they say, of Brexit, but you'll be waiting a long time to see a price reduction once the economy recovers. If Brexit was reversed, they still wouldn't reduce their prices. They will be the losers in the end.

You're right. Companies costs will go up but they'll also put their prices up a bit too.

What people who voted for Brexit need to do is accept ownership of that situation.

We should get a VAT reduction now we're not wasting money sending it to Europe. I vote back to 17.5%

I think the tea companies will use any excuse to raise their prices. Look what happened in 2009 after the Pound fell in value. They raised the price of tea by 15%. Where we not in the EU then?

theguardian.com/mon…ise
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 30th Oct 2016

Original Poster

118luke

We should get a VAT reduction now we're not wasting money sending it to … We should get a VAT reduction now we're not wasting money sending it to Europe. I vote back to 17.5%

After Article 50 is invoked there's still two years of dues to pay, plus whatever costs are associated with retaining access to the single market, plus the costs of unpaid commitments to the EU which could total tens of billions of Pounds.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Cheaper brand? Tea is an imported commodity that costs more for all … Cheaper brand? Tea is an imported commodity that costs more for all producers. All brands will increase their prices.

​read your own story, you posted it.
the companies profits have been falling for a number of years so nothing to do with brexitt
they are just trying to jump on the Marmite wagon. I'm sure the cut price supermarkets will undercut them regardless.

Original Poster

shadey12

​read your own story, you posted it. the companies profits have been f … ​read your own story, you posted it. the companies profits have been falling for a number of years so nothing to do with brexitt they are just trying to jump on the Marmite wagon. I'm sure the cut price supermarkets will undercut them regardless.

You do realise that the cut-price supermarkets also have to import tea.

Tea isn't grown in this country in anything approaching large numbers. It's a commodity traded in dollars. Our Pound has fallen, ergo tea costs more.

This isn't some obscure economic problem - a raw material now costs more ergo a product will cost more. It will cost more if it's called Yorkshire Tea or Dave's Cheapo Tea. It will cost more if it's sold in Marks and Spencer or Lidl.

Tea. Costs. More. X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

A couple of weeks ago I took my kids to see the Harry Potter play. That … A couple of weeks ago I took my kids to see the Harry Potter play. That meant buying resale tickets.When we got there I spoke to some people who said that the currency changes meant coming from New York to see it was much cheaper. So basically tourists could afford to spend more on these seats which pushed the whole market up.That's how Brexit has most noticeably affected me thus far and I recognise I'm fortunate. Some are already having to make tough choices between feeding their families and buying them new clothes.The immediate effects of Brexit are hitting the most vulnerable people in society already and it's only going to get worse. I think that's an issue. K?

​you keep talking about the poor.
you have no idea how the poor feel or live day to day or if they have to choose between clothes or food.
one thing the working poor have to compete with is economic migrants who will come here and work every hour god sends for minimum wage, share a house with friends or other couples to save on rent.
the reason they will do this is to earn more money here than they can in their own country. I don't blame them or dislike them for doing this. if British people could go to another EU country and earn 3 or 4 times the minimum wage here they would.
does this benefit anything in this country other than employers wanting to pay less wages or landlords wanting more rent?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You do realise that the cut-price supermarkets also have to import tea. … You do realise that the cut-price supermarkets also have to import tea. Tea isn't grown in this country in anything approaching large numbers. It's a commodity traded in dollars. Our Pound has fallen, ergo tea costs more.This isn't some obscure economic problem - a raw material now costs more ergo a product will cost more. It will cost more if it's called Yorkshire Tea or Dave's Cheapo Tea. It will cost more if it's sold in Marks and Spencer or Lidl. Tea. Costs. More. X)

​like I said read you story, his profit margins have been falling for a number of years.
funnily enough you weren't here 2 years ago saying "look we are in the EU and this companies profits are falling"

Original Poster

shadey12

does this benefit anything in this country other than employers wanting … does this benefit anything in this country other than employers wanting to pay less wages or landlords wanting more rent?

Yes. It keeps prices of production low which in turn keeps prices low. We can argue all day about whether that balances out the depressed wages but you asked for benefits and there's the key one.

shadey12

​like I said read you story, his profit margins have been falling for a n … ​like I said read you story, his profit margins have been falling for a number of years.funnily enough you weren't here 2 years ago saying "look we are in the EU and this companies profits are falling"

Because I don't care about his company. His company is just the first to increase their prices which EVERY tea company will, because the price of tea has gone up.

That's my point. It's an example of the increased cost of living on 'essentials' that will disproportionately impact those on lower wages.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Yes. It keeps prices of production low which in turn keeps prices low. We … Yes. It keeps prices of production low which in turn keeps prices low. We can argue all day about whether that balances out the depressed wages but you asked for benefits and there's the key one.Because I don't care about his company. His company is just the first to increase their prices which EVERY tea company will, because the price of tea has gone up.That's my point. It's an example of the increased cost of living on 'essentials' that will disproportionately impact those on lower wages.

​funny thing is prices have risen since we joined the EU
with free movement of people house prices have risen astronomically
wages in real terms have gone down
but you care so much about the poor you want us to have continued referendums until you get the result that suits you

it's nice you care so much.

Aiden1512

Exactly. If it gets to the point where I can't afford teabags, teabags will be the least of my worries.
Besides if it does get to that point probably half the population will have died off thus there will be a massive over supply and they will have to drop the price. X)

Predikuesi

The price should be increased for such vile stuff anyway.

Alcohol kills thousands every year, do you advocate the same for that?

The UK has always payed more duty on most taxable products(like baccy/alcohol etc) than the majority of the EU so we have never really benefited from being in the EU but has has to suffer ALL the constraints of being of being in.

Edited by: "landros1" 30th Oct 2016

landros1

Alcohol kills thousands every year, do you advocate the same for that?

Yes. I do not drink alcohol. My stepfather was an alcoholic and I promised myself that I'd never touch the stuff.

Maybe alcohol, tobacco and sugar needs to be increased in price to help pay for the damage they cause.

I was only joking about the tea by the way!

Edited by: "Predikuesi" 30th Oct 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244870
    2. Add one, leave one game54315392
    3. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?22
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322825

See more discussions