Problems with Sky/Openreach

Found 3rd FebEdited by:"Michael_Taylor"
Issues currently ongoing for months, this month alone has seen 10 engineers to my house to fix my phoneline/internet. Long and short of my issue is constant internet outages (40+ times a day) and constant noise and disconnections of calls, which has led to us cancelling our phone deal as the phones basically unusable. Sky and Openreach can see these issues when they run their tests and yet still can't fix the issues.

I'm wondering where I stand in terms of what I should actually be paying for, like am I still required to pay the line rental on a line thats been faulty for so long? Should I say to sky that I won't pay until the issues are fixed? Also is there anything I can do to make them take this seriously?

Thanks, Michael.
Community Updates
AskEntertainment
14 Comments
Have you replaced the master socket?
RiverDragon85 m ago

Have you replaced the master socket?

Yeah, new wiring in the house, new hubs, microfilters etc.. Honestly can't list everything that's been done as its just been too much. The next step supposedly is an entirely new line. But on the upside I'm set for sky routers lol.
Has any equipment at your local telephone exchange been checked/tested?

Have you spoken with BT engineers directly, or has all of the dialogue been to Sky, & Sky to BT?

"...Also is there anything I can do to make them take this seriously?"

Are you looking for a) compensation, b) a refund/suspension of payment until the issues are resolved, or c) a working line/internet connection?

If a) or b) Speak to a Manager (or Senior Supervisor) within the Sky Customer Services team. If that proves unsuccessful, write to them (keeping a copy, & sending by a postal method that can be tracked through to delivery). State that you want the situation resolved, & also state a date at which you will seek legal representation for the return of the payments you have made when no (or limited) service has been provided.

Do not cancel your Direct Debit/Standing Order & refused to pay. That could lead to a bigger issue regarding your Credit Rating.

If c) move to another supplier/service provider, & ask that a full line test is performed in advance.
I had a similar issues altho i was with EE but talktalk was absolutely fine before i left. EE replaced a few things such as the wire on the pole. Im now with Vodafone and its ok now but honestly i personally think openreach are not fixing equipment properly
fanpages11 m ago

Has any equipment at your local telephone exchange been …Has any equipment at your local telephone exchange been checked/tested?Have you spoken with BT engineers directly, or has all of the dialogue been to Sky, & Sky to BT?"...Also is there anything I can do to make them take this seriously?"Are you looking for a) compensation, b) a refund/suspension of payment until the issues are resolved, or c) a working line/internet connection?If a) or b) Speak to a Manager (or Senior Supervisor) within the Sky Customer Services team. If that proves unsuccessful, write to them (keeping a copy, & sending by a postal method that can be tracked through to delivery). State that you want the situation resolved, & also state a date at which you will seek legal representation for the return of the payments you have made when no (or limited) service has been provided.Do not cancel your Direct Debit/Standing Order & refused to pay. That could lead to a bigger issue regarding your Credit Rating.If c) move to another supplier/service provider, & ask that a full line test is performed in advance.

I appreciate the detailed response.

Yes, I have spoken to most of the engineers that have worked on the line. For your second question, ideally B+C, a suspension of payment on my line rental until point C is achieved.

In terms of your last piece of advice, I've had hundreds of line tests ran, normally 2 or 3 per phonecall for months. It wont show anything that hasn't already been seen. I'm not sure if they're just choosing to ignore the problem. Thanks again for your reply.
Misslovely3rd Feb

I had a similar issues altho i was with EE but talktalk was absolutely …I had a similar issues altho i was with EE but talktalk was absolutely fine before i left. EE replaced a few things such as the wire on the pole. Im now with Vodafone and its ok now but honestly i personally think openreach are not fixing equipment properly

My Sky case worker says the same thing, as apparently any service provider has to pay openreach £130 for every job, big or small. So why fix a fault which brings in a lot of money? Not that I believe that's entirely true, but perhaps hiring a few low skilled engineers here and there :P
Basic contract law applies; Are you receiving the service you were sold? It doesn't sound like it. The odd problem is to be expected but you are far beyond that. And it does not appear that you have been told its your inetrnal house wiring. So it's their problem.

As a consumer you have some recourse through the regulator OFCOM but I would save your breath.

Look on MSE or Which and send a letter using their templates.
I used to have that problem in my last house. The issue was the distance between my house and the exchange. Over the years I had every bit of equipment changed umpteen times but nothing made it better. Short of moving the house to the other end of the street there was nothing they could do. I moved in the end but not just because of the internet.
Have you tried a quiet line test? Connect to master socket and dial 17070 option 2.

I had a similar problem, was only noticeable in windy weather, the line from the post to the house was damaged and the wires rubbed causing constant broadband disconnects.

New line fixed it, will be free if the damaged part is outside the boundary of your home.
moneybag1 h, 38 m ago

Have you tried a quiet line test? Connect to master socket and dial 17070 …Have you tried a quiet line test? Connect to master socket and dial 17070 option 2.I had a similar problem, was only noticeable in windy weather, the line from the post to the house was damaged and the wires rubbed causing constant broadband disconnects.New line fixed it, will be free if the damaged part is outside the boundary of your home.

I had a very similar thing to this, our house (rural) was six kilometers from the exchange, and we actually had a bt pole in our own field that had a damaged wire, it took numerous visits and complaining before openreach actually checked the pole on our land and found the problem, but bt wouldn't pay any compensation because we never had three continuous days without any service at all.
Have your neighbours got the same problem?
<< openreach CSE.

When you say noise, what do you mean? A crackle, a hum, a buzz?
Are you fed overhead from a pole, does it come underground into the back of a master socket, underground via a BT66 (or similar) on the outside of your premises?

Does your neighbour(s) have any issues?
What have sky/openreach previously done?
we have had similar problems twice but both got resolved. it took about 6 weeks each time for openreach to find the issue.

the first time, the gas board cut the phone cable accidentally when they laid new pipes. the road had to be dug up again and the cable repaired.

the second time water got into the junction box and the cable protector was not closed securely so it could not keep the water out. they also replaced the master socket in our house which was old.

i called sky up after the issues had been fixed to ask for a refund of line rental and broadband costs for the periods of disruption where we had no service and the operator refunded me without any issue.

although openreach was slow in getting the issue resolved, i thought that sky did take the issue seriously, a lot more than if we were with BT.
Will Sky allow you to leave your contract due to this ? if they say yes then you do have the option to order a second line.
Contact any provider, including Sky if you want to stay with them, ring them and sign up as a new customer, during the order journey they will see an active line, tell them not to take that over, instead insist on a new line installed, you can give a range of reasons why you want the 2nd line, inlcuding telling them the other line belongs to a housemate, it's used for an alarm etc

The new line should be free to install if you take broadband, most providers offer this discount.

Once the 2nd line is installed you can cancel the original line, that way you should end up with a new fault free phone line with broadband.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants