Private car trade dealer warranty obligations

Found 22nd Jun
Hi

I got my 62 plate Honda Civic, in March this year, from a private trade dealer.

A month ago I got warning lights that it’s low on engine oil, checked and it was at the minimum.

Seeing as its due for service in July, I thought it was just normal use, and top it up with correct oil.

But today I got the warning lights again, and and it’s down to the minimum again.
So most likely a leak somewhere.

Just want to know, should a oil leak be covered by the consumers right 6months warranty?

I’m not at the point of bringing up my rights to the trade dealer yet. As he’s giving me a mechanic to see what’s going on with the car.

Just want to know what my rights are if he doesn’t take responsibility.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskHome & GardenCar
9 Comments
Used car warranties are usually not worth the paper they are written on, in reality very little is actually covered and most warranty companies get out on paying out claiming wear and year etc. I also imagine if they can not find a leak they will try the usual one of stating it is acceptable and within limits for your car to consume 1 lite of oil every 1000 miles, even though as a customer we don't find it acceptable. Unfortunately the oil consumption is also written in most car handbooks. My Octavia and Dacia don't use a drop but I had a Peugeot in the past that was brand new but used a pint of oil every 1000 miles, dealer refused work under warranty saying it was within limits and that was a manufacturer warranty which covers a lot more than a used warranty.

Also be aware that most used car warranties request that you pay for the work first and then put in a claim, at which point they do there best not to pay out, knowing you have absorbed the cost and then hoping you will not put up as much of a fight for the money.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 22nd Jun
As @SOUTHWALES said. Used car warranties are insurance polices rather than a warranty and exclude almost everything in the small print.
Not answering your question, but if it is an oil leak, you will probably see evidence of oil underneath the car or in the engine bay.

Or, it could be valve seal leaks, this results in a blue smoke at cold start-up. Have a friend watch your exhaust closely when starting the car when full cold (ie: overnight). If there is a hint of blue smoke, that'd be your seals. Hope that helps!

How many miles are on the clock?
Edited by: "tregs" 22nd Jun
Assuming the usual 1litre between top and bottom of the dipstick then it sounds like the problem developed after you bought.

How many miles do you do?
Any oil drips on your drive?
Presume theres an undertray - is it covered in oil?
mas997 m ago

Assuming the usual 1litre between top and bottom of the dipstick then it …Assuming the usual 1litre between top and bottom of the dipstick then it sounds like the problem developed after you bought.How many miles do you do?Any oil drips on your drive?Presume theres an undertray - is it covered in oil?

Or could be the reason the previous owner got shut of the car. This is why I always say why buy 2nd hand when you can get a brand new Dacia for 6k with a genuine manufacturers 3 year warranty, breakdown cover and a car that someone else has not been farting in the seats for the last few years.
SOUTHWALES4 h, 33 m ago

Used car warranties are usually not worth the paper they are written on, …Used car warranties are usually not worth the paper they are written on, in reality very little is actually covered and most warranty companies get out on paying out claiming wear and year etc. I also imagine if they can not find a leak they will try the usual one of stating it is acceptable and within limits for your car to consume 1 lite of oil every 1000 miles, even though as a customer we don't find it acceptable. Unfortunately the oil consumption is also written in most car handbooks. My Octavia and Dacia don't use a drop but I had a Peugeot in the past that was brand new but used a pint of oil every 1000 miles, dealer refused work under warranty saying it was within limits and that was a manufacturer warranty which covers a lot more than a used warranty.Also be aware that most used car warranties request that you pay for the work first and then put in a claim, at which point they do there best not to pay out, knowing you have absorbed the cost and then hoping you will not put up as much of a fight for the money.

I bought an 8 year old ford c max. The clutch bite was very high. The car sales garage said that if I buy the car and report it after a few days he would do it under warranty. The company has a good name so i thought i would chance it. I bought the car and phoned after a week and reported it and they said to bring it in and they would do it under warranty. Brand new clutch, no cost, happy days. I agree that they are normally rubbish, but not all.
cornishscouse55 m ago

I bought an 8 year old ford c max. The clutch bite was very high. The car …I bought an 8 year old ford c max. The clutch bite was very high. The car sales garage said that if I buy the car and report it after a few days he would do it under warranty. The company has a good name so i thought i would chance it. I bought the car and phoned after a week and reported it and they said to bring it in and they would do it under warranty. Brand new clutch, no cost, happy days. I agree that they are normally rubbish, but not all.

Name the garage so we can all buy from there
So the consumers right 6months warranty is more or less useless?

Also the car have 63000 on the clock,
Think I lost about 700ml of oil (I didn’t empty the bottle) in 1month and 700miles or so
Didn’t really see any oil on the ground
And don’t really know where I should look under the car

Well he asked me to get the car to a mechanic he knows.
I’ll see how it goes...
Edited by: "Evilcell" 22nd Jun
Is your Civic a Petrol or Diesel because in my owners manual is says the following, that oil consumption could be up to 1 litre per 1000km. My petrol version uses about 200ml per 1000 miles.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants