Printers with free trial of HP instant ink

Posted 2nd Nov
I'm looking at buying a new printer. I've looked at an HP printer that comes with a free 2 month trial of instant ink, however, when I add it to the basket, it suggest ink cartridges to buy for it as well. I was under the impression that the printer came with the cartridges already loaded up with instant ink - is this not the case then? Do you have to buy a set of ink cartridges to start off - and once you have used that ink up, you are sent 2 months free of instant ink? I'm only asking, as I was hoping to buy the printer and print something straight away, but didn't want the additional cost of paying out for ink cartridges as well if the printer does not come with any? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
All HP printers that are eligible for the Instant Ink option are supplied with ink carts, although those carts may be reduced-capacity starter carts. All those printers are also eligible for a lifetime of freebie ink assuming you will not print more than 15ppm; and HP reasonably covers it bottom by stating in the t&c that the lifetime freebie plan may be withrawn at any time, although it's been available for quite some time with no indication of it disappearing, yet...
Once your sign up for instant ink they’ll send you some ink.
Usually though when your buy printers there is some ink that comes with it
AndyRoyd02/11/2019 16:49

All HP printers that are eligible for the Instant Ink option are supplied …All HP printers that are eligible for the Instant Ink option are supplied with ink carts, although those carts may be reduced-capacity starter carts. All those printers are also eligible for a lifetime of freebie ink assuming you will not print more than 15ppm; and HP reasonably covers it bottom by stating in the t&c that the lifetime freebie plan may be withrawn at any time, although it's been available for quite some time with no indication of it disappearing, yet...

I had a quick look on the HP site and it said about the packages that you could buy for instant ink. The cheapest that they had there was £1.99 for 50 pages, but I could see no mention of 15 pages free a month. If the 15 pages per month is still free, I assume that they would only send out enough ink to print those 15 pages? I really don't print many pages a month so the 15 pages free a month would be ideal if that offer is still ongoing. Thank you.
Sophiasky02/11/2019 17:00

I had a quick look on the HP site and it said about the packages that you …I had a quick look on the HP site and it said about the packages that you could buy for instant ink. The cheapest that they had there was £1.99 for 50 pages, but I could see no mention of 15 pages free a month. If the 15 pages per month is still free, I assume that they would only send out enough ink to print those 15 pages? I really don't print many pages a month so the 15 pages free a month would be ideal if that offer is still ongoing. Thank you.

The free plan is only there for new users. No page rollover included. If you switch to a paid plan you can't switch back. I think the 50 pages + 50 page rollover for £1.99 is a better plan but only if you are at risk of going over!

HP will send you lots of ink, but they send special Instant Ink cartridges. You must have an internet connection to print. The printer will still print once your 15 pages are up, but HP will automatically charge your payment method extra. If you give an invalid payment method or have no internet connected, the printer will not be allowed to print with those cartridges.

Also don't forget to use codes FREEINK and a referral code for an extra 2 months free.
Edited by: "jamie15" 2nd Nov
jamie1502/11/2019 17:13

The free plan is only there for new users. No page rollover included. If …The free plan is only there for new users. No page rollover included. If you switch to a paid plan you can't switch back. I think the 50 pages + 50 page rollover for £1.99 is a better plan but only if you are at risk of going over!HP will send you lots of ink, but they send special Instant Ink cartridges. You must have an internet connection to print. The printer will still print once your 15 pages are up, but HP will automatically charge your payment method extra. If you give an invalid payment method or have no internet connected, the printer will not be allowed to print with those cartridges.Also don't forget to use codes FREEINK and a referral code for an extra 2 months free.

So, if I choose to do the 15 pages free a month, I can't change over to the £1.99 plan in the future then? The HP printers say that they come with two months of instant ink, if I choose to do the £1.99 plan, I don't start paying until month 3 then, but do I have to wait for a card or something to be sent to me to get the 2 months of ink free and does that mean I can't actually print anything until the plan is activated - sorry, I'm not sure if the two months of instant ink is already in the box with the printer when you buy it? Also, you say about using the codes, FREEINK and a referral code for an extra 2 months free - do you have the referral code? Thank you.
Sophiasky02/11/2019 17:49

So, if I choose to do the 15 pages free a month, I can't change over to …So, if I choose to do the 15 pages free a month, I can't change over to the £1.99 plan in the future then? The HP printers say that they come with two months of instant ink, if I choose to do the £1.99 plan, I don't start paying until month 3 then, but do I have to wait for a card or something to be sent to me to get the 2 months of ink free and does that mean I can't actually print anything until the plan is activated - sorry, I'm not sure if the two months of instant ink is already in the box with the printer when you buy it? Also, you say about using the codes, FREEINK and a referral code for an extra 2 months free - do you have the referral code? Thank you.

You must choose the free ink 15 page plan at point of sign up. If you proceed to use the 2 months trial you can't switch back to the 15 pages free.

The 2 months free ink will be included in the printer. FREEINK code gives an extra third month. PM sent for the 4th.
jamie1502/11/2019 17:51

You must choose the free ink 15 page plan at point of sign up. If you …You must choose the free ink 15 page plan at point of sign up. If you proceed to use the 2 months trial you can't switch back to the 15 pages free.The 2 months free ink will be included in the printer. FREEINK code gives an extra third month. PM sent for the 4th.

Thank you jamie15, much appreciated.
Sophiasky02/11/2019 17:52

Thank you jamie15, much appreciated.

No problem Also if you start on the free plan, you can upgrade at any time. It's just downgrading back to the free plan which is not possible.
jamie1502/11/2019 17:53

No problem Also if you start on the free plan, you can upgrade at any …No problem Also if you start on the free plan, you can upgrade at any time. It's just downgrading back to the free plan which is not possible.

Ok, thank you.
Iv just signed up too. Was awkward a bit plus no opinion for free 15 page at the end so went ahead with £1.99 and did a chat line with them to change it 15 pages.

Obviously you get free ink with any printer!
The printer comes with a starter pack of cartridges. So as long as you've got the paper you'll be ok to start printing as soon as you've set the printer up.

Once it's all set up go online to the HP instant ink website, create an account then choose your option.

I personally would go with the free 15 page a month one to start off as you can always upgrade if needed but can't downgrade.

However, as far as I am aware you don't get the 2 months free if you go for the free option - I might be wrong.

The printer will automatically order ink as and when required according to your usage as long as it's connected to the internet.

If you do choose to go with the free package then any prints you do that are over the 15 page monthly allowance will cost 10p each (colour and black & white all cost the same) and this will be charged to the debit card you add when you sign up.

...I could see no mention of 15 pages free a month.

Sometimes need to scroll left to see the freebie plan:
38888292-H73uB.jpg

...I assume that they would only send out enough ink to print those 15 …...I assume that they would only send out enough ink to print those 15 pages? I really don't print many pages a month so the 15 pages free a month would be ideal if that offer is still ongoing. Thank you.

HP simply send full carts as and when your printer warns HP you are running low.
Sophiasky02/11/2019 17:49

So, if I choose to do the 15 pages free a month, I can't change over to …So, if I choose to do the 15 pages free a month, I can't change over to the £1.99 plan in the future then?

jamie1502/11/2019 17:51

...you can't switch back to the 15 pages free.

Actually you can switch back to the freebie 15ppm. Simply cease the subscription and remove the printer from your HP account - just as if you were selling the printer to someone and were removing the printer's association to you. Then signup again for the freebie plan.
AndyRoyd02/11/2019 21:37

Actually you can switch back to the freebie 15ppm. Simply cease the …Actually you can switch back to the freebie 15ppm. Simply cease the subscription and remove the printer from your HP account - just as if you were selling the printer to someone and were removing the printer's association to you. Then signup again for the freebie plan.

Would HP not notice if shipment address is the same? I am not sure about this.

Though if you do deregister and register again, the current cartridges will cease to work and have to be returned to HP. Then new cartridges will be sent out.
jamie1502/11/2019 21:47

Would HP not notice if shipment address is the same? I am not sure about …Would HP not notice if shipment address is the same? I am not sure about this.Though if you do deregister and register again, the current cartridges will cease to work and have to be returned to HP. Then new cartridges will be sent out.

The workaround was functional about a year ago when someone posted the methodology on here, although it may be difficult to easily find that / those specific post(s). A successful variation on the theme is indicated at this post hotukdeals.com/com…096
I've bought a printer that is being delivered on Monday and it says that 2 months instant ink is included. Somebody above mentioned that they think that you don't get the 2 months instant ink if you decide to go for the free option of 15 pages a month - is that correct? I thought that with the 2 months instant free ink, that would be used up first and then you would have the option to continue with the free 15 pages a month or sign up for one of the plans? Does anybody know the answer to this? Thank you.
Sophiasky02/11/2019 17:55

Ok, thank you.

Sophiasky02/11/2019 22:30

I've bought a printer that is being delivered on Monday and it says that 2 …I've bought a printer that is being delivered on Monday and it says that 2 months instant ink is included. Somebody above mentioned that they think that you don't get the 2 months instant ink if you decide to go for the free option of 15 pages a month - is that correct? I thought that with the 2 months instant free ink, that would be used up first and then you would have the option to continue with the free 15 pages a month or sign up for one of the plans? Does anybody know the answer to this? Thank you.

If you choose 15 pages option, you can't get the two months free on any plan. You must sign up to a paid plan for the free ink. Also use codes FREEINK and a referral code for 2 extra months free.

You are not allowed to revert to 15 page plan after switching to a paid plan. However, there may be workarounds such as the one suggested by @AndyRoyd.
Edited by: "jamie15" 2nd Nov
Sophiasky02/11/2019 22:30

I've bought a printer that is being delivered on Monday and it says that 2 …I've bought a printer that is being delivered on Monday and it says that 2 months instant ink is included. Somebody above mentioned that they think that you don't get the 2 months instant ink if you decide to go for the free option of 15 pages a month - is that correct? I thought that with the 2 months instant free ink, that would be used up first and then you would have the option to continue with the free 15 pages a month or sign up for one of the plans? Does anybody know the answer to this? Thank you.

...I really don't print many pages a month so the 15 pages free a month …...I really don't print many pages a month so the 15 pages free a month would be ideal if that offer is still ongoing. Thank you.

So no point in bothering with the inclusive II period provided with the printer; maybe save some mild faff and go straight to the freebie II plan?
Thank you for all of your advice. I'll have to consider what will be the best option for me - free or the £1.99 plan (I would definitely not need more than 50 pages a month). My 12-year-old prints things out but usually does it at school as the school give the children a free photocopying card to use in the library. The cost for a whole year on the £1.99 plan would still be a lot less than what I have been paying for ink cartridges for my current Canon Pixma printer. I also like the fact that I wouldn't have to spend time shopping around online looking for the cheapest place to buy the ink refills (like I usually do for the Canon printer).
Sophiasky02/11/2019 22:52

Thank you for all of your advice. I'll have to consider what will be the …Thank you for all of your advice. I'll have to consider what will be the best option for me - free or the £1.99 plan (I would definitely not need more than 50 pages a month). My 12-year-old prints things out but usually does it at school as the school give the children a free photocopying card to use in the library. The cost for a whole year on the £1.99 plan would still be a lot less than what I have been paying for ink cartridges for my current Canon Pixma printer. I also like the fact that I wouldn't have to spend time shopping around online looking for the cheapest place to buy the ink refills (like I usually do for the Canon printer).

And you are given a prepaid label + packaging to send back the cartridges for recycling for free.

If you do not use all 50 pages, it will also roll over up to a maximum of 50 pages so that's a good bonus. Unfortunately this isn't possible with the free plan.
Sophiasky02/11/2019 22:52

Thank you for all of your advice. I'll have to consider what will be the …Thank you for all of your advice. I'll have to consider what will be the best option for me - free or the £1.99 plan (I would definitely not need more than 50 pages a month). My 12-year-old prints things out but usually does it at school as the school give the children a free photocopying card to use in the library. The cost for a whole year on the £1.99 plan would still be a lot less than what I have been paying for ink cartridges for my current Canon Pixma printer. I also like the fact that I wouldn't have to spend time shopping around online looking for the cheapest place to buy the ink refills (like I usually do for the Canon printer).

Is it possible to delay enrollment to an II plan? If so, check the rated capacity of the (starter?) carts shipped with the printer you have purchased. Estimate how long it would likely be before your usage would exhaust those carts. Example: if the shipped carts are rated at typically 300 pages, then your possible usage of say 20-30ppm would mean they would last a year before you may need your preferred II plan. Is that £25 saved?
AndyRoyd03/11/2019 00:10

Is it possible to delay enrollment to an II plan? If so, check the rated …Is it possible to delay enrollment to an II plan? If so, check the rated capacity of the (starter?) carts shipped with the printer you have purchased. Estimate how long it would likely be before your usage would exhaust those carts. Example: if the shipped carts are rated at typically 300 pages, then your possible usage of say 20-30ppm would mean they would last a year before you may need your preferred II plan. Is that £25 saved?

I'm not too sure. Does anybody know how long the starter cartridges last for - how many pages you can get out them? If they last for quite a few pages, it would be good to delay signing up to the £1.99 plan, if you are able to do that, and still get the 2 months free of ink say in a couple of months when you sign up to the paid plan. However, maybe if you start on the 15 pages and later want to change over to the paid plan, the offer is no longer available. I'm also assuming that you can check on the HP website to see how many pages you have used/have left each month - I wonder if it shows you how much ink is left in the cartridges as well?
Sophiasky03/11/2019 12:25

I'm not too sure. Does anybody know how long the starter cartridges last …I'm not too sure. Does anybody know how long the starter cartridges last for - how many pages you can get out them? If they last for quite a few pages, it would be good to delay signing up to the £1.99 plan, if you are able to do that, and still get the 2 months free of ink say in a couple of months when you sign up to the paid plan. However, maybe if you start on the 15 pages and later want to change over to the paid plan, the offer is no longer available. I'm also assuming that you can check on the HP website to see how many pages you have used/have left each month - I wonder if it shows you how much ink is left in the cartridges as well?

I'll partly answer my own question:
"...If you already have a Printer and sign up to Instant Ink, we will send you a Welcome Package with your HP Instant Ink cartridges. Your billing cycle starts when you insert your first HP Instant Ink cartridges in your enrolled printer,"
which implies you can exhaust / near-exhaust the (starter?) carts supplied with the printer prior to sign up.
Sophiasky03/11/2019 12:25

.. Does anybody know how long the starter cartridges last for - how many ….. Does anybody know how long the starter cartridges last for - how many pages you can get out them?

Possibly stated at following URL, although it may be for North American models www8.hp.com/h71…tml otherwise tailor websearch for << printer model starter + pages >> or << printer model starter + page yield >> or similar.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants