Problem finding light bulbs

Posted 14th NovEdited by:"m1keyp1key"
I need some 60w candle bulbs 35mm E27 and struggling to find some.

I have found these

ebay.co.uk/itm…RjR

But on the 2nd pic on the box it says NOT SUITABLE FOR GENERAL HOUSEHOLD ILLUMINATION.

The product code is 00216 and it's 1 up from the 00215 box i've got.

These bulbs are for 2 old bedside lamps.

Would they be suitable and what is with that warning?
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Got to be 60w bulbs for these lights.
Probably because they are not allowed to sell 'Household bulbs' any more so these are 'industrial' WINK!
No they have to be 60watt candle
m1keyp1key14/11/2019 10:50

Got to be 60w bulbs for these lights.

telegraph.co.uk/new…tml
It's a loophole
Shopkeepers have already reported many customers stocking up by buying the 100 watt bulbs in bulk and the gap in the law means they can still buy the items as long as the packaging is marked “not suitable for household illumination”.
Edited by: "fearona" 14th Nov
If the old lamps have no dimming feature just use low-flicker LED replacements with the colour spec of your preference, likely some derivative of warm white.
fearona14/11/2019 10:55

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6118043/Householders-exploit-loophole-in-light-bulb-ban.htmlIt's a loopholeShopkeepers have already reported many customers stocking up by buying the 100 watt bulbs in bulk and the gap in the law means they can still buy the items as long as the packaging is marked “not suitable for household illumination”.

Thanks, so it's fine for household lighting and a loophole and down to those EU idiots again.

We've gone LED with most lighting but people with certain illnesses get affected by being near LED lighting.
m1keyp1key14/11/2019 10:59

Thanks, so it's fine for household lighting and a loophole and down to …Thanks, so it's fine for household lighting and a loophole and down to those EU idiots again. We've gone LED with most lighting but people with certain illnesses get affected by being near LED lighting.

If so then it's a very, very few people. There's a huge range of spectrums available from LEDs these days and LEDs are used in everything from phone screens to car headlights.

Besides, you're talking about using a pair of bulbs to light a bedroom with the best part of two thousand lumens which isn't exactly the healthiest lighting scheme.

If there no way you can rewire the lamps to not require a constant 60W load? Inefficient bulbs are only going to get harder to find in future.
EndlessWaves14/11/2019 11:35

If so then it's a very, very few people. There's a huge range of spectrums …If so then it's a very, very few people. There's a huge range of spectrums available from LEDs these days and LEDs are used in everything from phone screens to car headlights.Besides, you're talking about using a pair of bulbs to light a bedroom with the best part of two thousand lumens which isn't exactly the healthiest lighting scheme. If there no way you can rewire the lamps to not require a constant 60W load? Inefficient bulbs are only going to get harder to find in future.

1 in 1000 have Lupus and i guess it's just down to how many of them suffer from the same light sensitivity as some can't deal with LED, others Halogen.

I'm not changing anything, just trying to source some bulbs as requested. Our house is very energy efficient so i'll not feel guilty having 4 old style bulbs in the house.
I don't know if they would be exactly what you were looking for but if you have a Wilco's (Wilkinsons) store nearby, pay them a visit. They have been selling off a lot of their bulbs just recently and I saw a lot of E27 candles. 50p each, clearance. I bought a lot of other style bulbs off them as spares.
m1keyp1key14/11/2019 11:58

1 in 1000 have Lupus and i guess it's just down to how many of them suffer …1 in 1000 have Lupus and i guess it's just down to how many of them suffer from the same light sensitivity as some can't deal with LED, others Halogen. I'm not changing anything, just trying to source some bulbs as requested. Our house is very energy efficient so i'll not feel guilty having 4 old style bulbs in the house.

Fair enough, there will always be exceptions to consider. I think Trump has rolled back rules on lightbulbs as he thought energy efficient ones were making him look orange so you should be able to get them from the USA for a while
Why do they need to be 60W? Most bulbs use a lot less energy now but give off the same amount of light. If the lamp says 60W on it then that's the maximum rated bulb you can use (generally due to the heat that old bulbs gave off), you should be fine using any E27 bulb that fits nowadays.
Edited by: "jon81uk" 14th Nov
jon81uk14/11/2019 12:18

Why do they need to be 60W? Most bulbs use a lot less energy now but give …Why do they need to be 60W? Most bulbs use a lot less energy now but give off the same amount of light. If the lamp says 60W on it then that's the maximum rated bulb you can use (generally due to the heat that old bulbs gave off), you should be fine using any E27 bulb that fits nowadays.

Because people with Lupus don't like change, and that includes changes that most of us wouldn't even realise.
esar14/11/2019 13:24

Ledhttps://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-1-pack-screw-e27es-led-800-lumens-candle-li-ght-bulb/p/0475206Incandescenthttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382080295802

Nope not led, and the other ones say E14 and i need E27.

Thanks for looking though, but i'm alright with those ones I linked after people on here told me why they put not suitable for home on the box.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 14th Nov
OllieSt14/11/2019 13:32

6 x STATUS 60W Classic Clear ES E27 Candle Light Bulbs - 6 for £7.16 …6 x STATUS 60W Classic Clear ES E27 Candle Light Bulbs - 6 for £7.16 delivered

Some horrible reviews though for these.

I'm going with the ones i linked to in the first post as they are what i was looking for but was put off by not for the home use, but as it's only a EU workaround they are fine. so i'm sorted. Thanks everyone.
One thing to remember, if E27 get hard to find (though you have 3 sets..) There are E14 to E27 adapters = depending on the type, they may set the E14 low in the adapter, or it may stand high on top of it
matth999914/11/2019 23:41

One thing to remember, if E27 get hard to find (though you have 3 sets..) …One thing to remember, if E27 get hard to find (though you have 3 sets..) There are E14 to E27 adapters = depending on the type, they may set the E14 low in the adapter, or it may stand high on top of it

Cheers i'm going to need them as these have turned up and are too big at the base. So some muppet gave me the wrong light bulb box to order from and we have 10 bulbs we can't use.

They made me doubt myself thinking i screwed up but i've come back to see what i wrote on here as i copied it down from the box (that i've since thrown away).
m1keyp1key18/11/2019 15:19

Cheers i'm going to need them as these have turned up and are too big at …Cheers i'm going to need them as these have turned up and are too big at the base. So some muppet gave me the wrong light bulb box to order from and we have 10 bulbs we can't use. They made me doubt myself thinking i screwed up but i've come back to see what i wrote on here as i copied it down from the box (that i've since thrown away).

Look on the base of the bulb itself for the size, failing that, measure diameter and look up a size chart online
esar18/11/2019 15:29

Look on the base of the bulb itself for the size, failing that, measure …Look on the base of the bulb itself for the size, failing that, measure diameter and look up a size chart online

39021379-AxFwd.jpg

Looking at this i'm pretty safe that they are screw in and only 2 to choose from.
You can get adapters that go small to large as well, but they will definitely increase the height... 99p a piece typically.
E14 would be typical, my friend has a 3 level touch dimming bedside lamp that is E14 and requires an incandescent (or halogen) bulb, can run a MAXIMUM of 60W, ok with a 40W (and a 40 stepped higher on the dimming is more efficient than a 60 stepped lower)
Edited by: "matth9999" 19th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions