Expired

Problem with mapfre assistance insurance claim

Found 16th Mar 2013
I am at my wits end with this insurance company who handles claim for avanti insurance. I have had to claim on their travel insurance for my mother who has been taken critically ill in south east asia where she is on holiday with acute cholecystitis, which is gallstone problem.

However, even though she has been in hospital for 3 days, they still have not been able to validate her claim and so won't do anything. They said that they have an initial report from the hospital and they are waiting for an update. They also are waiting for a medical disclosure form from my mum so they can get her medical records from her GP as she would not be covered if she had gallstone before she went on holiday.

Normally the delay in paperwork is not a problem but I want my mum to be transported back to the uk for treatment as she needs an operation and the country that she is in is a 3rd world country with limited medical facilities. They also operate on a pay before treatment basis or they throw you out of the hospital and let you die in the street.

My mother has had to pay over £1,000 in cash up front already as the insurer has not validated her claim and won't promise to pay the hospital. They say they are having difficulty contacting the hospital but that contradicts the fact that they have already received an initial report from them. How many reports do they need FFS.
Community Updates
AskInsuranceMovie
15 Comments
Banned
which third world country?
hi mut m8 if u dont mind me asking where is it your mum is , i have some friends in malaysia in the medical profession if that would help you if she is near there m8 . anything i can do to help you i am here if you need me m8
if she really needs a cholecystectomy m8 and you want it done in uk the could maybe do an endoscopicretrogradecholiangiopancreatography or ercp as i know it if the stones are in the common bile duct or so
Original Poster
she is on holiday in vietnam and the insurance company only has a contact in thailand so they can't send anyone to the hospital to talk personally to them.

problem with hospitals in vietnam is that they don't really answer phones as communication is mainly face to face in vietnam.

if she was in malaysia, i wouldn't have worried so much as malaysia is not a mickey mouse country like vietnam.
k m8 no probs
Have you/your mother considered seeking consular assistance?

British Consul Vietnam
Original Poster
ceres

Have you/your mother considered seeking consular assistance?British … Have you/your mother considered seeking consular assistance?British Consul Vietnam

i hadn't thought of that. she is in ho chi minh city, which is the capital in south vietnam so i will contact them to see if they can offer any help to speed things up with the incompetent insurance claim company dragging their feet.

they don't care about my mother's condition at all. all they are asking about is whether they have to cover her at all.
Original Poster
ceres

Have you/your mother considered seeking consular assistance?British … Have you/your mother considered seeking consular assistance?British Consul Vietnam

just called the british consulate helpline and they say that i have to liaise with the insurance company and they can't help really. they advised me to push the insurer and to contact medical assistance companies if the situation becomes desperate and pay for my mum to be flown back to the uk myself and claim against the insurer.
Hi Mutley, sorry to read about all the probs your having with the insurance company, they should be making this as easy as possible instead on making it as difficult as this. If you're still banging your head against a brick wall with them would it help to get you MP on the case? Sometimes all it takes is a call to the top to get things moving lower down the chain, and no company likes bad publicity, so is this something The Sun or one of the other red tops could get in on? Has she got someone in Vietnam with her?
Original Poster
booky

Hi Mutley, sorry to read about all the probs your having with the … Hi Mutley, sorry to read about all the probs your having with the insurance company, they should be making this as easy as possible instead on making it as difficult as this. If you're still banging your head against a brick wall with them would it help to get you MP on the case? Sometimes all it takes is a call to the top to get things moving lower down the chain, and no company likes bad publicity, so is this something The Sun or one of the other red tops could get in on? Has she got someone in Vietnam with her?

yes. this is it. i have seen airport on tv and they had one where the insurance company sent someone to visit the insured at hospital straightaway and helped them through the whole process of bringing them back to the uk after their stay in the hospital abroad.

this one, no chance. they won't even pick up the phone to speak to the hospital let alone visit you.
luckily my aunt is with my mum on holiday so is helping to look after her in hospital.
How very sad and traumatic it must be for you all, I loathe insurance companies.

They should pay them first and then decide if they are liable or not.
Original Poster
shauneco

How very sad and traumatic it must be for you all, I loathe insurance … How very sad and traumatic it must be for you all, I loathe insurance companies.They should pay them first and then decide if they are liable or not.

i don't have a problem with them trying to establish liability but they should do this quickly not drag their feet when it is an emergency and they should be more sympathetic on the phone and more considerate of relatives who are worried sick and keep them up to date with progress.

the gp disclosure form should have been done when you took out insurance, that is, you complete the gp disclosure form at the time of purchase which gives them access to your gp should you need to make a claim. she has an annual travel policy with them so they had plenty of time to set up this gp disclosure form.
We had the same problems. My wife was pregnant and we informed them of that before taking out the insurance. Whilst on holiday my wife started bleeding heavily. We rushed her to hospital. And contacted the insurance company. We will pone you back they said. They didn't. We phoned them 9 more times over the next three days- THEY NEVER EVEN PHONED BACK OR EVEN CONTACTED THE HOSPITAL.
If we hadn't been able to pay for the treatment ourselves we would have lost the lives of both the baby and my wife.
These idiots in IRELAND called MAPFRE ASSISTANCE really should be strung up from the nearest tree, How many people have to die before the Garda arrest them all???
So NEVER take out insurance that using MAPFRE assistance. Even after paid ourselves and made complaint they never even bothered to answer the complaint. Total con company.
Original Poster
Blanik

We had the same problems. My wife was pregnant and we informed them of … We had the same problems. My wife was pregnant and we informed them of that before taking out the insurance. Whilst on holiday my wife started bleeding heavily. We rushed her to hospital. And contacted the insurance company. We will pone you back they said. They didn't. We phoned them 9 more times over the next three days- THEY NEVER EVEN PHONED BACK OR EVEN CONTACTED THE HOSPITAL. If we hadn't been able to pay for the treatment ourselves we would have lost the lives of both the baby and my wife. These idiots in IRELAND called MAPFRE ASSISTANCE really should be strung up from the nearest tree, How many people have to die before the Garda arrest them all???So NEVER take out insurance that using MAPFRE assistance. Even after paid ourselves and made complaint they never even bothered to answer the complaint. Total con company.

here is a link to my post at the time on mapfre assistance and avanti travel insurance

hotukdeals.com/mis…134

Mapfre Assistance is a total joke. They are actually a spanish underwriter to many popular travel insurance like insureandgo. They just have a claims office in Ireland to deal with UK claims.

I learnt a harsh lesson when I took out travel insurance with them for my mum. That although your insurer may be UK the underwriter who actually pay for medical bills can be foreign and so not regulated by the British Insurance board.

Now I always make sure I find out in the small print who the underwriter is (and most travel insurers cleverly always hide it in the small print who the underwriters are) and ensure that they are a UK or affluent european country like Germany before I take out travel insurance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions