Privacy concerns: Gearbest Facebook and Google

Found 7th Apr
I was browsing Gearbest and put something into my basket. I wasn't signed in to Gearbest and have never granted them to access my Facebook or Google accounts. I've never clicked on any Gearbest Facebook ads. I was however logged into my Facebook account at the time on the same Chrome browser.

I later received a disturbing Facebook message from Gearbest telling me I'd left that very item in my basket.

I'm quite thorough when it comes to setting the tightest privacy settings on Facebook and Google. How is Gearbest legitimately getting my Facebook account details? Has anyone else had this experience? The implications are quite worrying if it means every site I visit knows who I am if I happen to be logged in to Facebook at the time.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted79467
33594885-IxWhN.jpg
12 Comments
deleted79467
33594885-IxWhN.jpg
People should only worry if they are truly prepared to stop using the internet altogether. Somewhere, all of us has agreed an EULA or site access agreement that said we like this kind of thing. And we are now reaping the rewards.
Edited by: "ccnp" 7th Apr
Probably Google. My uncle sent a text asking if I still want my windows replacing and shortly after got an advert on Facebook for replacement windows. Happens a lot, the ones I do worry about are the adverts for mature dating in case my other half sees them. The thing is I don't even search for them, think it's because Google and FB etc know my age. Worse ones are erectile disfunction and tenna pads for men.
Getting a direct Facebook message feels like a different level of intrusiveness to getting a targetted ad though. It's using personal data regarding my account, not just browser-related habits. I didn't think Gearbest or its advertising networks would be able to get/use personal data identifiable to an individual from Facebook cookies.

Maybe GDPR will help. But yes, I think I need to stop using the internet!
privacy doesn't exist when you use the net. no matter how tight you wear that foil hat, data still leaks out.

i have come to terms that i am not protected so i just have to hope that nothing untoward happens.
Sad to say, Nope. GDPR will not help at least not with the big boys (who probably drafted it once it became clear it was going to happen). It has the same holes in it.

Your pre-requisite agreement to the statement to the effect that you agree they can do just what they want with your data in the way of buying selling sharing aggregating etc etc for as long as they like is as valid under GDPR as it would be today

GDPR just places a bigger burden on business to comply with the paper trail.
If you want more privacy

Use Firefox (+ Options) + Abine + Kaspersky (then its only the Ruskies who will have all your data)
Use different browser(s) for general surfing rather than the browser that has an active login. The marketeers may still be able to cross-reference via IP but browser-based proxy/VPN would close that loophole. Example: if logged in to Facebook via Chrome, visit other sites via Epic that has integral proxy epicbrowser.com/
ccnp7 h, 27 m ago

People should only worry if they are truly prepared to stop using the …People should only worry if they are truly prepared to stop using the internet altogether. Somewhere, all of us has agreed an EULA or site access agreement that said we like this kind of thing. And we are now reaping the rewards.

The average time to read all the EULA’S a general user encounters on the internet is 76 work days. I think they use this to their advantage, it should be far simpler to stop this sort of thing.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 7th Apr
I have received gearbest messages too. I think when you place your order then it says it will contact you on Facebook
Does it really matter though?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions