Problem buyer on eBay - wants refund and to keep the item!

Found 11th Dec 2011
Hi,

Looking for some advice regarding a buyer I have sold an advent calendar to.

The item was an expensive advent calendar with porcelain figurine ornaments for each 25 days. RRP £200, sold £62.

Buyer advised damaged casing, photos showed slight chipping to the outer case so initially offered to collect the item and do a full refund incl. P&P.

Buyer has come back saying questioning why I would collect (only 20 miles away) and if that is the case, I should have delivered! And also wants to keep the item to avoid disappointing her children who apparently love the little ornaments (I bet they do!) but wants a full refund too!

Spoke to eBay who have confirmed not to do the refund now until the item is returned due to her saying she wants to keep it and wants the refund.

It is insured but the courier wants to see it - which is why I offered to collect as well to ensure that no further damage occurred and my friends live near them anyway. Can't claim without item!

Anyone had any similar experience or advice as feeling buyer is trying to rip me off!

29 Comments

I don't think eBay will make you refund her without her returning the item. Just be careful she doesn't try to return a box with a brick in it or something just to get proof of postage!

Banned

if you are claiming off courier they will want to see pictures of how it was sent, packaging and damage. stuff does get damaged being sent but she cannot expect to keep and have a refund, paypal will not refund unless she shows proof of you having received the item back

Original Poster

baffledsalmon

I don't think eBay will make you refund her without her returning the … I don't think eBay will make you refund her without her returning the item. Just be careful she doesn't try to return a box with a brick in it or something just to get proof of postage!

LOL - already suspected she is going to take out all the ornaments! I don't know about buyer beware...now thinking seller also beware!

Ebay refunded a buyer of mine and never made her return the so called broken toy!

Sent a toy which would of taken tonnes of weight to break it via courier, Supposedly it was damaged. Never recieved pictures, nor would she send it back. Ebay went in favour of us both, so I didn't have to refund, but they did out of their own pocket.

She has now been banned from Ebay for all the Negatives and "problems" she has.

I would collect it if she keeps on for refund

Banned

If she knows how ebay/paypal works she is not going to let you pick up as she will have no proof of this should you decide to pick up and not refund, only real way is for her to return the item and then claim a refund, cannot see this ending well for you

Original Poster

sassie

if you are claiming off courier they will want to see pictures of how it … if you are claiming off courier they will want to see pictures of how it was sent, packaging and damage. stuff does get damaged being sent but she cannot expect to keep and have a refund, paypal will not refund unless she shows proof of you having received the item back

Thanks Sassie.
Fortunately she has emailed her confirmation of her intentions so I do have evidence of this, just would have preferred less of the agro. I immediately offered a full refund once I got an email from her but all started to get odd when first of all it took over a week to get any photos, then stopped replying about arranging to return. Thought it would be easier to collect..then her response a little nasty with a big play on me upsetting and distressing her kids and she should be able to keep it! OMG nut job alert!

CloudCuckooLand

LOL - already suspected she is going to take out all the ornaments! I … LOL - already suspected she is going to take out all the ornaments! I don't know about buyer beware...now thinking seller also beware!

VERY true. sellers get nearly no protection

check THIS out

CloudCuckooLand

Thanks Sassie.Fortunately she has emailed her confirmation of her … Thanks Sassie.Fortunately she has emailed her confirmation of her intentions so I do have evidence of this, just would have preferred less of the agro. I immediately offered a full refund once I got an email from her but all started to get odd when first of all it took over a week to get any photos, then stopped replying about arranging to return. Thought it would be easier to collect..then her response a little nasty with a big play on me upsetting and distressing her kids and she should be able to keep it! OMG nut job alert!

Sounds like the lady who I dealt with, Starting on how I was being rude to her kids and how her son was poorly or disabled can't remember. I just said I was not changing my opinion just because she was playing the disabled child card. She then went on how I had upset her kids, was rude to them. Proper looney!

Typical ebay buyers thinking they have all the protection in the world for buying off an auction site. I would offer her a slight discount or state that even if she takes it to a dispute, they will require the item to be sent back. There is also a chance that she will be waiting this out until christmas is over, then sending it back for a full refund, free calendar then.

If that is the case you will get no protection from ebay, even if you reason with the advisors they will ignore it because they dont have a clue how to help anyone these days.

Get it back off her ASAP if you can, tell her no refund will be issued and make sure you take all the money out of your paypal account so they cant take it off you, which is what they did to me.

What idiot would think anyone would refund them and NOT expect the item returned?

I've heard stories of people buying items and then trying to extort a partial refund but never a refund while keeping the item.

How do you know she hadn't already got one of these which was chipped and bought your perfect one and is now showing you the broken one?

Tell her you need to collect it to refund and confirm it is your one in person because of the hidden, secret security mark.

Ungreat

What idiot would think anyone would refund them and NOT expect the item … What idiot would think anyone would refund them and NOT expect the item returned?

How about THIS ONE?

Original Poster

Crowman

[quote=Ungreat] What idiot would think anyone would refund them and NOT … [quote=Ungreat] What idiot would think anyone would refund them and NOT expect the item returned?

How about THIS ONE?

Ha ha ha...now that person is buying from me! LOL

Original Poster

I have replied to her through eBay (I spoke to eBay to make sure I did this by the book and quoted her the ref. no. they have logged) saying basically if she is unhappy with it to return it (as she didn't want me to collect it!) and I will give her a full refund, or, if she wants to keep it then that's her choice.

EBay confirmed that due to her written confirmation saying that she intends to keep it AND still wants a refund, I must not refund until I receive it back.

It is insured and I was pursuing a claim but only got to the point they want to see it (I think they are doubtful of the damage too) and she has already confirmed that the contents are absolutely fine!

EBay have read her comments and I am hopeful they will afford me some protection because of her own admission in this....one can hope!

CloudCuckooLand

I have replied to her through eBay (I spoke to eBay to make sure I did … I have replied to her through eBay (I spoke to eBay to make sure I did this by the book and quoted her the ref. no. they have logged) saying basically if she is unhappy with it to return it (as she didn't want me to collect it!) and I will give her a full refund, or, if she wants to keep it then that's her choice.EBay confirmed that due to her written confirmation saying that she intends to keep it AND still wants a refund, I must not refund until I receive it back. It is insured and I was pursuing a claim but only got to the point they want to see it (I think they are doubtful of the damage too) and she has already confirmed that the contents are absolutely fine!EBay have read her comments and I am hopeful they will afford me some protection because of her own admission in this....one can hope!

The problem with ebay is they don't follow pesky things like logic or common sense.

I once ended up banned from Ebay for almost three years based on one small infraction the punishment of which only lasted a month.

Edited by: "Ungreat" 11th Dec 2011

Banned

dcx_badass

Unfortunately if you do get it back they'll probably smash it up for the … Unfortunately if you do get it back they'll probably smash it up for the sake of it to make a point. I'd just suddenly turn up to get it so they don't have chance to do this.

^^^^^^ this

Original Poster

scott148

A lot of people in this thread seem to have suspicious minds. oO

It has just been an odd situation after dealing with 100's of other buyers and sellers. Basically, when someone receives something damaged, they are irritated (aren't we all!) so I immediately offered a full refund and photos of the damage to pursue claim. I had to remind the person several times for the photos and bearing in mind the full refund incl P&p was £72 (I don't have to refund P&P but offered that too) it took nearly 2 weeks and the photos showed a couple of chips on the frame.

The courier then asked to inspect the item so I offered to collect and give her a full cash refund there and then to save her any further inconvenience, so I could then pursue the claim.

This is where the fun started and buyer stated she wants to keep the item (her kids really love it!) but she wants a full refund too! The item is an advent calendar and all the ornaments are undamaged (she has already confirmed that to me)

According to the rules of contract, the item belongs to the courier if they pay out for it and they wont proceed with claim until they see it (a bit like if you right off your car, they pay out and then the insurance company own it).

Buyer wants me to suck up the cost and loose item (I'm not a business seller and was just trying to raise a bit of cash for Xmas)...I can't help but feel suspicious that they are not exactly being straightforward to deal with.

Even now I am not sure that the courier is going to pay out so may still be stuck with the damaged item but that's something!

Banned

scott148

A lot of people in this thread seem to have suspicious minds. oO

^^^^ obviously not a seasoned ebay seller!

Sure she's not just fishing for a partial refund to get the product for even cheaper?

How long ago was this?

Some buyers are simply mad. I sold a necklace and auction ended at half four. The buyer promptly paid and then emailed to say I must get it in the post that night as it had to arrive the next morning for his girlfriend's birthday and he would be leaving me neg feedback if it didn't arrive!

As it happened I was home from work as I work part time and was able to post it out in time. I did manage some small revenge on his rudeness by not leaving him any feedback. He left me a positive then a few days later messaged me to leave feedback. I ignored him and he wrote me several more messages and I could feel the steam coming out of his ears as apparently him receiving feedback was a matter of life or death. He quoted me all sorts of made up rules insisting I leave feedback and threatened to contact ebay and have me banned!

I never did leave feedback and he eventually stopped contacting me and hopefully, died.

Dude get your item back, tell her she ain't getting no refund until she returns the calendar. Don't let her play you for a fool....

Original Poster

funny.onion

How long ago was this?

They received the item mid-November. It took two weeks to get the photos, a couple of days for the courier to come back asking for the item to be returned. Immediately tried to arrange collection, reminded buyer (a couple of times) and today they have responded saying that they want both the refund and to keep the item.

Hi, I have been a member of ebay for 6yrs and have not had many try it on, but sometimes you do get one who has a go, If it was me and as it is not too far away I would be paying a visit and asking to see the problem so you can see for yourself. Sounds like a typical rip off especially at this time of year, don't give in without seeing it first, then decide, good luck.

CloudCuckooLand

They received the item mid-November. It took two weeks to get the photos, … They received the item mid-November. It took two weeks to get the photos, a couple of days for the courier to come back asking for the item to be returned. Immediately tried to arrange collection, reminded buyer (a couple of times) and today they have responded saying that they want both the refund and to keep the item.

Buyer is unreasonable. See my previous post say you have to collect item as you are required to check the secret security marking before you can issue any refund.

Banned

They will probably allow you to go and pick it up after they have finished with it.

Are you free on December 26th?

funny.onion

Some buyers are simply mad. I sold a necklace and auction ended at half … Some buyers are simply mad. I sold a necklace and auction ended at half four. The buyer promptly paid and then emailed to say I must get it in the post that night as it had to arrive the next morning for his girlfriend's birthday and he would be leaving me neg feedback if it didn't arrive!As it happened I was home from work as I work part time and was able to post it out in time. I did manage some small revenge on his rudeness by not leaving him any feedback. He left me a positive then a few days later messaged me to leave feedback. I ignored him and he wrote me several more messages and I could feel the steam coming out of his ears as apparently him receiving feedback was a matter of life or death. He quoted me all sorts of made up rules insisting I leave feedback and threatened to contact ebay and have me banned!I never did leave feedback and he eventually stopped contacting me and hopefully, died.

Should have left a "false positive" feedback ie "was a pleasure to deal with apart from the insistance I sent out 10 minutes after the auction ended and all the threats I received should I fail to do so"

Wouldn't have done much except raise their blood pressure a few notches

I'm going with the poster who said that the buyer will use it all December (so as not to upset her kids) and then return it in January. And then as DCX said she will probably return it smashed up for good measure!

Surely Ebay wouldn't side with the buyer if they waited until after Christmas? That would be comparable to getting a refund on a concert ticket 2 weeks after the performance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants