Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Printing from android phone to HP printer - Help needed please.

Posted 1st Dec
I have a HP Envy 5010. I am trying to set up printing from my android phone but I'm just going round and round in circles - everything keeps redirecting me to put the WiFi on and print through that.

3352940.jpg
I have followed the step by step video instructions under the 'Android smartphones and tablets' menu here support.hp.com/us-…030. But it keeps asking me to set up wifi.

I don't have home WiFi. I have internet on my phone so there is an internet connection available via my hotspot.

I am able to print from my laptop without any problem

Can anyone help at all? Would be very grateful.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
My HP prints from my phone via Bluetooth, not sure is you have the option to do that but maybe try
How are you printing from your laptop, is it via a USB cable? Also it would be very helpful if you told us what model printer you have and what model phone you are trying to print from.
If it’s wireless then sometimes you have to wait a few minutes after you turn it on then try and print it and it will come up with the list of printers to connect to if yours doesn’t come up then maybe connect to the printer WiFi and try again but it should work
I’m sure hp printers have an email address can you connect it to your hotspot then send the print job to the email address ,failing that send from phone to laptop by email and print from laptop
Haircut_10001/12/2019 22:22

How are you printing from your laptop, is it via a USB cable? Also it …How are you printing from your laptop, is it via a USB cable? Also it would be very helpful if you told us what model printer you have and what model phone you are trying to print from.

Sorry and thank you for the pointers. I am in that frustrated zone so not seeing straight. I have edited the main post and have added more detail.
alison19701/12/2019 22:18

My HP prints from my phone via Bluetooth, not sure is you have the option …My HP prints from my phone via Bluetooth, not sure is you have the option to do that but maybe try

The printer has bluetooth and it does come up on the list of available bluetooth devices but just won't pair.... Keeps saying pairing then goes off.
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 1st Dec
discozohan01/12/2019 22:30

I’m sure hp printers have an email address can you connect it to your h …I’m sure hp printers have an email address can you connect it to your hotspot then send the print job to the email address ,failing that send from phone to laptop by email and print from laptop

It's working fine from the laptop which is great THANK THE LORD

But I need to be able to print from my phone without having to switch the laptop on.
AndyRoyd01/12/2019 22:27

Email the print job to the printer? …Email the print job to the printer? https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03721293

Took a good 5 minutes to come through but it did work so thanks for that

Ok, 2nd time came through much quicker so that's great!
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 1st Dec
I have managed to resolve this by using another printing app and that's working perfectly fine. For some reason the HP Print Service Plugin app just won't work for me.

Just need to get to the bottom of the bluetooth part and I'm sorted. Will contact HP about that tomorrow.
alison19701/12/2019 22:18

My HP prints from my phone via Bluetooth, not sure is you have the option …My HP prints from my phone via Bluetooth, not sure is you have the option to do that but maybe try

discozohan01/12/2019 22:30

I’m sure hp printers have an email address can you connect it to your h …I’m sure hp printers have an email address can you connect it to your hotspot then send the print job to the email address ,failing that send from phone to laptop by email and print from laptop

Katak101/12/2019 22:29

If it’s wireless then sometimes you have to wait a few minutes after you t …If it’s wireless then sometimes you have to wait a few minutes after you turn it on then try and print it and it will come up with the list of printers to connect to if yours doesn’t come up then maybe connect to the printer WiFi and try again but it should work

AndyRoyd01/12/2019 22:27

Email the print job to the printer? …Email the print job to the printer? https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03721293

Haircut_10001/12/2019 22:22

How are you printing from your laptop, is it via a USB cable? Also it …How are you printing from your laptop, is it via a USB cable? Also it would be very helpful if you told us what model printer you have and what model phone you are trying to print from.

Even though I managed to resolve the issue eventually and talked to myself a lot in the process (as is visible above) I am very grateful for your assistance all the same because you took the time out to reply and I didn't feel so alone in the process.

I also learnt how to email my printer thanks @AndyRoyd and @discozohan .
FWIW:

Although you seem to have it sort-of-sorted... It's worth mentioning how I routinely print to my own WiFi printer... It's a Canon (ip110) but *just maybe* the same method applies to your HP printer...

Does this help?:

When you have your own home-wifi, you connect your phone to it to get internet.
1 - You go to Android settings (or power-options or whatever)
2 - You long-tap the WiFi symbol to see a list of available WiFis
3 - You tap one of them to connect to it (then give it username/password to actually connect)

In your case, I believe 'hotspot' is the same thing as home WiFi... (close enough anyway)

Your printer is probably providing the same thing as WiFi/hotspot... (pretending to be a router, which is good)

You *may* just have to connect your phone to the printer's idea of WiFi/hotspot to make it work... (which is what I do)

Then the App might work
(IGNORE instructions re 'setting up wifi', just get your phone connected to the printer's-own WiFi-thing, THEN try the App)

In any case, I had to use my printer via USB to get it working initially, then wade through settings to make sure the printer was actually doing what I suggest above (ie 'pretending' to be a WiFi router... Which it is). I had to check the name it called itself in my phone's list of available WiFis, set a password, use my noodle re whatever other settings I could see... In then end I could print from my laptop easily enough by WiFi... I have to wait a few minutes for the printer to boot properly then it works spanking gorgeous...

(I'm tempted now to fire up my ip110 and try printing from my phone... It's unfair of me to wait until now to state clearly I haven't printed from my phone but maybe you have now?)
Edited by: "wide" 2nd Dec
wide02/12/2019 02:09

FWIW: Although you seem to have it sort-of-sorted... It's worth mentioning …FWIW: Although you seem to have it sort-of-sorted... It's worth mentioning how I routinely print to my own WiFi printer... It's a Canon (ip110) but *just maybe* the same method applies to your HP printer... Does this help?: When you have your own home-wifi, you connect your phone to it to get internet. 1 - You go to Android settings (or power-options or whatever) 2 - You long-tap the WiFi symbol to see a list of available WiFis 3 - You tap one of them to connect to it (then give it username/password to actually connect) In your case, I believe 'hotspot' is the same thing as home WiFi... (close enough anyway) Your printer is probably providing the same thing as WiFi/hotspot... (pretending to be a router, which is good)You *may* just have to connect your phone to the printer's idea of WiFi/hotspot to make it work... (which is what I do) Then the App might work (IGNORE instructions re 'setting up wifi', just get your phone connected to the printer's-own WiFi-thing, THEN try the App)In any case, I had to use my printer via USB to get it working initially, then wade through settings to make sure the printer was actually doing what I suggest above (ie 'pretending' to be a WiFi router... Which it is). I had to check the name it called itself in my phone's list of available WiFis, set a password, use my noodle re whatever other settings I could see... In then end I could print from my laptop easily enough by WiFi... I have to wait a few minutes for the printer to boot properly then it works spanking gorgeous... (I'm tempted now to fire up my ip110 and try printing from my phone... It's unfair of me to wait until now to state clearly I haven't printed from my phone but maybe you have now?)

Ok. I'll try these steps later today. Will let you know how I get on
So how are you printing from your laptop? Using the wi-fi direct method detailed in your link in some other way?

Also, exactly what's going wrong when you try and configure your phone would be helpful. 'Going in circles' doesn't provide many clues.

Have you tried using the printer in the standard way? Your phone hotspot is the same sort of local network as that run by a landline connection router, so if your connect your printer to that it should work normally.
EndlessWaves02/12/2019 17:35

So how are you printing from your laptop? Using the wi-fi direct method …So how are you printing from your laptop? Using the wi-fi direct method detailed in your link in some other way?Also, exactly what's going wrong when you try and configure your phone would be helpful. 'Going in circles' doesn't provide many clues. Have you tried using the printer in the standard way? Your phone hotspot is the same sort of local network as that run by a landline connection router, so if your connect your printer to that it should work normally.

My thoughts are that because my laptop is connected to my phone hotspot it's working fine as my phone is a 3rd party providing the means for printer and router to connect.

With the phone printing it feels like it needs to be connected to a separate device that has an internet connection in order for it to work.

So this is what happens:

Go to image, choose print
39235936-IN2JA.jpg
Click all printers
39235936-LPYyX.jpg
Click add printer
39235936-HeWK0.jpg

When I click on HP print service it doesn't do anything at all.
So I choose cloud print.
39235936-K5o5D.jpg

Yesterday at this stage it was asking me to put the WiFi on. Today strangely it says:
39235936-sCik8.jpg

Then after much trying39235936-JYPZx.jpg

It did say on the printer that the mobile has successfully connected but then said above.
If I try to go down the share route (share via HP service plug in the next stage is

39235965-i2dss.jpg
HP support suggested I should connect my phone to the printer WiFi connection. That does connect as can be seen here
39236021-QDHD1.jpg

But when I click on the HP print option it says

39236021-yKk3F.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions