Groups

Prince Harry firing shots!

Everyone's favourite Prince now that the purple one has left us just went in on the tabloid press and the people who read them, criticising the coverage of his relationship with Meghan Markle.

In particular he highlights the 'racial undertones' of comments sections and the rubbish on social media.

Well done him. It's not something limited to this incident but him calling it out is huge.

80 Comments

Original Poster

To be fair to the press its big news and they will do their utmost to get the story, the racist/trolling isn't right.

good on him.
    without me going and googling it, what's the race thing about, as in who has been saying what to who about what.

Original Poster

shadey12

good on him.without me going and googling it, what's the race thing … good on him.without me going and googling it, what's the race thing about, as in who has been saying what to who about what.

A tabloid story with racial undertones and dog-whistling....why it's the Mail of course.

From what I've seen they've been doing the usual and there was a story about her being 'straight outta Compton' and the like. Just tabloid trash as usual.

Good luck to them if they decide they are right for one another long-term. At least there is no pretence now with the aims of your posts, HEAWD. I'm sure your faux whistle will eventually bring the response(s) that you are clearly seeking.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

A tabloid story with racial undertones and dog-whistling....why it's the … A tabloid story with racial undertones and dog-whistling....why it's the Mail of course.From what I've seen they've been doing the usual and there was a story about her being 'straight outta Compton' and the like. Just tabloid trash as usual.

​well that's the mail for you.
    personally just looking at the photo I didn't see race at all, then again she could be black and I wouldn't see a problem.
    I don't see what difference it would make to anyone other than Harry.
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Original Poster

Saturn

Good luck to them if they decide they are right for one another … Good luck to them if they decide they are right for one another long-term. At least there is no pretence now with the aims of your posts, HEAWD. I'm sure your faux whistle will eventually bring the response(s) that you are clearly seeking.

I think you're missing the point. We have a well regarded royal calling out the gutter press for something I can't recall them being called out on before - dog-whistling, racially charged pieces.

That's important in this country right now. Ok it's about his relationship but it's an issue in so many areas of life.

Banned

Yes I agree, an Arsenal fan, what a guy.

shadey12

​well that's the mail for you.personally just looking at the photo I d … ​well that's the mail for you.personally just looking at the photo I didn't see race at all, then again she could be black and I wouldn't see a problem.I don't see what difference it would make to anyone other than Harry.beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That is how most decent people feel, shadey'. These 'unseen' undertones are spread via people starting threads like this on social media and public forums.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I think you're missing the point. We have a well regarded royal calling … I think you're missing the point. We have a well regarded royal calling out the gutter press for something I can't recall them being called out on before - dog-whistling, racially charged pieces.That's important in this country right now. Ok it's about his relationship but it's an issue in so many areas of life.

Yeah, yeah, of course. Enjoy your thread, HEAWD, I hope it provides the fuel you seek to raise your spirits today.

Original Poster

Saturn

That is how most decent people feel, shadey'. These 'unseen' undertones … That is how most decent people feel, shadey'. These 'unseen' undertones are spread via people starting threads like this on social media and public forums.Yeah, yeah, of course. Enjoy your thread, HEAWD, I hope it provides the fuel you seek to raise your spirits today.

You are free to think they're 'unseen' but culture has a massive impact on the kids in this country and I want my kids to grow up in a country that doesn't have these dog-whistles in the tabloids. That applies to race, but also to gender.

Obviously not everyone is aware of this and that's understandable because they're not made obvious, but most perceptive people who understand how the media works or even how marketing, advertising or anything in that arena work knows what to look for.

Ignoring elements of our society because they're distasteful or because you yourself aren't impacted is up to you, but I want my kids to grow up in a better world than the one we did - that's what any parent wants surely.

where's the evidence, which media and how bad ?
    Surely its better not to fan the flames but get their secret service dudes to press a few buttons?

Original Poster

Saturn

This on the back of the unsolicited and unnecessary posting of 2 large … This on the back of the unsolicited and unnecessary posting of 2 large images of Gina Miller makes it clear that you are a part of the problem, not the solution.

Actually I was highlighting the issue that her race and gender (as well as her place of birth) have clearly been subject to the same dog-whistling that Prince Harry has called out here.

I apologise for not making that clearer to you but on past experience you won't accept that and will continue to try and make some bizarre point.

I also understand your point of view but I think we as a society are moving on from that and calling out racism, sexism etc. where we see it, even if the older, middle-aged generation want to deny it's there. Like a lot of things I think it's a generational difference.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You are free to think they're 'unseen' but culture has a massive impact … You are free to think they're 'unseen' but culture has a massive impact on the kids in this country and I want my kids to grow up in a country that doesn't have these dog-whistles in the tabloids. That applies to race, but also to gender.Obviously not everyone is aware of this and that's understandable because they're not made obvious, but most perceptive people who understand how the media works or even how marketing, advertising or anything in that arena work knows what to look for.Ignoring elements of our society because they're distasteful or because you yourself aren't impacted is up to you, but I want my kids to grow up in a better world than the one we did - that's what any parent wants surely.

This on the back of the unsolicited and unnecessary posting of 2 large images of Gina Mlller makes it clear that you are a part of the problem, not the solution.

Original Poster

sowotsdis

where's the evidence, which media and how bad ?Surely its better not to … where's the evidence, which media and how bad ?Surely its better not to fan the flames but get their secret service dudes to press a few buttons?

I'm not going to link to the stories because that's just exacerbating the problem but here's an example from Rachel Johnson (Boris's sister) writing in the mail.

Obviously I'm aware some will see nothing questionable in this and that's fine.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwu-aRLXgAAt_QZ.jpg

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Actually I was highlighting the issue that her race and gender (as well … Actually I was highlighting the issue that her race and gender (as well as her place of birth) have clearly been subject to the same dog-whistling that Prince Harry has called out here.I apologise for not making that clearer to you but on past experience you won't accept that and will continue to try and make some bizarre point. I also understand your point of view but I think we as a society are moving on from that and calling out racism, sexism etc. where we see it, even if the older, middle-aged generation want to deny it's there. Like a lot of things I think it's a generational difference.

You are clearly middle-aged, HEAWD. What blinkered generation are you referring to? Your own, or another?

I'd love for some billionaire to fund (with cash prizes) for top stories on the editors and reporters of the press, who publish these types of stories, about their own personal love life

And then maybe, just maybe they'll reconsider what they should be publishing to the readers

Who cares who she is - it's none of our business - so long as they are both happy and in love let them be - it's not as if he's going to be king as he is currently fifth in line after his father (OMG not him please). If there's a wedding and then a baby then fine publish pictures that's all we need to know.
    Edited by: "philphil61" 8th Nov 2016

Original Poster

Saturn

You are clearly middle-aged, HEAWD. What blinkered generation are you … You are clearly middle-aged, HEAWD. What blinkered generation are you referring to? Your own, or another?

It's fine man, we really don't have to go through this again and I think arguing about ages would be a new low. 45 is the new 40, probably. Relax.

Original Poster

philphil61

I love for some billionaire to fund (with cash prizes) for top stories on … I love for some billionaire to fund (with cash prizes) for top stories on the editors and reporters of the press, who publish these types of stories, about their own personal love lifeAnd then maybe, just maybe they'll reconsider what they should be publishing to the readersWho cares who she is - it's none of our business - so long as they are both happy and in love let them be - it's not as if he's going to be king as he is currently fifth in line after his father (OMG not him please). If there's a wedding and then a baby then fine publish pictures that's all we need to know.

Wow, I agree with this all entirely 100%.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's fine man, we really don't have to go through this again and I think … It's fine man, we really don't have to go through this again and I think arguing about ages would be a new low. 45 is the new 40, probably. Relax.

A new low? Lower than the intentions of this thread and your unpleasant angle on Gina Miller? Come on now, HEAWD.

Original Poster

Saturn

A new low? Lower than the intentions of this thread and your unpleasant … A new low? Lower than the intentions of this thread and your unpleasant angle on Gina Miller? Come on now, HEAWD.

I was actually calling out the dog-whistling in reports regarding Gina Miller, but obviously I didn't make that clear. Either way it doesn't appear it's something you believe is an issue which might be a factor in you failing to understand it.

And the reason you might not believe it's an issue is because of your age. That's not a dig, but a reference to age and generational differences being a factor in people's social views. If any of this is unclear then feel free to PM me and I'll try and explain myself better, ok?

And according to google, 45 is the new 35 so that's nice isn't it?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I was actually calling out the dog-whistling in reports regarding Gina … I was actually calling out the dog-whistling in reports regarding Gina Miller, but obviously I didn't make that clear. Either way it doesn't appear it's something you believe is an issue which might be a factor in you failing to understand it.And the reason you might not believe it's an issue is because of your age. That's not a dig, but a reference to age and generational differences being a factor in people's social views. If any of this is unclear then feel free to PM me and I'll try and explain myself better, ok? And according to google, 45 is the new 35 so that's nice isn't it?

You keep on playing this 'generation' thing. You are a part of the generation that you seek to denigrate, HEAWD, but have issues with admitting it. Why?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I'm not going to link to the stories because that's just exacerbating the … I'm not going to link to the stories because that's just exacerbating the problem but here's an example from Rachel Johnson (Boris's sister) writing in the mail.Obviously I'm aware some will see nothing questionable in this and that's fine.

http://www.bedpostblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/culkin-shocked-face.png

Good for Prince Harry...he should however have a word with her to leave Suits as she is bloody awful in it!

Original Poster

Saturn

You keep on playing this 'generation' thing. You are a part of the … You keep on playing this 'generation' thing. You are a part of the generation that you seek to denigrate, HEAWD, but have issues with admitting it. Why?

I have trouble admitting that my generation isn't perfect? Not at all, but I think we're more progressive in our social attitudes and the next generation is even moreso. I think that's a good thing and I see what Harry has done as being representative of that.

I think young people need to see people like Harry who are either their age or the generation above calling out racism, sexism, etc. even if it's merely implied...especially if they're not seeing that in their own homes or communities.

Original Poster

brilly

Like I said, it's fine.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I was actually calling out the dog-whistling in reports regarding Gina … I was actually calling out the dog-whistling in reports regarding Gina Miller, but obviously I didn't make that clear.

No, you where trying to provoke a reaction as you think leavers are racists.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

And according to google, 45 is the new 35 so that's nice isn't it?

can we all use that "according to google" line? because according to google anything is what ever you want it to be.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Like I said, it's fine.

not really about being fine or not
    more about priorities and pot stirring and giving/taking offense

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I have trouble admitting that my generation isn't perfect? Not at all, … I have trouble admitting that my generation isn't perfect? Not at all, but I think we're more progressive in our social attitudes and the next generation is even moreso. I think that's a good thing and I see what Harry has done as being representative of that. I think young people need to see people like Harry who are either their age or the generation above calling out racism, sexism, etc. even if it's merely implied...especially if they're not seeing that in their own homes or communities.

I think you are tying yourself up in knots. Justification becomes hard for you when you start out on the wrong side of an issue, especially from a false position.

Original Poster

haritori

can we all use that "according to google" line? because according to … can we all use that "according to google" line? because according to google anything is what ever you want it to be.

Actually if you type '45 is the new' into google then it only comes up with one top result.

123thisisme

No, you where trying to provoke a reaction as you think leavers are … No, you where trying to provoke a reaction as you think leavers are racists.

I don't think ALL leavers are racist....I believe there's a possibility that a majority could be xenophobic and/or misogynistic.

Apologies if anyone is offended by that.

Original Poster

Saturn

I think you are tying yourself up in knots. Justification becomes hard … I think you are tying yourself up in knots. Justification becomes hard for you when you start out on the wrong side of an issue, especially from a false position.

OK. I think my views are consistent but if you disagree then you're more than welcome to. Glad we could have this chat, they're always....what's the opposite of effortless?

EDIT - hard work. It's almost like I have to take everything I've experienced from talking to a normal human and set it to one side for a moment.
    Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 8th Nov 2016

He just fancies a bit of rough, wont last.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

misogynistic.

Had to google that, I'm not one of them either.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Apologies if anyone is offended by that.

Apologies accepted

Original Poster

davewave

A 'bit of rough'?

What on Earth makes you think she's a bit of rough?

Her mother has a master's, her father was a Director of Photography.

She had a private education in an independent school and went to Northwestern University, plus she's an ambassador for a number of charities.

So in what world is she a bit of rough?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

So in what world is she a bit of rough?

The world of royalty.

Original Poster

123thisisme

The world of royalty.

I think davewave can answer for himself, but would you say Catherine Middleton was 'a bit of rough'.

Sorry, but in the modern world there's not a single thing in Miss Markle's biography that would suggest she's 'a bit of rough'.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

OK. I think my views are consistent but if you disagree then you're more … OK. I think my views are consistent but if you disagree then you're more than welcome to. Glad we could have this chat, they're always....what's the opposite of effortless? EDIT - hard work. It's almost like I have to take everything I've experienced from talking to a normal human and set it to one side for a moment.

Can I suggest you get out more often then. Life behind a keyboard can skew your view of 'normal' interaction.

davewave

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

A 'bit of rough'?What on Earth makes you think she's a bit of rough?Her … A 'bit of rough'?What on Earth makes you think she's a bit of rough?Her mother has a master's, her father was a Director of Photography.She had a private education in an independent school and went to Northwestern University, plus she's an ambassador for a number of charities.So in what world is she a bit of rough?

BINGO!! Away you go, HEAWD. Enjoy your thread.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

A 'bit of rough'?What on Earth makes you think she's a bit of rough?Her … A 'bit of rough'?What on Earth makes you think she's a bit of rough?Her mother has a master's, her father was a Director of Photography.She had a private education in an independent school and went to Northwestern University, plus she's an ambassador for a number of charities.So in what world is she a bit of rough?

Her mum comes from Crenshaw, doesn't shout aristocracy to me, maybe it does to you!
    http://dissizit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/203.jpg

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

but would you say Catherine Middleton was 'a bit of rough'..

I all depends on perspective, to me she is a nice posh bird, but to royalty she a bit of rough. The royals need new DNA in their bloodline so its ok.

Original Poster

davewave

Her mum comes from Crenshaw, doesn't shout aristocracy to me, maybe it … Her mum comes from Crenshaw, doesn't shout aristocracy to me, maybe it does to you!

Her mother is a Yoga therapist with a Masters in Social Work. Maybe we need to look beyond the surface and not judge people on superficial things like where their mothers were born.

As I said, she's privately educated, has a degree from a well-respected university and does humanitarian work. I wouldn't look at that and think she's a 'bit of rough'.

In a thread about racial undertones and dog-whistling, well sheesh....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…88
      3. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE11
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764319

See more discussions