Printer

Posted 19th Feb
Hi, looking how to solve my printer it doesn’t print properly it has gaps in the text and lines, I’ve looked on YouTube nothing there that helped. What can I do,
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Head clean & head alignment.
Done all that still the same
I have a canon mg3150
have you checked that the ink is not running out?
That looks like it's a cheaper home model that's getting on for a decade old so it may simply be worn out.
If you've tried a head clean and that hasn't helped, it could be a dry-blocked (or partially blocked) nozzle. DO NOT do MORE than three (3) "head cleans" (one after the other) in short succession as you can make matters worse. If you want to try it again, leave a few hours between cleaning 'sessions' to prevent compounding the blockage.

The only option in this instance is to get a cleaning kit. If you search on Ebay for Canon nozzle cleaning, you can get a kit for around £5-10 and this allows you to inject a cleaning fluid directly into the nozzle ports to dissolve the clog. There is however NO GUARANTEE that this will solve the issue.

Of course, there is still the old argument that printers can be purchased so cheaply today that it is not worth even spending £10 to fix one. It's for the individual to decide.

How old is the printer and do you use genuine or compatible ink? I use compatible so I'm not asking so as to chastise you for using them. It's just not ALL inks are created equal! How regularly do you print? Has it sat for a little while since the last use?
Time for a new printer, and depending on how much you print get one based on ink costs.

You're just going to waste money on trying to fix this printer and the ink isn't cheap.
Some bargain colour lasers on HUKD lately, loads of mono ones out there, and they never block.
In fact, I've left mine in the corner for literally years and it's still works like new!
esar19/02/2020 18:39

Some bargain colour lasers on HUKD lately, loads of mono ones out there, …Some bargain colour lasers on HUKD lately, loads of mono ones out there, and they never block.In fact, I've left mine in the corner for literally years and it's still works like new!

Couldn’t agree more. If you’re only an occasional user of a printer it makes sense to buy laser. Too many issues with heads drying in ink jets if not regularly used. I’ve had a Canon laser for around 10 years, maybe more and it’s barely missed a beat. Best computer purchase I’ve ever made.
Diggsy19/02/2020 20:30

Couldn’t agree more. If you’re only an occasional user of a printer it mak …Couldn’t agree more. If you’re only an occasional user of a printer it makes sense to buy laser. Too many issues with heads drying in ink jets if not regularly used. I’ve had a Canon laser for around 10 years, maybe more and it’s barely missed a beat. Best computer purchase I’ve ever made.

Or opt for a £40 HP AIO that has print head integrated into the cart so doesn't dry up. Plus free 15ppm for life. Just another option.
AndyRoyd19/02/2020 21:36

Or opt for a £40 HP AIO that has print head integrated into the cart so …Or opt for a £40 HP AIO that has print head integrated into the cart so doesn't dry up. Plus free 15ppm for life. Just another option.

Yep, that sounds like a good alternative too
Phsycronix I have had the printer for 3 years. Don’t use it that often, and I do use compatible ink.i injected it myself, I think I need to buy the nozzle cleaner . YHANKS
naseem.khan20/02/2020 00:53

Phsycronix I have had the printer for 3 years. Don’t use it that often, a …Phsycronix I have had the printer for 3 years. Don’t use it that often, and I do use compatible ink.i injected it myself, I think I need to buy the nozzle cleaner . YHANKS

Hi again Naseem. Many folks don't realise that with inkjet printers you need to use them (or at least turn it on, let it initialize - then turn it off) once a month. This operation charges the head, uses a tiny bit of ink but more importantly it flushes the nozzles through. With regards to the 'nozzle cleaner' - don't expect miracles. As I said, it is not a guaranteed fix - especially if the nozzles have degraded. It's more of a "worth a go" scenario rather than bin the printer. There are many Youtube vids on the subject of cleaning printer nozzles...

I will say, I'm no saint! Sometimes I'll completely forget for a couple of months (or more ) and then a few head cleans are needed. With compatible inks, this ritual is even more important. Another option is to purchase cleaning "cartridges" and use these between prints if your printing is few and far between.

As others have pointed out correctly, if you only print occasionally and mostly in black (text docs etc.) then I can wholeheartedly recommend you get a cheap mono laser printer. You can get compatible toner carts for a fraction of the price of genuine and the bonus is no more drying out of ink. You could let the printer sit for months at a time - fire it up and it'll be good to go.

My little Dell laser; which I purchased many years ago; cost me £34 and toner is approx £9 a cart so; as you can tell; running cost is very low. Just make sure you do your homework and investigate the price of toner. There's little point in getting a cheap 'bargain' printer if compat-toner isn't available and they'll cost you £40+ a pop!

Good luck. I hope you are successful in getting your printer going again.

All the best, Phsy.
Thanks. Appreciate your concern
it will more likely be the ink as you inkjet it yourself. we have a laser printer and we used to have an inkjet printer but we found the ink doesn't seem to last long on the inkjet. they tend to dry up if you don't use the printer often. a laser printer is better suited if you don't use the printer regularly.

when the toner cartridge is critically low, the letters in the sentences disappear. not all the letters, just random ones. also part of a line can disappear.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants