Found 23rd Feb 2009
My mum has recently got a new desktop pc. It didnt have wireless built in so got a usb adapter. It works fine with good signal until she connects her printer then the signal drops to low and even cutting off? Im confused as to what could cause this. there are no other usb devices connected.
Any ideas people?

3 Comments

when you say "connects her printer", how exactly?
If it's via usb it's possible the printer has software monitoring the printer status and this is polling the port so often it causes the dropout.
use msconfig/startup tab to remove any reference to printer utilities and see if this is the case

Aye, replace the wireless with a nice flat Cat6 ethernet cable. There's really no point running a desktop system with wireless, since for the sake of saving a ten minute cable fitting job, you're exposing yourself to exactly the sort of reliability and stability issues you're suffering now, plus the danger of drive-by hackers, and diminished performance.

Original Poster

maddogb;4462902

when you say "connects her printer", how exactly?If it's via usb it's … when you say "connects her printer", how exactly?If it's via usb it's possible the printer has software monitoring the printer status and this is polling the port so often it causes the dropout. use msconfig/startup tab to remove any reference to printer utilities and see if this is the case

i'll have a look at that.

dxx;4462907

Aye, replace the wireless with a nice flat Cat6 ethernet cable. There's … Aye, replace the wireless with a nice flat Cat6 ethernet cable. There's really no point running a desktop system with wireless, since for the sake of saving a ten minute cable fitting job, you're exposing yourself to exactly the sort of reliability and stability issues you're suffering now, plus the danger of drive-by hackers, and diminished performance.

i will put this option to her. when she finally decides where she is going to put the pc.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?43
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...88
    3. Driving anxiety.1517
    4. Xbox Newbie34

See more discussions