Printing photos at home from a phone with no Wi-Fi, is it possible?

Found 6th Jul
My 80 year old Auntie has a Samsung and she's asked if theres any way she can print photos directly from it.

However, she doesn't have internet at home, therefore no router, so doubt it could be connected by wifi, but is there any way of connecting a phone and printer without a router? At a push I could put an old router in and connect them like that, however as its a 400 mile round trip it really is a last resort.

Any recommendations for how to do it and what printer?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
WiFi hotspot network can work maybe
Borrow a neighbours internet?
I have a Samsung and I can print with my HP Printer without internet. Your printer should have come with a cable that is USB-A (the big USB size) for plugging in and printing with a PC.

However, this can be used with the phone too if you use the USB to micro-USB/type-C adapter included in the phone box. All you need to make sure is that the HP Print Service Plugin is installed! As it's a wired connection, internet is not required.

Hope this helps, if you need any more details let me know and I'll try and help
some printers support NFC
might be cheap just to print booots
WiFi direct goes from phone to printer.
MIDURIX29 m ago

WiFi direct goes from phone to printer.

Meaning that the printer may advertise its own Wi-Fi which you can connect to for the purposes of printing.
Asura2 h, 22 m ago

some printers support NFC

NFC is just a configuration mechanism, at least on my HP Officejet. All it does is prompt the phone to connect to the printer's wi-fi direct connection.
Sid.Harper9 h, 2 m ago

Meaning that the printer may advertise its own Wi-Fi which you can connect …Meaning that the printer may advertise its own Wi-Fi which you can connect to for the purposes of printing.

Really? I thought you would connect for the purpose of balloon animal making
usb 4g dongle connected to printer. You then email printer with photos ect. Can be good to as family can send letters and notes to relative which will print out. You could set up then post printer so good to go
Edited by: "wayners" 7th Jul
Hope OPs auntie has awesome IT skills as it's none of these options are straight forward. The days of just plugging the printer in and printing are long gone unfortunately.
thanks guys, a few things to look at there. yeah @kester76 I was thinking the same, no she doesn't, not at all lol, so might be a day out for me I think
julieallen38 m ago

thanks guys, a few things to look at there. yeah @kester76 I was thinking …thanks guys, a few things to look at there. yeah @kester76 I was thinking the same, no she doesn't, not at all lol, so might be a day out for me I think

WiFi direct can be reasonably easy.
Does she have a printer at the moment? If not could you buy it, pre-configure it with a router. Post it to her and once plugged in talk her through using WiFi in the phone?

I’m pretty sure things like the Canon Selphy C1300 allows for almost straight up direct print. It’s designed to be portable, negating the need for a router.
I would say tge easiest option is plug a usb cable from printer to phone and print that way. But why does she want to do it at home the quality of the prints is rarely good.
Can't she get to like an asda? They have the photo printing machines and if she gets stuck someone can help her too.
adhkarzf25 m ago

I would say tge easiest option is plug a usb cable from printer to phone …I would say tge easiest option is plug a usb cable from printer to phone and print that way. But why does she want to do it at home the quality of the prints is rarely good. Can't she get to like an asda? They have the photo printing machines and if she gets stuck someone can help her too.

She’s 80 not all people are fit to go out.

As for quality of print, I have to disagree. The C1300 I mentioned above will be similar if not better than some print shops. I also have a Canon iP8750 and it is really good. Could it be better, yes but not for anything I need. Home printers have come a long way.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants