Problem with aerial TV picture quality

Posted 18th Nov
I am using a BT YouView box via my main aerial socket (not with BT just using it as a freeview box), I thought my box was faulty but I tested a new one and the same problem occurred.

About 10 minutes into watching any channel a small blurry line starts at the bottom of the screen then gradually works its way up to the top. We have to turn the box on and off again and it’s gone.

Anyone had such a problem before?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Have you checked the signal quality and strength via the settings, before, during and after the problem happens
If the same line occurs at same time on two boxes, consider TV issue.
If you have a booster/splitter it may be that that's faulty
ding18/11/2019 10:57

Have you checked the signal quality and strength via the settings, before, …Have you checked the signal quality and strength via the settings, before, during and after the problem happens

Will check that out, thanks
AndyRoyd18/11/2019 10:58

If the same line occurs at same time on two boxes, consider TV issue.

Didn’t think it could be tv as any other playback such as on demand, YouTube, Netflix etc is all fine
rboyo201018/11/2019 11:19

If you have a booster/splitter it may be that that's faulty

Nah it’s directly into wall socket
Hi Yuzo. Hope you're well. Sounds like an odd one eh? I don't suppose you could get a photo you could post on here of it happening? Is it random or EVERY single time you turn on?

Can you rule out the TV to begin with - i.e. turn on TV without an RF signal (aerial) being supplied and perhaps play a DVD (if you have one) and see if this "line" appears? You need to isolate whether it is the aerial connection, or as AndyRoyd suggests, just the TV itself has an issue.

It's a process of elimination really. What does the blurry line do if you leave it? Does it 'roll' off the top of the screen and appear again at the bottom? I would be interested to know whether this 'line' appears with nothing attached to the TV - i.e. you are just watching 'snow' on the screen or even a 'no-signal' screen.

Also, try feeding the TV directly with the aerial - not through an external device (such as your Youview box) as it could be the boxes are overmodulating and the TV doesn't like it. This won't work of course if your TV is old and has no digital receiver itself though. I'm just thinking along the lines of a faulty 'feed' cable from the box to the TV other than an HDMI. It's what we called the 'fly' lead which gives you a TV picture when the box isn't on. No doubt when you tried another 'box' you used the same connections, yes?

Try a few things I and others suggest and come back and let us know your discoveries, ok?

Kind regards, Phsy.
Yuzo18/11/2019 11:22

Didn’t think it could be tv as any other playback such as on demand, Y …Didn’t think it could be tv as any other playback such as on demand, YouTube, Netflix etc is all fine

Yes but remember Yuzo, all those are supplied via ethernet, not an external transmission. They would not be subject to 'interference' as it were - signal or electrical.
Phsycronix18/11/2019 11:35

Hi Yuzo. Hope you're well. Sounds like an odd one eh? I don't suppose you …Hi Yuzo. Hope you're well. Sounds like an odd one eh? I don't suppose you could get a photo you could post on here of it happening? Is it random or EVERY single time you turn on?Can you rule out the TV to begin with - i.e. turn on TV without an RF signal (aerial) being supplied and perhaps play a DVD (if you have one) and see if this "line" appears? You need to isolate whether it is the aerial connection, or as AndyRoyd suggests, just the TV itself has an issue.It's a process of elimination really. What does the blurry line do if you leave it? Does it 'roll' off the top of the screen and appear again at the bottom? I would be interested to know whether this 'line' appears with nothing attached to the TV - i.e. you are just watching 'snow' on the screen or even a 'no-signal' screen.Also, try feeding the TV directly with the aerial - not through an external device (such as your Youview box) as it could be the boxes are overmodulating and the TV doesn't like it. This won't work of course if your TV is old and has no digital receiver itself though. I'm just thinking along the lines of a faulty 'feed' cable from the box to the TV other than an HDMI. It's what we called the 'fly' lead which gives you a TV picture when the box isn't on. No doubt when you tried another 'box' you used the same connections, yes?Try a few things I and others suggest and come back and let us know your discoveries, ok?Kind regards, Phsy.

Thanks, a few things to work on there to try and find the problem, will get to work on some of them ideas later and let you know
Phsycronix18/11/2019 11:37

Yes but remember Yuzo, all those are supplied via ethernet, not an …Yes but remember Yuzo, all those are supplied via ethernet, not an external transmission. They would not be subject to 'interference' as it were - signal or electrical.

Very good point, they are all apps on the TV itself
Yuzo18/11/2019 12:12

Very good point, they are all apps on the TV itself

Exactly. The 'internet' won't be subject to "interference" like a TV signal. Also, it is being sent to the TV's 'brain' (i.e. software) rather than an RF modulator to deliver it's programming. Your issue could be something simple (albeit annoying) as too much current being received by a component - which manifests itself 'on-screen' and by you turning off and on again, resets.

Out of interest, after you've done your 'off & on' routine, does the problem come back once more after a set period or does it behave itself from then on?
How are you connecting the BT box to the TV, is it by HDMI or RF cable? This is a strange one, sounds like it could be more of a component fault somwhere rather than a signal problem.
Haircut_10018/11/2019 12:46

How are you connecting the BT box to the TV, is it by HDMI or RF cable? …How are you connecting the BT box to the TV, is it by HDMI or RF cable? This is a strange one, sounds like it could be more of a component fault somwhere rather than a signal problem.

it will be via hdmi with rf loopthrough so the tv has freeview too

I would try a different hdmi cable / different port on the tv
Edited by: "chocci" 18th Nov
Disconnect everything, then put the TV's Freeview on with a direct connection to the wall and leave it for the 10 minutes, then add devices one by one.
An RF signal cam interfere with itself if wound around other cables including the power cable
4G interference possibly. If it is you can get free filter here.
To it sounds like rf interference you coud record something on freeview box play back see if you still get it? Try to disconnect tv rf feed leave just freeview only. If your still getting it i would say could be the rf cable it self try indoor Arial or take it to a friend house try on there tv. Try element all devices including power connections. It sounds daft I've known power point causing problems as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if its actually the RF Aerial cable coming in, you could always try playing back something previously recorded or watching something back on demand to rule that out
Is it s new TV / house / location in living room?
This isn't interference of the broadcast signal, you don't get interference like this with digital signals including 4G interference.

Since when have freeview boxes had anything other than passthrough on the rf? not to mention modern TV's don't have analogue tunners to make use of it even if they did.

It's a strange one considering everything is digital, is your freeview box outputting interlaced (i) or progressive (p), if it's interlaced change to progressive.

Other than that it wouldn't surprise if it's a TV picture setting on the HDMI input, turn them all off or cycle through them, or try your TV's game mode on that input, that normally turns off all processing.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 18th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants