Privately sold car

Found 8th Aug
My son sold his car privately to this bloke we told him that it had just had a new timing kit put on it we told him about the fault it needed a lamber sensor which we had bought and was waiting for delivery. Now he has phoned 4 days after buying the car that the timing had slipped and was going to cost £350 to put right or more if it needed a new engine sold the car sold as seen how do I stand
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Private sale. Buyer beware. Not your problem.
22 Comments
Maybe take the argument up with the garage that did the work
Did you put the faults on the receipt and did he sign it. He has to prove the car was faulty anyway if he wants to take it further, it can be a mine field.
ding26 m ago

Maybe take the argument up with the garage that did the work

Ditto!

How long ago have they done this job?
Defiantly go back or tell him to go to garage who did the work. They may change or do any repairs at a cost price.
If it has genuinely slipped, then did you only change belt and not get the tensioner done.? You should always change the belt tensioner too and the garage should have recommended it imo. They regularly fail if not as the new belt Is tighter so the tensioner bearings can't usually take it and you end up with the belt slipping a few teeth.
The garage who fitted the belt should warranty it. £350 for a cam belt slipping repair is cheap! How long since it was fitted?
Babbabooey9 m ago

But how would you feel if it was you that purchased the car.
You sold the car as sold as seen, the car could have literally burst into flames and exploded minutes after they bought it and nothing they could have done about it that's the whole meaning of sold as seen you have to actually check the item yourself if your happy buy it if not walk away the seller has no obligations afterwards
The question is who replaced the cam belt, if it was cash in hand for someone that did not really know how to correctly change the belt on the car and engine in question then, some guilt should come into for getting a budget job done hence the slipped belt, decent thing would be to cover cost of repair or full refund and accept the vehicle back. if it was a qualified mechanic then they need to make good on the repair, contact garage and no need to mention you have sold the car and get them to correct the fault. A cam belt should last thousands of miles not slip within a few weeks.

Put yourself in the buyers position, nobody wants to spend several hundred pounds or more on a vehicle for it to break down within a few days. He purchased thinking a new cambelt so probably will not need changing again for at least another 50,000 miles but already he is having serious problems with the cambelt.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 8th Aug
jjkop909 m ago

You sold the car as sold as seen, the car could have literally burst into …You sold the car as sold as seen, the car could have literally burst into flames and exploded minutes after they bought it and nothing they could have done about it that's the whole meaning of sold as seen you have to actually check the item yourself if your happy buy it if not walk away the seller has no obligations afterwards

But again I ask how would you feel if you was the buyer, it is just the same as a seller telling you it has just had a new clutch and 2 days later it start slipping, would you not feel conned.

dictionary.cambridge.org/dic…con
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 8th Aug
SOUTHWALES10 m ago

But again I ask how would you feel if you was the buyer, it is just the …But again I ask how would you feel if you was the buyer, it is just the same as a seller telling you it has just had a new clutch and 2 days later it start slipping, would you not feel conned.https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/con

Now that's different as then you would've actually misled and it's false advertising that's wrong I'm not sure what obligation you'd have as it's a private sale. It might just be me but I've always been under the impression anything sold as seen is likely to have something wrong with it so I'd weigh up the option of how much would i save with in this case getting a car that is sold as seen as opposed to buying ether new or second with a history and then if I had to get a sold as seen then I'd make sure everything worked fine or wouldn't take it
caverncity1 h, 42 m ago

Did you put the faults on the receipt and did he sign it. He has to prove …Did you put the faults on the receipt and did he sign it. He has to prove the car was faulty anyway if he wants to take it further, it can be a mine field.

Receipts are irrelevant for private sales.
SOUTHWALES49 m ago

But again I ask how would you feel if you was the buyer, it is just the …But again I ask how would you feel if you was the buyer, it is just the same as a seller telling you it has just had a new clutch and 2 days later it start slipping, would you not feel conned.https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/con

Feelings sadly don't come into it in the second hand market. It's your word against theirs. Even if they write something and sign it it's irrelevant and meaningless. They're free to make a claim at a small claims court but it would probably just result in court costs too. Morally wrong maybe. I think I would direct them to the place that did the cambelt and get them to sort it if possible. Or maybe offer to go halves. Of course the buyer could just be trying his luck. A faulty lambda sensor would likely make it run like the timing is out. Maybe it was or wasn't the lambda sensor at fault to begin with. I would guess the seller/op isn't a mechanic and didn't intend to rip anyone off. Legally they don't have to do anything.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 8th Aug
I had a car breaking down on my way back from a private sale.

Nothing I could do and I am still suffering the consequences.
On the bright side, I took interest in fixing cars as I don't trust mechanics and saved a lot doing my own repairs.
So you just told him you had a new timing belt fitted or actually had proof to the fact.

How you stand is purely on your own morals, were you genuine and honest or just sold to get rid adding in some not so honest descriptions. Any timing belt replacement would have come with paperwork from Garage with a legally obligated warranty so if it has slipped then surely you or the new buyer has the paperwork receipts from recent work in which case you take it back to the garage for them to rectify a damage at their expense.

Obviously private sale comes with risks but there have full rights to take you to County Court, as its not that expensive especially if you had not told accurate facts and they can prove it.

If it was "sold as seen" you would of clearly made this point on a receipt that you both signed.

Also depends on what the sale price was. If it was a cheap ass 10 year old car then that's totally different if it was a car being sold for a few thousand pounds.

At the ed of the day, you sold the crap, you knew how you described it, whether accurate or not if up to you to decide what to do next, but remember the buyer also has their own options. If its all legit then approach the garage work was done, explain issue, book car in with them and liaise all this with the new buyer, as its under warranty for a timing belt change. Also Garage cant refuse warranty because car has been sold, that's irrelevant.

But if you come up loggerheads with new buyer and they refuse to cooperate to get resolved then maybe they are pulling a fast one.
PLUS why on earth would you ever think to join a shopping website to post this.

Plenty of much better websites out there for accurate information if initial information is truthful. Try honest John, for motoring advice. If they pursue you via courts then Consumer Action Group forums would be more ideal.
Tell him to jog on. He bought a car and its now thrown a bill in his direction. Suck it up treacle it happens.
First step would be to see if it can be sorted without costing either of you money, and unless you was aware of the issue then fess up and pay, if you was not aware it's bad luck and it's buyers fault
Private sale. Sold as seen, unless you offered the buyer any warrenty or guarantee.

I bought a car few months ago. Within a month, the central locking went. Cost me few £100’s to get it all sorted, new battery, key programmed etc etc. Wasnt the garages fault that sold me the car. I took it on the chin. Its all part and parcel of owning a car. You never know what can go wrong.
Thanks for all your help and the timing chain and tensioner were new see what happens next I suppose thanks all
charleaward8119 h, 32 m ago

PLUS why on earth would you ever think to join a shopping website to post …PLUS why on earth would you ever think to join a shopping website to post this. Plenty of much better websites out there for accurate information if initial information is truthful. Try honest John, for motoring advice. If they pursue you via courts then Consumer Action Group forums would be more ideal.

I tend to ask silly questions on here which is a shopping forum however I can have 10 questions that are all in different fields and this would mean signing up for 10 web forums and then most forums nobody will reply for weeks, whereas HotUKDeals has experts or just people who can voice opinion about anything and usually reply quickly. One forum .. easy
My partner bought a used car from a dealer - warning light came on weeks later - needed high pressure fuel pump replacing - best part of a grand. Took some time but dealer paid in the end. Sold 2nd hand iPhone via gumtree last week - girl brought it back hours later - crying - screen was faulty she said. I took her word for it seeing as if replaced screen before selling but not bothered testing it. Hope this helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants