Private Parking Ticket!!

Posted 6th Jun
The driver received a parking charge from National Parking Enforcement Ltd, back in March (just 2 days before the lockdown), the vehicle is registered under the keeper however the driver was someone else. As it wasn't a council parking charge we did not pay it and ignored it.

We got again a letter back in April to say the charge of £100 was now to pay as I had not paid the initial charge. We ignored this again as we were not sure it was a genuine company. We have recently received an additional letter saying:
Now charged £160 (+£60 admin charge)
Outstanding parking charge notice,

Despite our letter of, your PCN has still not been paid nor have you advised us that you were not the keeper or the driver of the vehicle on the date stated. However the time to appeal has now passed.

Failure to act today by contacting TNC to make a payment will result in TNC seeking approval from our clients for passing your account to a Doorstep Collection Agent.

What is the solution for this?

I was told that private parking ticket can be ignored but I do not want anyone to come up my doorstep and ask me to pay for something!

Help and advice appreciated!

Thank you

Molly
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The days of not paying a private parking ticket ended a few years ago.
If you want proper advice go to pepipoo.com . It is a legal advice site set up for driving & parking issues.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 6th Jun
It was something like 2008 when the advice changed to do not ignore rather than ignore it. There’s guides on MSE and stuff. Think you’ve gone too far with this one though and will most likely have to pay up.
You have done well don’t contact them , there trying to scare you .

I’ve had there if these in recent times .

McDonald’s
A retail park x2
Never made contact and never paid and all three sent the same letter you have the last ones saying we have started court process bla bla .

Don’t pay don’t make contact
Very very silly ignoring it. Never ignore. Pay up and treat is a lesson learnt.
40 Comments
Been in this position a couple of times, and reluctant paid before the charge went up.
It’s a grey area legally but this might help, good luck!
Very very silly ignoring it. Never ignore. Pay up and treat is a lesson learnt.
It was something like 2008 when the advice changed to do not ignore rather than ignore it. There’s guides on MSE and stuff. Think you’ve gone too far with this one though and will most likely have to pay up.
I’d split the fine 50/50 with whoever was the driver. Their fault for getting the Parking Charge Notice and yours for deciding to ignore it. That seems the fairest.
The registered keeper can’t go back now and say they don’t know who was driving at the time as it it is deemed the keeper’s responsibility to who knows who’s driving and responsible for the vehicle at any one time.
Pay up or bailiffs
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, too much misinformation on Facebook and the like, “you don’t need a TV licence if you watch TV on a Tuesday” etc. As someone else said, pay up or be prepared to keep your doors locked and your car away from your house for the foreseeable
Pay the fine and don't listen to any more advice from the person who told you to ignore the ticket.
Edited by: "Sc4mp0" 6th Jun
The days of not paying a private parking ticket ended a few years ago.
If you want proper advice go to pepipoo.com . It is a legal advice site set up for driving & parking issues.
You should never ignore a fine regardless of who it is from. Plus if you weren't driving then you should have passed the fine on to the driver, You're going to have to take this as an expensive mistake to make. Also it doesn't matter how close it was to Lockdown parking laws as well as all others still apply. The only ones you can get away with realistically are the retail parks where queues are substantial to enter shops.
Quick question. If you wasn't sure if the company was genuine or not,why would you just ignore the letter instead of making sure?
You have done well don’t contact them , there trying to scare you .

I’ve had there if these in recent times .

McDonald’s
A retail park x2
Never made contact and never paid and all three sent the same letter you have the last ones saying we have started court process bla bla .

Don’t pay don’t make contact
ashmac06/06/2020 20:16

You have done well don’t contact them , there trying to scare you . I’ve ha …You have done well don’t contact them , there trying to scare you . I’ve had there if these in recent times .McDonald’s A retail park x2 Never made contact and never paid and all three sent the same letter you have the last ones saying we have started court process bla bla .Don’t pay don’t make contact

Extremely BAD advice. Please do not share your opinion anymore. The laws changed quite a while ago & people are racking up massive debts & getting CCJs as a result of "ignoring".

Your advice is only going to cause problems for people.
Willy_Wonka06/06/2020 20:20

Extremely BAD advice. Please do not share your opinion anymore. The laws …Extremely BAD advice. Please do not share your opinion anymore. The laws changed quite a while ago & people are racking up massive debts & getting CCJs as a result of "ignoring". Your advice is only going to cause problems for people.

They issued 100,000 tickets in 2019 and took 38 people to court behave . They send out the same template rubbish every time !

Do you think a company could take 1000s of people to court they would go bust.

Don’t pay it and come back here in a few months and thank me after you get the scare letters
Willy_Wonka06/06/2020 20:20

Extremely BAD advice. Please do not share your opinion anymore. The laws …Extremely BAD advice. Please do not share your opinion anymore. The laws changed quite a while ago & people are racking up massive debts & getting CCJs as a result of "ignoring". Your advice is only going to cause problems for people.

I’m not trusting someone who runs a chocolate factory
ashmac06/06/2020 20:24

I’m not trusting someone who runs a chocolate factory

Get it from legal experts & people with experience then pepipoo.com
Willy_Wonka06/06/2020 20:27

Get it from legal experts & people with experience then pepipoo.com

There all yellow belly’s . This guy has balls and I salute him
For taking a stand

Stay strong 💪🏼 and hold out

You have done well don’t contact them , there trying to scare you . I’ve ha …You have done well don’t contact them , there trying to scare you . I’ve had there if these in recent times .McDonald’s A retail park x2 Never made contact and never paid and all three sent the same letter you have the last ones saying we have started court process bla bla .Don’t pay don’t make contact

You're not going to care,and I really don't blame you,but I don't believe any of the above.

Your advice though is terrible,if anything just because you got away with it doesn't mean others will.
ashmac06/06/2020 20:28

There all yellow belly’s . This guy has balls and I salute himFor taking a …There all yellow belly’s . This guy has balls and I salute himFor taking a stand Stay strong 💪🏼 and hold out

Err ok. Have a lovely evening. I sincerely hope everyone has read the thread before your advice. Goodnight
They won't do anything unless your a serial parking evader. Cost them time, effort and money for a few for which is not worth pursuing.
Either... contact Pepipoo (their advice is great, complete with templates for letters etc - but read the guidance before asking for help. There is a way to do it).
Or contact the company, and lie through your teeth.." been in lockdown at girlfriend's, Just got my mail.. blah blah blah..." Admit it was you, and that if you had received the letter at your girlfriend's you would have paid on the first demand. " Could I pay the first demand now please?" No guarantees, but ignoring it could be bag.
Sc4mp006/06/2020 20:31

just because you got away with it doesn't mean others will.

Apart from the fact they have 6 years to take it to court. So the guy will be looking over his shoulder for the next 5 years.

You were lucky, I'd fight it but I wouldn't ignore it.

There all yellow belly’s . This guy has balls and I salute himFor taking a …There all yellow belly’s . This guy has balls and I salute himFor taking a stand Stay strong 💪🏼 and hold out

Please don't
MR112306/06/2020 20:33

They won't do anything unless your a serial parking evader. Cost them …They won't do anything unless your a serial parking evader. Cost them time, effort and money for a few for which is not worth pursuing.

That's not true. I got one ticket,rightly so off a company, and was took to court for it.

I've never had one before or after that.
Sc4mp006/06/2020 20:39

That's not true. I got one ticket,rightly so off a company, and was took …That's not true. I got one ticket,rightly so off a company, and was took to court for it.I've never had one before or after that.

I highly doubt that is true as they have a high percentage of unsuccessful claims and there's no way they would gamble on wining one ticket.
MR112306/06/2020 20:57

I highly doubt that is true as they have a high percentage of unsuccessful …I highly doubt that is true as they have a high percentage of unsuccessful claims and there's no way they would gamble on wining one ticket.

I can reassure you it was true,one ticket for parking close to work in an industrial unit which was not being used,several people from work got tickets (some paid,some ignored). I ignored letters as well until I got the Northampton County Court letter,at that point as per pepipoo I responded.

The case was won because they made a massive mistake with the evidence pack they sent me which had images of a different car,although I reckon I could have won it with the correct photo as well as they issued the ticket based on me parking in a disabled bay and nowhere in the court was there a single bay,yet alone a disabled one.

I let it go all the way to court because I knew they'd messed up,the day before I even got a phone call saying that they'd charge me the initial cost of the ticket to avoid all the issues. I pointed out it wasn't my car but the lady that rang me didn't believe me so I just went along with it.
From MoneyUK:

What action can you take?If you feel that the ticket is not justified or is unfair you have two options:

Complain to the company issuing the ticket & then appeal
Ignore it
If you opt to ignore your ticket some parking companies may give up, especially if the cost of pursuing you is going to outweigh the money you owe. However, ignoring your ticket could mean you find yourself in court.

Can they force you to pay?Private parking companies can only make you pay by taking court action, usually through the small claims court.

Even then you will have the right to defend yourself and give an explanation why you have refused to pay, meaning there is no guarantee their claim against you will be upheld.
Not sure about private parking, but on public roads it's a right jungle out there. There needs to be more enforcement really. I mean, walk down any street in the UK and you'll see many different kinds of parking violation, be it, parking on double yellow lines (yes that's right, you're not allowed to actually park on them), parking on the pavement, in disabled bays without a blue badge, parking on zigzag lines.

One of the worst offences I find is parking on double yellow lines, right on the edge of a junction. This is particularly bad as it obstructs the view of pedestrians crossing and vehicles turning, significantly increasing the likelihood of a serious accident from occurring.

I don't mean to be nasty but clearly the current level of enforcement isn't working.
MR112306/06/2020 20:57

I highly doubt that is true as they have a high percentage of unsuccessful …I highly doubt that is true as they have a high percentage of unsuccessful claims and there's no way they would gamble on wining one ticket.

Check your PM's fella.
supermann06/06/2020 21:12

Not sure about private parking, but on public roads it's a right jungle …Not sure about private parking, but on public roads it's a right jungle out there. There needs to be more enforcement really. I mean, walk down any street in the UK and you'll see many different kinds of parking violation, be it, parking on double yellow lines (yes that's right, you're not allowed to actually park on them), parking on the pavement, in disabled bays without a blue badge, parking on zigzag lines.One of the worst offences I find is parking on double yellow lines, right on the edge of a junction. This is particularly bad as it obstructs the view of pedestrians crossing and vehicles turning, significantly increasing the likelihood of a serious accident from occurring. I don't mean to be nasty but clearly the current level of enforcement isn't working.

The majority of thief users seem to think parking on single yellow lines is acceptable, double yellows mean it's twice as dangerous.
Though I did have a policeman stop and tell me I couldn't park my bus on a single white line (on a long clear, quiet road). I asked him to call traffic police to check before he issued me with a ticket (before someone points out thay it can be illegal, it was accompanied by soft verge signs and in urban area - perfectly legal).
Sc4mp006/06/2020 21:03

I can reassure you it was true,one ticket for parking close to work in an …I can reassure you it was true,one ticket for parking close to work in an industrial unit which was not being used,several people from work got tickets (some paid,some ignored). I ignored letters as well until I got the Northampton County Court letter,at that point as per pepipoo I responded.The case was won because they made a massive mistake with the evidence pack they sent me which had images of a different car,although I reckon I could have won it with the correct photo as well as they issued the ticket based on me parking in a disabled bay and nowhere in the court was there a single bay,yet alone a disabled one.I let it go all the way to court because I knew they'd messed up,the day before I even got a phone call saying that they'd charge me the initial cost of the ticket to avoid all the issues. I pointed out it wasn't my car but the lady that rang me didn't believe me so I just went along with it.

Thanks.
Ringfinger06/06/2020 21:21

The majority of thief users seem to think parking on single yellow lines …The majority of thief users seem to think parking on single yellow lines is acceptable, double yellows mean it's twice as dangerous. Though I did have a policeman stop and tell me I couldn't park my bus on a single white line (on a long clear, quiet road). I asked him to call traffic police to check before he issued me with a ticket (before someone points out thay it can be illegal, it was accompanied by soft verge signs and in urban area - perfectly legal).

Interesting.

Another one that really does my head in are people who don't just park on the pavement but use the dropped kerb on pedestrian crossing as a way to access it.

It's something the traffic wardens aren't likely to catch but should carry an extra penalty, especially given they drive over tactile paving, cracking it in the process and making it harder for blind and partially sighted people to cross the road.
Edited by: "supermann" 6th Jun
Private charges can be ignored but then it’s a gamble whether the company will apply to court. If not, great. If they do, you can fight it and then if you win, great. If you don’t fight or you did then lost, you must pay within a time period else get a CCJ. Whilst they do not take all cases to court, they have before and won and still win them. They also lose many, it depends on the case. Many ignore and then are bombarded with very threatening letters that make them give in and pay- you have to be prepared to go through that.

People end in a mess when they move house inbetween then miss letters and end up with CCJs.

I must say though that If you have made a mistake then should pay. Evasion is not right. The old common problem of poor signage is now rare to see- there is a ton of it on all private car parks. It is absolutely up to the landowner to have any terms they like (within reason) on their own land.
Ringfinger06/06/2020 21:21

The majority of thief users seem to think parking on single yellow lines …The majority of thief users seem to think parking on single yellow lines is acceptable, double yellows mean it's twice as dangerous. Though I did have a policeman stop and tell me I couldn't park my bus on a single white line (on a long clear, quiet road). I asked him to call traffic police to check before he issued me with a ticket (before someone points out thay it can be illegal, it was accompanied by soft verge signs and in urban area - perfectly legal).

Many police are clueless on parking rules. They are not trained in it and have no jurisdiction in issuing any penalties except for if the vehicle is in obstruction. Should never rely on advice given by police on parking, councils will not cancel a penalty if that’s happened.
Days of ignoring these tickets are over. I was successful in one however there has been a change and need to go through the appeal process.

Did couple since and have been 100% successful. Using Google you'll find many templates and guide.

Important: do not ignore!
Edited by: "rimalpatel007" 7th Jun

you must be a covidiot as well
In Scotland you're OK to ignore, however in England I don't think it's as simple as that anymore as others have mentioned.
True they don't take everyone to court, However it is a gamble now. You do risk having to pay out more etc.. In the past I've ignored them, They've all gave up but in the future I think I'd just pay up. Probably not worth the risk etc.. Unless of course it's there mistake and you have a valid reason to appeal.
I used the below company for a £60 fine. Paid £25 and they got it cancelled. They obviously don't tell you how but examine your case before they ask for money. It was a hospital car park run by parking Eye. Wife's a nurse and couldn't find a spot in the staff one so used the patient car park. Didn't add our new car reg to the app in time. Can't recommend enough.

parkingfines.org.uk/

Dan
Your best bet is to check MSE guides. The easiest way to get away without paying, is if they invoice you after the required timeframe. (I can’t remember how long it is now)
If the invoice arrives late, then it’s an instant win.
Post a comment
@
    Text