Problem with an iPhone 7 from Ebay advise pls

Posted 7th Dec 2019
Hi I would like a little advice please. In April I bought an iPhone 7 in pristine condition from a" large" phone seller on Ebay. It came with a 12 month warranty. The phone developed a fault with the speaker, I couldn't hear peopled vis versa. One of the speakers had gone and the rear camera lens had fallen out. Contacted seller and they sent me a pre paid returns slip. After about a week due to my own fault the phone was sent back to me as it was not signed out of the cloud. Anyway sign out sent phone back. all fixed like new. It was a completely different phone as I had dropped it. anyway another 4 months down the line and the speaker has gone again. Same issue. Tried to get hold of the company but they said they were unable to respond via eBay through my purchase as 3 months had gone by and Ebay don't allow contact. Made contact with manager eventually and he said it was a speaker problem. He said to send the phone in and the address was at the bottom of the page. I paid for this out of my pocket. I also made a point of asking if I needed format and sign out of iCloud. He said no as it was a speaker problem. I sent the phone off ( paying for SD from my own pocket ) only for it to be sent back saying it need to be signed out of iCloud. Again I just formatted the phone and paid yet again out of my pocket for RD. The phone is in pristine condition never dropped etc. My concern here is that I asked if this is a common problem with the speaker and the MD said no. What I'm worried about here is that this is going to happen again in another 3 months or so when the warranty has run out. It's been 8 months now since the purchase of the phone so can not go through the 180 day PayPal progress. What are my choices here. Realistically I would like a refund as I have no confidence with this phone. They have the phone I have been most patient and civil. I've asked for a refund just after another persons view really and advise please.Thank you. Do I have any rights?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
deleted1471098
Don’t think you have any rights around refund or repair to be honest. They are being good fixing this for you.

Lesson learned don’t buy phones on eBay.

If they fix the phone again take it into CEX and sell it. Then use the cash to buy a new phone.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
12 Comments
deleted1471098
Don’t think you have any rights around refund or repair to be honest. They are being good fixing this for you.

Lesson learned don’t buy phones on eBay.

If they fix the phone again take it into CEX and sell it. Then use the cash to buy a new phone.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
Who did you buy it from?
To be honest, they have been good. I think it has been a lesson. I think my ideology in my brain was pristine phone = new phone.
Ive bought phones from Ebay many a time though and I've still got a iPhone 4 still going strong!
They have to repair the phone as it's under warranty!
There service in general has been tiptop and apart from a few miscommunications I'm happy ( ish )
Haircut_10007/12/2019 16:47

Who did you buy it from?

I don't think I will name and blame as it is a larger seller and overall I've been happy but this is a reoccurring same issue fault.
I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it seems to be a MASSIVE problem with these models, Can anyone concur?
mrman00707/12/2019 16:57

I don't think I will name and blame as it is a larger seller and overall …I don't think I will name and blame as it is a larger seller and overall I've been happy but this is a reoccurring same issue fault.

It's not naming and blaming. Different companies have different policies regarding length of warranty, return policy and procedure, etc. Knowing where you bought it from can be helpful in giving you advise as to what to do and where to go next.
mrman00707/12/2019 16:59

I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it seems to be a MASSIVE problem …I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it seems to be a MASSIVE problem with these models, Can anyone concur?

I recently sold my 7 which I’ve had for 3 years from new, never had such a problem. I dropped it a few times but it never affected anything internally in the phone

...Do I have any rights? ... I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it …...Do I have any rights? ... I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it seems to be a MASSIVE problem with these models, Can anyone concur?

Any 12m warranty you indicate is not mandatory and is a gesture of goodwill from the merchant who appears to be respecting that GoG, so respect to the merchant (and respect to you for not n&s). However if you can demonstrate that a product has an inherent fault or has a persistently repeating fault you may (repeat: may) be entitled to a madatory part-refund on the basis of poor quality / durability in the context of the purchase price, and assuming you paid a typical price for this item it would normally be classed as a premium product with commensurate quality and durability. The law is quite clear about the rights for the first purchaser of a product suffering repeat failures within the first 6 months of ownership, where qualifying failures would provide a right of refund less a deduction for the usefulness (duration) that the first purchaser enjoyed. Non-first-purchasers' rights are less, especially after the first 6 months.
Unless you feel very confident about proving inherent fault you may find it more beneficial to say goodbye to the product after the next fix, possibly increasing its resale value if the remainder of your purchase warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner.
Random / bizarre suggestion: maybe trade it to CEX and buy the same model from CEX, because CEX offers 2 years warranty on its products.
Had 2 iPhone 7s since release and kids had them for over a year now and no problems. Sell it when it’s fixed then no need to worry.
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 17:37

Any 12m warranty you indicate is not mandatory and is a gesture of …Any 12m warranty you indicate is not mandatory and is a gesture of goodwill from the merchant who appears to be respecting that GoG, so respect to the merchant (and respect to you for not n&s). However if you can demonstrate that a product has an inherent fault or has a persistently repeating fault you may (repeat: may) be entitled to a madatory part-refund on the basis of poor quality / durability in the context of the purchase price, and assuming you paid a typical price for this item it would normally be classed as a premium product with commensurate quality and durability. The law is quite clear about the rights for the first purchaser of a product suffering repeat failures within the first 6 months of ownership, where qualifying failures would provide a right of refund less a deduction for the usefulness (duration) that the first purchaser enjoyed. Non-first-purchasers' rights are less, especially after the first 6 months.Unless you feel very confident about proving inherent fault you may find it more beneficial to say goodbye to the product after the next fix, possibly increasing its resale value if the remainder of your purchase warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner.Random / bizarre suggestion: maybe trade it to CEX and buy the same model from CEX, because CEX offers 2 years warranty on its products.

I'm just into my 7 month but I didn't have the phone for a month as it was being repaired. I wouldn't name and shame as they have been great really and things just happen and no-one is to blame. I just don't want a door stop in 4 months I don't know what it is with iPhones they just seem to die on me whilst I've had galaxy in the past and they just keep going but I use an iMac all the time and just purchased a new one after 8 maybe 9 years of my old Apple chunk box. lol
Thanks for the feedback guys, I probably just needed to get it off my chest and let the goose loose as it were! What a quack I am! 2 years warranty That's good to know. Thank you
Edited by: "mrman007" 7th Dec 2019
mrman00707/12/2019 17:58

...and things just happen and no-one is to blame.

I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it seems to be a MASSIVE problem …I have been reading about iPhone 7 and it seems to be a MASSIVE problem with these models...

Not sure it isn't unclear which opinion you don't want to not run with.
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 19:12

Not sure it isn't unclear which opinion you don't want to not run with.

oh dear, lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants