Printers, all in ones

Posted 23rd Oct
My Dad's pixma from about 5 years ago looks to be biting the dust. 10 print head cleans show marginal improvement but still miles out of alignment. My guess is a new print head would fix it, but my guess is also that this would cost more than the printer... If even available these days.

Assuming I'm right on these points and we're after a new one with flatbed scanner, what's recommended for occasional printing and 'photocopying' as ny dad calls it?

Nothing fancy, also want to consider running costs and availability of 3rd party ink (is this a thing anymore?!)

I've not delved into the printer market for about 5 years so not sure how (if!) stuff has changed... Looking at deals not a lot I guess!

Any advice much appreciated Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
i just bought a hp for £35 its ok and they do a monthly plan for ink, theres diffrent prices but £2 a month gets you 50 pages and ink gets set to your house when you are running out.
Just as an FYI, believe it or not you shouldn't do more than about 3 cleans at a time. More than that can make it worse. You should do 1 or 2, then give it a rest and try again later. If the nozzles are really blocked, you can buy a nozzle cleaning kit for a few pounds on Ebay and this usually does the trick.

I get so many printers that are listed as "faulty" or "used to print but then just stopped" A nozzle clean and head check later...boom!

Regards, Phsy.
Interesting, this does seem new to me. My Dad's prone to 'accidents' with printing though! So one dodgy click and he could rinse his monthly allowance!
+1 for above..HP all in one and sign up for the £1.99 per month instant ink with rollover pages..we had 69 pages this month. So cheap your daft not to. Cancel anytime if you don't like it
Edited by: "wayners" 23rd Oct
Hi you can get an hour printer and join free hp instant ink scheme. Pay £1.99 a month get free ink to print 50 pages a month. It don't matter how much ink you go through. It's the pages that's counted. Google how instant ink it will tell you everything including what printers u need. Our printer was £39 it's a 3 in one or ok my copy scan. Prints photos etc
Phsycronix23/10/2019 20:12

Just as an FYI, believe it or not you shouldn't do more than about 3 …Just as an FYI, believe it or not you shouldn't do more than about 3 cleans at a time. More than that can make it worse. You should do 1 or 2, then give it a rest and try again later. If the nozzles are really blocked, you can buy a nozzle cleaning kit for a few pounds on Ebay and this usually does the trick.I get so many printers that are listed as "faulty" or "used to print but then just stopped" A nozzle clean and head check later...boom!Regards, Phsy.

Thanks mate that's actually how it played out,. I think I did about 5-6 of them, then the final two seemed worse, so ties in with what you're saying.

Are the nozel cleaning kits unique to the printer or generic?

Thanks.
As above. HP have the instant ink facility available with certain printers. Prices start from 15 pages a month (free), 50 pages a month £1.99 a month and so on. When the printer runs out of ink it orders more automatically providing your printer is connected to wifi.

instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/…z23

The printers are reasonably priced too.
I saw a colour printer, copier and scanner with the instant ink thing for £29 in Tesco yesterday.
38739069-6NgLa.jpg
HP Instant Ink is lifetime £zero/m if max 15 pages/month. Just sayin.
Wow, quite a few comments about this instant ink malarkey. So are the days of getting 'compatible' ink for say 3 quid instead of 'official' ink for £27 dead these days then in favour of this? Or is it just a HP thing?
oldskooladdict23/10/2019 20:18

Thanks mate that's actually how it played out,. I think I did about 5-6 of …Thanks mate that's actually how it played out,. I think I did about 5-6 of them, then the final two seemed worse, so ties in with what you're saying.Are the nozel cleaning kits unique to the printer or generic?Thanks.

The fluid is pretty generic but the "kit" to clean the nozzles IS specific as nozzle size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Just search on Ebay for Canon Pixma (model) cleaning kit - then pay attention to the different sizes as you can sometimes get better kits for a cheaper price than worse ones. For example, one might have two bottles of solution for the same (or cheaper) than a kit with only one. Sometimes EVEN from the same seller! They're a bit crafty, some of em!
I would suggest picking up an older gen Epson A-I-O as they can take filthy cheap compats. I get cartridges - again off Ebay - for pennies in reality. The last lot I bought was something like 16 carts for approx £3.50. You do have to do your research on models though as some of the newer ones refuse compats.

I haven't ever needed to explore "Instant Ink" that people have mentioned but it is certainly a viable option. If however your Dad prints mainly in B & W (i.e. documents) then I can wholeheartedly recommend investing in a laser printer. Not as expensive as you think either. My Dell has compat toner at around £9 and; as apposed to ink; never dries out. I can leave it for a year - fire it up, and it's good to go.
oldskooladdict23/10/2019 20:22

Wow, quite a few comments about this instant ink malarkey. So are the days …Wow, quite a few comments about this instant ink malarkey. So are the days of getting 'compatible' ink for say 3 quid instead of 'official' ink for £27 dead these days then in favour of this? Or is it just a HP thing?

It’s just an hp thing. Gone are the days you’d spend £27 a time for a set of inks. Pay monthly on 4 different plans depending on anticipated use and the kind people at hp keep an eye on your printer ink levels and when they think you’re running low, they send a set of replacement inks to you free of charge, direct to your door. No need to contact them or anything, it’s as if it’s all done by magic.
You can usually find printers around £40 with 4-6 months free ink trial included.
38739267-HsqJr.jpg
+1 for the HP printers with the instant ink price plan to suit your needs!

I have the £3.49 pm plan which works out perfectly for my kids printing homework on a daily basis - and you can up/down your plan to suit your needs.

Also worth noting, some of the hp printers on offer come with a 4+ months free trial on the instant ink which you can set at the top tier to run lots of prints and then drop down to a lower tier before the free trial runs out! - perfect if you need to run lots of prints!
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 23rd Oct
Certainly seems to be the way the tide is going around here! Thanks for the endorsements of it. There is a part of me who always craves unlimited anything, probably from the early days of the net when downloads were capped and stuff like that. In reality I doubt he would need to print too much.

So in a circumstance like we're in now, say you didn't print for 3 months and the heads seased up and the print out came out crap, or didn't come out, do HP fix the printer or what?!
hi if you use this refer link you get an extra 1 month free for any printing. try.hpinstantink.com/vQWSj
oldskooladdict23/10/2019 21:02

Certainly seems to be the way the tide is going around here! Thanks for …Certainly seems to be the way the tide is going around here! Thanks for the endorsements of it. There is a part of me who always craves unlimited anything, probably from the early days of the net when downloads were capped and stuff like that. In reality I doubt he would need to print too much.So in a circumstance like we're in now, say you didn't print for 3 months and the heads seased up and the print out came out crap, or didn't come out, do HP fix the printer or what?!

They send new cartridge. Printer head is built in cartridge. Just send the printer one document every few weeks to keep it going. You will have an email address for the printer so send it something to print. This can be a good way to communicate with your dad too and keep it going fine.
Edited by: "wayners" 23rd Oct
Amount of stuff I order online sure I'd need to do a return label or two I a month, cheers
So how many months do you get free prints then??
Never knew but I have heard about it

Pretty fed up of my Ricoh Africo printer
Edited by: "Misslovely" 23rd Oct
Pick up one of the HP Envy all in ones on eBay second hand or refurbished for next to nothing. Something like the 5540 range eg 5540, 5541, 5543, 5544, 5546, 5547, 5548.
Or if you want to print a huge amount of stuff over the next year, buy a new one (think there was an offer for £70 with £30 cashback) and use the free trial on a higher volume of prints a month and go wild.
Second hand and £1.99x12 a year is the one which will work for most people and gives you 50 prints a month.
HP are really good and let a certain amount of your unused prints rollover, also they have a charge for going over you allowance (quite expensive), but if you upgrade your plan before the next month you can start the new higher amount straight away and remove any extra charges, which I'm pretty sure many other companies wouldn't allow you to do.
Another +1 for HP and instant ink scheme. Got one last year and I'm very happy with it. It's my first WiFi printer and being able to print from phone anywhere is great; don't have to forward web links to my laptop by email, fire up laptop, open email etc in order to print a page or a pdf.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 24th Oct
Going over your print allowance on HP Instant Ink is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. You have no easy way of telling you how many pages are left in your allowance. The printer cartridges comes with new printer heads. HP will never help you fix a faulty printer although you may get some answers from elsewhere. You get one giant ink cartridge that will last 6-12 months depending on your allowance so you dont get a new ink every month. The inks are all chipped so when you stop Instant Ink your printing stops as well as HP switch off the chips.
oldskooladdict23/10/2019 20:22

Wow, quite a few comments about this instant ink malarkey. So are the days …Wow, quite a few comments about this instant ink malarkey. So are the days of getting 'compatible' ink for say 3 quid instead of 'official' ink for £27 dead these days then in favour of this? Or is it just a HP thing?

I have an Epson only a cheap one and use compatible inks you can buy from amazon for about £8 or 2 full sets For £15 print quality is still good with them. Lasts a long time for occasional printing, I wouldn’t touch instant Ink if he is prone to print mistakes because by design this would be expensive.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 24th Oct
googley224/10/2019 06:25

Going over your print allowance on HP Instant Ink is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. …Going over your print allowance on HP Instant Ink is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. You have no easy way of telling you how many pages are left in your allowance. The printer cartridges comes with new printer heads. HP will never help you fix a faulty printer although you may get some answers from elsewhere. You get one giant ink cartridge that will last 6-12 months depending on your allowance so you dont get a new ink every month. The inks are all chipped so when you stop Instant Ink your printing stops as well as HP switch off the chips.

You have to signin to the website and it tells you, also I get an email when I get close to the limit. A black cartridge and a tri colour one is £25 together and they will print together a mixture of about 300 colour and b&w prints, if they last a year before they dry out that's £35 for the year. You could compare that to the instant ink £1.99 a month, which would be £24 a year and that gets you 50 prints a month, so 600 prints a year. We've just knocked it up to £7.99 a month and 300 prints for the Mrs card business. If you used XL cartridges or compatible inks it might be cheaper if you print loads, by I really like the fact you can change the subscription up and down.
googley224/10/2019 06:25

Going over your print allowance on HP Instant Ink is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. …Going over your print allowance on HP Instant Ink is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. You have no easy way of telling you how many pages are left in your allowance. The printer cartridges comes with new printer heads. HP will never help you fix a faulty printer although you may get some answers from elsewhere. You get one giant ink cartridge that will last 6-12 months depending on your allowance so you dont get a new ink every month. The inks are all chipped so when you stop Instant Ink your printing stops as well as HP switch off the chips.

You get an email to say you've hit limit plus easy to bookmark the login to look. £1 for 10 more pages is cheap enough. Imo
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants