Problems with Stihl FS55 Strimmer.

Found 20th Jun 2015
Can anyone give me some advice as to what the problem may be before I start tinkering.

The symptoms are this: Its starts and runs fine when the choke is on, but as soon as I turn off the choke it dies and it will not start with the choke off even once its warm and been running for a little while.

I was thinking about cleaning the carb and getting new gaskets ect... or could it be the mixture screws need adjusting?

Thanks in advance, any useful information would be grateful.

6 Comments

Try adjusting the mixture or tickover screw to increase the revs a little. Before you start taking the carb apart.

Original Poster

Sprograt

Try adjusting the mixture or tickover screw to increase the revs a … Try adjusting the mixture or tickover screw to increase the revs a little. Before you start taking the carb apart.

Okay cheers, I've give that ago tomorrow and see how I get on.

joshp

Okay cheers, I've give that ago tomorrow and see how I get on.

Also make sure the air filter isn't blocked as this could effect the running of the engine. This webpage could help you. manualslib.com/man…=34
Edited by: "Sprograt" 20th Jun 2015

Original Poster

Sprograt

Also make sure the air filter isn't blocked as this could effect the … Also make sure the air filter isn't blocked as this could effect the running of the engine. This webpage could help you. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/165810/Stihl-Fs-55.html?page=34#manual

Excellent, thanks again. I'll take a look at that.

If this happened on a older model car I would have said the idle jet is blocked ,but on a strimmer ....................not sure if it has a jet .I would say it had something to do with the carb though. Take it off ,clean it out , then try it .

ricko

If this happened on a older model car I would have said the idle jet is … If this happened on a older model car I would have said the idle jet is blocked ,but on a strimmer ....................not sure if it has a jet .I would say it had something to do with the carb though. Take it off ,clean it out , then try it .

As far as I know they have a main and an idle jet, and like you I'm guessing one of them is blocked.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions