Expired

Problems with Royal Mail, anyone had anything similiar?

Found 4th Jun 2014
Has anyone else had a similiar problem with Royal Mail?

Basically, I moved house in January and relocated from the Midlands down to Devon. I took out a Royal Mail re-direction for 3 months and a month into my redirection Royal Mail delivered an item (A football shirt) to my old address. A signed for, tracked item that should have been re-directed to my new address was delivered in error to my old address and signed for by the people living in my old house (whomever they may be?).

I complained to Royal Mail as firstly, the re-direction service I have paid for has failed on at least one occasion (and potentially more that I am unaware of) and secondly I want my parcel.

RM said I should contact the sender to say it hasn't arrived and get a refund from them. The sender didn't want to know as they delivered it to the correct address on the order (where it was signed for) and the error is on the part of Royal Mail.

I've escalated within Royail Mail and several months later I have just recieved this :

"If a problem arises with goods purchased by mail order or via the internet, we would normally expect the seller to settle any loss directly with the purchaser and then submit accordingly.  Furthermore, for lost items sent via our Royal Mail Tracked 24 service, only the sender can submit a claim for compensation.  The simplest way to resolve your enquiry, therefore, is for you to contact the sender so that they can consider providing you with replacement goods or refunding any payment you have made."

Problem is the seller (rightly in my opinion) is saying I'm not refunding you, I delievered to the correct address and RM failed to act on the terms of it's agreement to redirect the package to you?

I've no idea where to go with this now? Could do with a fresh pair of eyes...

22 Comments

Did you pay for the shirt by Credit Card?

If so, ask for the respective financial organisation to pursue this on your behalf.

(Why did you tell the seller the whole story? Surely just saying the item had not arrived was sufficient information. They would then have submitted a claim & all this may have been resolved sooner).

The parcel is the problem of the seller. They will take it up with RM. You need to keep on at the seller for another top.

Your problem with RM is that they did not redirect as they ought to. This happened because the redirection sits with the letters postie and not the parcels postie. It is a not unheard of occurrence. You should ask for an extension to your redirection (you could ask for a partial refund but getting another month will be more readily agreeable).

that redirecting post thing hardly ever works

royalmail.com/per…ort

click complaints,item is missing,compo for loss from uk services,read the full article and further down the page it says about redirected mail,if yours was recorded,then it says you can claim up to £50 back......basically,it`s the posties fault for not doing his job properly (that`s what redirection cards are for!)

Original Poster

fanpages

Did you pay for the shirt by Credit Card?If so, ask for the respective … Did you pay for the shirt by Credit Card?If so, ask for the respective financial organisation to pursue this on your behalf.(Why did you tell the seller the whole story? Surely just saying the item had not arrived was sufficient information. They would then have submitted a claim & all this may have been resolved sooner).

Nope, just normal bank card. I guess a) I thought telling the truth was the best idea (and this is what we tell our kids!) and b) I thought if they delivered another I'd be back in the same spot once Royal Mail buggered it up again.

Flodd

Nope, just normal bank card. I guess a) I thought telling the truth was … Nope, just normal bank card. I guess a) I thought telling the truth was the best idea (and this is what we tell our kids!) and b) I thought if they delivered another I'd be back in the same spot once Royal Mail buggered it up again.

Just saying you had received it was the truth, but you cannot expect everybody else to play by the same 'rules'.

If the seller cannot be bothered with helping, why not just ask for the Royal Mail claim form, complete as much as you can, & ask the seller if you can sign it on their behalf?

On the form you can request all correspondence is sent to you at your (new) address (assuming it doesn't get lost, or ends up somewhere else), if you wish.

Can you provide evidence of the cost of the lost item?
Perhaps the seller is reluctant to do this part of the claim.

As discussed though, the Royal Fail messed this up, & you should at least get compensation for the payment of a service you have not received... if you go through the correct complaints procedure.

Why not provide your new delivery address when purchasing the t shirt lol?

dtovey89

Why not provide your new delivery address when purchasing the t shirt lol?

That would mess up the Royal Mail scam.

fanpages

There's too many variables for Royal Mail to handle. OP should have just provided his correct delivery address.

It should have been the same as his (new) billing address considering it was over a month since moving.

Original Poster

Once again...too much information and the usual suspects of misk surface...

shirt ordered - early December
job offer accepted - late December
relocated - early January
shirt delivered - 8th feb

I didn't know it had been delivered until i chased in mid feb and to be honest it was the last thing on my mind at the time of moving (hell... I didn't need to worry, id paid to have my mail redirected!)

Tovey - stay out of it, this isn't an Islamic sympathy thread, you have nothing to add that i want to hear.

Havince

that redirecting post thing hardly ever works

Correct - having been a postie sometimes through wanting to get the "main" job done I'd forget to check for re-directs and other little "add-ons" the odd time my manager gave me a b******ing

This was a few years ago when mail was still a hefty part of the business and mailshots were a pain.

But it's still the sellers responsibility but why did you not contact the seller before you moved?

Flodd

Once again...too much information and the usual suspects of misk … Once again...too much information and the usual suspects of misk surface...shirt ordered - early Decemberjob offer accepted - late Decemberrelocated - early Januaryshirt delivered - 8th febI didn't know it had been delivered until i chased in mid feb and to be honest it was the last thing on my mind at the time of moving (hell... I didn't need to worry, id paid to have my mail redirected!)Tovey - stay out of it, this isn't an Islamic sympathy thread, you have nothing to add that i want to hear.

zzzz

You should have mentioned that you ordered the t shirt before you moved house.

Secondly, why did you wait a month to question why the t shirt hadn't been delivered? No wonder the seller thinks you're dodgy.

P.S. what does Islam have to do with anything?

Original Poster

dtovey89

zzzzYou should have mentioned that you ordered the t shirt before you … zzzzYou should have mentioned that you ordered the t shirt before you moved house.Secondly, why did you wait a month to question why the t shirt hadn't been delivered? No wonder the seller thinks you're dodgy.P.S. what does Islam have to do with anything?

Why? oh Why? oh Why... do I expect any different...

I didn't mention it because that's not the question. The question is : Has anyone ever paid for a Royal Mail re-direction service that has failed and what was the RM repsonse. Found a few threads on MSE but came here for a balanced approach.

I waited a month because the delivery time was 6-8 weeks and I didn't want to be an areshole by chansing them ahead of time. That and the fact that I'd relocated 160 miles, sold my own house in a matter of weeks, rented somehere new as a stopgap, found a school for my daughter, started a new job, to be honest my missing Baggies shirt (given our league predicament) wasn't at the forefront of my mind...

Just for futher info, this isn't EBAY, this is a proper retail seller who quite rightly is saying "I delivered it as per our contract, to the address you gave me" - The fault here (as far as I can tell) lies with RM who delievered to the wrong address and will not take any responsibility for the issue that they caused.

Put yourself in the retailers shoes... would you refund or re-send?

Original Poster

fanpages

I wish I had scammed them now!

write a letter to the people at your old address demanding they forward the football shirt to you, other wise you will sue them for mail fraud (opening someone else's mail which doesn't belong to you).

How is failure to provide a paid for service [Royal Mail redirect] the responsibility of the seller.The seller has fulfilled all contractual duties by having the item delivered and signed for at the designated address,this smells of RM shirking its duties.

fuhu78888

write a letter to the people at your old address demanding they forward … write a letter to the people at your old address demanding they forward the football shirt to you, other wise you will sue them for mail fraud (opening someone else's mail which doesn't belong to you).

You never know.... Send a polite letter in the first instance and you might get a much better response? Become an a***hole and you will get little help.

Original Poster

arachnoid

How is failure to provide a paid for service [Royal Mail redirect] the … How is failure to provide a paid for service [Royal Mail redirect] the responsibility of the seller.The seller has fulfilled all contractual duties by having the item delivered and signed for at the designated address,this smells of RM shirking its duties.

That's what I thought... I was beginning to thnk it was just me.

ipswich78

You never know.... Send a polite letter in the first instance and you … You never know.... Send a polite letter in the first instance and you might get a much better response? Become an a***hole and you will get little help.

i was being sarcastic, unfortunately sometimes people respond better to threatening letters where they think they are going to get in trouble with the law than to polite requests. hence, bailiffs, debt collectors are normally total winkers.

Banned

With a bit of luck, the Royal Mail will go bust, for far too long they have had the monopoly, poor service, lost mail, unwilling and making it difficult to make a claim. We as the public have had to sit back and accept this for far too long, I can't wait until I can use a different company to send letters with, like TNT. Royal Mail will then either have shape up or go bust!

fuhu78888

i was being sarcastic, unfortunately sometimes people respond better to … i was being sarcastic, unfortunately sometimes people respond better to threatening letters where they think they are going to get in trouble with the law than to polite requests. hence, bailiffs, debt collectors are normally total winkers.

Really? I find that politeness often gets you a lot further than being threatening. If you go straight on the attack it gets peoples backs up.

Well to be honest despite their issues a lot of the remote locations and areas where its unprofitable to deliver would suffer greatly if RM where out of the market and no one else was forced to deliver which they are presently.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 5th Jun 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions