Private school - from Reception/Primary or Secondary fine?

Found 18th JulEdited by:"SCuboid"
Is there value in sending children to private school from reception, or is it sufficient from secondary (if they don't make the grammar school cut)?

Everyone says the first 10yrs are formative, surely this would be beneficial from the start then..
Community Updates
AskBaby & KidsChild
16 Comments
Value, may need some definition in your question, OP.
But as this is a Deals-focused site, may I suggest the Tesco school of life, comes with clubcard points & cheap uniforms.
Private school opens doors later in life, a lot more so than a public school regardless of how well they did at school

You have to factor in the coat of extra after school activities. My local private school for 5+ is £14k a term and their after school and weekend activities include fencing, sailing, horse riding etc. All of which are expensive.

They also do two school trips per year, Sking and one other, last year they did a 2 week tour of the Caribbean!
Edited by: "darlodge" 18th Jul
Our son went from 3 (indie nursery), to a boarding school at 7 (although he was a day pupil until 10). He then went on to board at his senior school from 13 until 18. He absolutely loved it and as an only child living in the back of beyond (Cornwall) it was a no-brainer. It has benefitted him no end.

It isn't cheap and fees for the senior school were 36k a year. As others have said, it doesn't end there.

You have to decide if it is right for your child, your family and if the cost is something you will have issues with - there are bursaries available at nearly all indie schools and most aren't purely academic based.

You will get people who tell you it's a waste of money etc, but it's a personal decision and not one that I feel has anything to do with anyone else. My son has excellent friends from his senior school as they lived together 24-7. It isn't for everyone though.
Friends sent their daughter to a privite prep school and she excelled at pretty mich everyhing but she wasn't happy and was stressed as its quite a pressured environment.
There’s a few private primary schools near me that some of my friends opted to send their kids to after the 1st year at the local academy school. The problem is that there is no private or grammar secondary school in the area and subsequently they have to go back into mainstream secondary schools.
From what I see they are no more educated and if anything are overwhelmed by having to attend a school that now has around 1000 pupils and struggle to adapt to a class containing another 30 students.
If a child has an ability it will be found whether or not in state or private schooling.
I think there is probably more value in attending a state primary school and get extra tutoring after school in year 7 and then look into private/grammar schools for their secondary school education.
Better to go to a normal school and get them evening tuition.
Like any schools, there are good and bad. We put him in one private school and he was bullied for being both very bright and having a stupendously big mouth with no sensitivity control. When he thought he was helping others, he was actually just being plain obnoxious. Had an argument with the somewhat lack luster head who obviously wanted easy pupils and moved him mid year to a large private boys only school. He thrived. They knew exactly how to deal with him and he has turned out very bright, moderately big mouthed but now has empathy and tact.

In state school, the choice to move him would not have been present.

As others have said, budget 4 terms fees to cover trips and extras
Best decision we ever made was to send our children to private school. Worth every penny compared to public schools.
windym2 h, 38 m ago

Our son went from 3 (indie nursery), to a boarding school at 7 (although …Our son went from 3 (indie nursery), to a boarding school at 7 (although he was a day pupil until 10). He then went on to board at his senior school from 13 until 18. He absolutely loved it and as an only child living in the back of beyond (Cornwall) it was a no-brainer. It has benefitted him no end. It isn't cheap and fees for the senior school were 36k a year. As others have said, it doesn't end there. You have to decide if it is right for your child, your family and if the cost is something you will have issues with - there are bursaries available at nearly all indie schools and most aren't purely academic based. You will get people who tell you it's a waste of money etc, but it's a personal decision and not one that I feel has anything to do with anyone else. My son has excellent friends from his senior school as they lived together 24-7. It isn't for everyone though.

Then what happened did you wake up from cuckoo land?
master1018 m ago

Then what happened did you wake up from cuckoo land?

I have no idea what you mean, do you?
Yes, best educational start and then can take 11 plus and get into Grammar School so then don't have to keep funding their education. Just check out reviews, my friend did this and her son then went to Grammar school, now has a fabulous job teaching. It was a day school not boarding as that I don't think is great.
Edited by: "Rose5" 18th Jul
Depends on state schools, we were offered a free place for a family member for primary at a private school (family worked there and they wanted to address the gender unbalance in that years intake) but we opted to go for the local well regarded state school instead.

As the state school was well regarded and linked to the secondary school we decided it was better long term, also they'd mix with a wider range of people rather than in isolation with a certain type.
windym7 h, 54 m ago

I have no idea what you mean, do you?

Don't feed the green eyed troll
Really depends on what you can afford, if you can only do one then wait until secondary school. Private schools are about connections as much as education.
there are apparently schools that you can get in to for free!

a wee hotukdeals top tip for you, there.
lastjunkie15 h, 6 m ago

there are apparently schools that you can get in to for free!a wee …there are apparently schools that you can get in to for free!a wee hotukdeals top tip for you, there.

Hilarious
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants