Printer help please.

Found 22nd Oct 2017
Hi,

My partner runs a business from home and her cannon printer is on the blink. She prints about 50 Hermes delivery notes a day and goes through a fair bit of ink.

I was just wondering what the best printers were for this type of thing and if there were any current deals.

Many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Brother HL-L2360DN - £80.39 delivered
- mono laser printer
- automatic duplex (two sided) printing
- iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and Mac OS compatible
- USB and Ethernet connections
- NOT wireless. However if you place it near your broadband router you can plug it in via a network cable everyone will be able to print via your home WiFi
- comes with an up 700 pages 'starter' toner cartridge in the box

very cheap generic/refurbished toner cartridges for under £10 each (up to 2,600pages @ 5% coverage)

the printer's imaging drum needs replacing approximately every 12,000 pages and costs ~ £11 for a generic/refurbished one
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd Oct 2017
Yep, I would agree, for 50+ pages a day, Laser Printer all day long.
Alternatively, if you would like colour printing, colour scanning and colour copying...

Colour Laserjet Pro MFP M377dw - £252 then claim £70 cashback to make it £182
- colour laser printer, scanner and copier
- automatic duplex (two sided) printing
- iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and Mac OS compatible
- USB, Ethernet and WiFi connections
- comes with a 2,300 pages (@ 5% coverage) black toner cartridge and 1,200 pages each for cyan, yellow and magenta in the box

Generic XL toners are 6,500 pages black and 5,000 pages each for cyan, magenta and yellow and cost just £100 per full set or < £30 for just the black cartridge on its own.

The printer is good for ~ 150,000 pages and then needs a new fuser unit, which costs as much as/more than the printer on its own.

redemption link for cashback
I run a business and print approximately 200 labels (UPS, Royal Mail Tracked and Hermes) labels a day. I use a thermal printer Zebra GK420D. Royal Mail supply the labels free of charge and there is no ink. Once you buy the printer there is no cost.

Other types of printers will always cost, never be totally suitable. Yes you need another printer as a standard black printer (we use lasers) but never be without a thermal printer if you are a serious seller and send items via the post.

Edit - apologies, I read that as Hermes address labels. If she's printing delivery notes, she needs to STOP! I send everything via email and my customers are more than happy. If you meant address labels then the Zebra is the answer.
Edited by: "windym" 22nd Oct 2017
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys, it is just strictly Hermes address labels she does at the minute however it would be nice to have the facility to print in colour etc.. so possibly 2 printers might be an option. Do lasers need a lot of maintenance?
snorth130 m ago

Thanks for the comments guys, it is just strictly Hermes address labels …Thanks for the comments guys, it is just strictly Hermes address labels she does at the minute however it would be nice to have the facility to print in colour etc.. so possibly 2 printers might be an option. Do lasers need a lot of maintenance?

There's no real maintenance, no. Perhaps a cleaning cycle now and again as sometimes the fuser can pick up little specs of toner that can appear as dots on your printouts. No big issue though. All laser printers use toner as opposed to 'ink' so finding one with good, cheaper compatible toner is a must as original toner carts can be very expensive. also, some laser printers have replaceable drums too that have a limited lifespan (albeit 10,000+ prints) so that's worth bearing in mind also. I have a Dell printer and toner carts are between £8-10 a time from Ebay. Brother printers are ok too and you can find compatibles for them if you look around. Best thing is, no messy inks to bother with, no leaks and no dried or blocked nozzles!

All the best, Phsy.
snorth152 m ago

Do lasers need a lot of maintenance?

Unless you print 1,000s of pages a month, not at all.

Personally I stopped using inkjet printers 5+ years ago, as laser printers are in my opinion more reliable and less fussy. However it is worth pointing out that I am totally biased, as I used to make money from selling/refurbishing HP Laserjet printers.
Still got two > 15 years old Laserjet 2200DN and 4050TN in use around the office today.
Hp printer all day long using ink off ebay
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions