Problem with our boiler

Posted 5th Mar
Has anyone had the same problem. Our plumber replaced the main part of the boiler, it worked for a while but now it has developed this fault, For example the hot water won't kick in if i use the shower in our en-suite shower, but works perfectly fine when i use the shower in the main bathroom or the sink in the kitchen. So what we need to do, is turn the shower on , and then go to the kitchen sink for example open the hot tap to kick on the boiler, once the flame comes on, then turn off the kitchen tap and the water at the faulty shower will be hot. We can do the same by turning up the thermostat for the heating. Our plumber came back, had all the parts out and cleaned but he says that he cannot find the fault. Has anyone else had that problem? TIA
J
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
I would get my money back and a different plumber, you shouldn’t be paying for something what doesn’t work correctly.
Try removing the shower hose in en suite and turn shower on as might be a build up of limescale restricting flow or too small a bore in the hose (7mm vs 11mm)
chocci05/03/2020 10:26

Try removing the shower hose in en suite and turn shower on as might be a …Try removing the shower hose in en suite and turn shower on as might be a build up of limescale restricting flow or too small a bore in the hose (7mm vs 11mm)

Agree .And make sure your shower is set to hot only. (don't be in it XD)
Edited by: "1850maggie" 5th Mar
Shower may be thermostatic and could have jammed, maybe debris went up the pipe when boiler was being fixed
Edited by: "esar" 5th Mar
chocci05/03/2020 10:26

Try removing the shower hose in en suite and turn shower on as might be a …Try removing the shower hose in en suite and turn shower on as might be a build up of limescale restricting flow or too small a bore in the hose (7mm vs 11mm)

No still the same problem. I have been using the same plumber for many years and he always been great (reliable and reasonable in term of money, he spent an hour trying to find the fault last time and did not charge us anything), also when he left everything was working, so it seems that the fault is temperamental. We have had the boiler for about 10 years now, so he could be that it is just knackered, although he changed the main part (can't remember the name of it) but it cost us £270 including labour. It has to be some sort of switch or valve in my opinion.
esar05/03/2020 10:43

Shower may be thermostatic and could have jammed, maybe debris went up the …Shower may be thermostatic and could have jammed, maybe debris went up the pipe when boiler was being fixed

Is it just a matter to take the cartridge off and give it a clean, i have done it before?
My Mum had the same problem a few years back with an old boiler.(hot water worked when the heating was on).
The problem was a perforated diaphragm within the diverter valve,
If it was this i would assume your boiler engineer would know this (or is he manly a plumber).No disrespect intended to plumbers.
1850maggie05/03/2020 12:39

My Mum had the same problem a few years back with an old boiler.(hot water …My Mum had the same problem a few years back with an old boiler.(hot water worked when the heating was on).The problem was a perforated diaphragm within the diverter valve,If it was this i would assume your boiler engineer would know this (or is he manly a plumber).No disrespect intended to plumbers.

So how does the main shower work then?
assuming the e-suite is furthest away ,as the valve moves over and the pressure builds up more water is forced through the perforated rubber diaphragm making the boiler think demand for hot water is no longer there..
1850maggie05/03/2020 14:04

assuming the e-suite is furthest away ,as the valve moves over and the …assuming the e-suite is furthest away ,as the valve moves over and the pressure builds up more water is forced through the perforated rubber diaphragm making the boiler think demand for hot water is no longer there..

You could be on to something there, I'd get someone to turn on the dodgy shower and stand next to the boiler listening for the on demand water heating part of the boiler to kick in, strange how it stays hot though, you'd think it'd go cold!
esar05/03/2020 15:39

You could be on to something there, I'd get someone to turn on the dodgy …You could be on to something there, I'd get someone to turn on the dodgy shower and stand next to the boiler listening for the on demand water heating part of the boiler to kick in, strange how it stays hot though, you'd think it'd go cold!

That's the thing, it does not click in like with the other tap or shower or the central heating thermostat when you turn the dial up be 1 or 2 degree. I will tell me plumber about the perforated valve (thanks Maggie), I will also in the mean time remove the cartridge and give it a good clean just in case too
Just asked my other half. He knows about these things. He says have you got a combi-boiler or one with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard?

He says if you have the hot water cylinder it is likely to be a worn out 3 port valve or the 3 port valve motor that is the problem or an airlock.
jeannot1805/03/2020 16:09

That's the thing, it does not click in like with the other tap or shower …That's the thing, it does not click in like with the other tap or shower or the central heating thermostat when you turn the dial up be 1 or 2 degree. I will tell me plumber about the perforated valve (thanks Maggie), I will also in the mean time remove the cartridge and give it a good clean just in case too

Check the showerhead for limescale too.
Willy_Wonka05/03/2020 16:20

Just asked my other half. He knows about these things. He says have you …Just asked my other half. He knows about these things. He says have you got a combi-boiler or one with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard?He says if you have the hot water cylinder it is likely to be a worn out 3 port valve or the 3 port valve motor that is the problem or an airlock.

combi boiler
esar05/03/2020 16:20

Check the showerhead for limescale too.

But i have tried it without the hose as suggested and he did not make a difference
Have you tried starting the shower on max heat and leave it going for at least 30 seconds so the boiler gets a lengthy flow through the hot pipe?
Reset the boiler, might resolve the issue
It will be the diaphragm washer is worn or the pipes to the diaphragm are partially blocked. As it's not exerting enough pressure to the diaphragm to kick in the micro switch to turn on the boiler.. Taps closer to the boiler will apply more pressure and will kick in the boiler.
Ask the engineer to monitor the movement of the pin that kicks in the hot water. If anything bend the lever on the microswitch down so it's more sensitive. If you can let me know what boiler you have with model number and let me know what parts you have had replaced I might be able to advise next step. Or find a more experienced engineer. You can also call the manufacturers technical team of the engineer can and they give free advice and help and are normally the best people that can help. Even when I have been stuck I always look to them first and truthfully they have never let me down.
Willy_Wonka05/03/2020 17:34

Are any of your showers electric?

Yes one upstair, why, i thought electric shower did not use the boiler?
kash201305/03/2020 22:25

Ask the engineer to monitor the movement of the pin that kicks in the hot …Ask the engineer to monitor the movement of the pin that kicks in the hot water. If anything bend the lever on the microswitch down so it's more sensitive. If you can let me know what boiler you have with model number and let me know what parts you have had replaced I might be able to advise next step. Or find a more experienced engineer. You can also call the manufacturers technical team of the engineer can and they give free advice and help and are normally the best people that can help. Even when I have been stuck I always look to them first and truthfully they have never let me down.

Thanks kash, i will clean the cartridge first (i am in the middle of decorating the kitchen so i did not have the time to do it yet), if this does not work, i will call my plumber and tell him all those things that have been mentioned, particularly the one about calling the manufacturer), i understand that no one can know everything about something (happened to me a lot of time in my job) and so far he has always done a great job, so it's not like he is completely useless
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants