Groups

Prison sentences a joke?

27 Comments

In this case yes.....

Wouldnt call it a joke. He wasnt drunk, just lack of concerntration. How many people can honestly say they havent check their phone whilst driving when the recieve a text

Chidda;6460646

Wouldnt call it a joke. He wasnt drunk, just lack of concerntration. How … Wouldnt call it a joke. He wasnt drunk, just lack of concerntration. How many people can honestly say they havent check their phone whilst driving when the recieve a text

yep just seems to be a tragic accident caused by a moments lack of concentration that could happen to anyone of us.

Banned

out of interest what would you class as an acceptable sentance

got to agree with chidda

don't know the specifics of this case, but the guy hasn't set out to kill someone.

prison sentences in this country should be more reflective of the intention of the offender IMO.

Yes and no, this kind of offense is normally a one of, it wasn't premeditated, it wasn't done intentionally and was down to a lapse in common sense, no sentence is going to replace the loved one people have lost and the guilty has to live with this the rest of his life, which is punishment in itself. (Think how you would feel if an act of your own stupidity ripped someones life away?)

People mistakenly believe prison sentences are given and to be served as a punishment, yet the prison service statement declares it to be "for the education, training and rehabilitation of offenders".

Prison will be harder for this guy has it involves mixing with people who are not in his peer group, ie habitual offenders in the main part.

As far as rehabilitation goes it will likely be an ETS group (Enhanced thinking skills)

Laws in this country are archaic.

Chidda;6460646

Wouldnt call it a joke. He wasnt drunk, just lack of concerntration. How … Wouldnt call it a joke. He wasnt drunk, just lack of concerntration. How many people can honestly say they havent check their phone whilst driving when the recieve a text

I can, I keep my mobile phone in the glove box, switched off when driving.;-)

In some cases yes, in this case, no.

The sentence will also take into account that he admittted using his mp3,

he was checking an mp3 player whilst driving. its just as irresponsiblle as someone who drives under the influence of drink or drugs - do they intentionally go out to kill, when their negligence results in death ? appalling sentence! he caused death - manslaughter at least.

rugger-tyke;6461375

he was checking an mp3 player whilst driving. its just as irresponsiblle … he was checking an mp3 player whilst driving. its just as irresponsiblle as someone who drives under the influence of drink or drugs - do they intentionally go out to kill, when their negligence results in death ? appalling sentence! he caused death - manslaughter at least.

not the same at all

rugger-tyke;6461375

he was checking an mp3 player whilst driving. its just as irresponsiblle … he was checking an mp3 player whilst driving. its just as irresponsiblle as someone who drives under the influence of drink or drugs - do they intentionally go out to kill, when their negligence results in death ? appalling sentence! he caused death - manslaughter at least.

Its not as irresponsiblle (sic.) at all - yes it was a major error of judgement and the consequences were dire, but being distracted by changing a track on an mp3 is not in the same league as causing death by DUI. Nearly all cars come fitted with stereos and other gadgets which can distract the driver - they do not, however, come fitted with hand pumps, dispensing optics and hookah pipes. 32 months is quite a lengthy sentence - particularly at the peak earning period for someone whos chosen profession is notoriously short-lived.

scrumpypaul;6462194

not the same at all

Same dire result..

Banned

rugger-tyke;6461375

I'm sure most people who drive have changed radio stations or tracks on cd's. How is this any different?

rugger-tyke;6461375

As others have said, all cars, as standard, come with a radio. How many people have changed stations whilst driving along, i'm willing to bet at least 99%. Not forgetting a lot of cars these days are being fitted with AUX ports as standard, to connect mp3 players to the radio.

This guy needed a better lawyer.

All my stereo controls are on the steering wheel so i don't need to look............as for the phone. It gets ignored whilst driving.

Although this was a tragic accident if he'd been more responsible it wouldn't have happened and if it happened to a member of his family he'd no doubt be calling for their head.

Syzable;6463763

All my stereo controls are on the steering wheel so i don't need to … All my stereo controls are on the steering wheel so i don't need to look............as for the phone. It gets ignored whilst driving.Although this was a tragic accident if he'd been more responsible it wouldn't have happened and if it happened to a member of his family he'd no doubt be calling for their head.

Absolutely, and undoubtedly so, but it is the judge that has determined the sentence, not the victims family, and in this case a ~3 year sentence seems to fit the crime as far as I am concerned. I doubt very few of us can hand-on-heart say we've never been a bit distracted at the wheel...

Banned

rugger-tyke;6461375

what a silly knee-jerk reaction. I take it you've never re-tuned your radio / cd when driving.

Are you old enough to drive come to that? :whistling:

To al the above posts replying 'have you never changed your cd before'

Not at 120mph I haven't which is reportedly what this guy was doing.

greg_68;6467728

To al the above posts replying 'have you never changed your cd before'Not … To al the above posts replying 'have you never changed your cd before'Not at 120mph I haven't which is reportedly what this guy was doing.

Source?

Banned

greg_68;6467728

To al the above posts replying 'have you never changed your cd before'Not … To al the above posts replying 'have you never changed your cd before'Not at 120mph I haven't which is reportedly what this guy was doing.

Source? :?

jah128;6468472

Source?

csiman;6468514

Source? :?

]There you go.

Not thinking 'everyones done that' now.

The motorway crash was captured on CCTV and Robertson's black Mercedes CLC 180 car had been calculated as travelling between 122 and 124mph at the time. Mr Mohamed's Ford Galaxy was travelling at between 67mph and 71mph.

Deserves life if you ask me. He's took a life, he should lose his.

greg_68;6468601

]There you go.Not thinking 'everyones done that' now.The motorway crash … ]There you go.Not thinking 'everyones done that' now.The motorway crash was captured on CCTV and Robertson's black Mercedes CLC 180 car had been calculated as travelling between 122 and 124mph at the time. Mr Mohamed's Ford Galaxy was travelling at between 67mph and 71mph.Deserves life if you ask me. He's took a life, he should lose his.

Surprised the articles published yesterday didn't mention the speed - its certainly a very important factor in the case.

Who would you have take his life?

colinsunderland;6462837

I'm sure most people who drive have changed radio stations or tracks on … I'm sure most people who drive have changed radio stations or tracks on cd's. How is this any different?

In car stereo systems are designed to be used while driving, they have larger basic screens which are usually monochrome and near the dashbboard making them easy to read at a glance as you would the speedo, fuel gauge etc. Controls are now normally mounted on the steering wheel and if not they are usually designed to be operated by feel only, the user doesn't need to actually look at the controls.

Portable mp3 players on the other hand have very small detailed coloured screens which are difficult to focus on while driving and the controls normally need you to be looking at the screen while operating the player for seconds at a time. I can easily operate my car's stereo without taking my eyes off the road or my hands off the wheel but there's no way I can use an mp3 player the same way, as I think it's exceptionally dangerous if I'm using one I set it up with an appropriate playlist before the journey and don't touch it throughout.

If the person had been pulled over and it turned out they'd been fiddling with their car stereo which had distracted them from the road, they've have been charged with the same offence and could well have received a similar sentence especially as the speed on its own was extremely dangerous. When I was driving at that speed (entirely legally on the Ring) it's scary how much distance the car is travelling in such a short space of time and it needed my full concentration, the stereo wasn't even switched on.

John

I think is probably more important than the fact he was changing his mp3.

The motorway crash was captured on CCTV and Robertson's black Mercedes CLC 180 car had been calculated as travelling between 122 and 124mph at the time. Mr Mohamed's Ford Galaxy was travelling at between 67mph and 71mph.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?89
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188
      3. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…11
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831126

See more discussions