Processor performance question i5 vs i7

Posted 13th Jul 2020
Excuse the question, I consider myself quite au fait with IT equipment but what I don’t get is how can there be laptops or gaming rigs up to £1k+ with an i5 processor? Is that not taking the you know what, considering there are faster cheaper processors or am I missing something like older i7 is slower than newer i5.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Any i7 will be better than an i5. The newer i5's may close the gap a little bit but an i7 still has more cores.
zworld13/07/2020 23:20

Any i7 will be better than an i5. The newer i5's may close the gap a …Any i7 will be better than an i5. The newer i5's may close the gap a little bit but an i7 still has more cores.

That is very much not true e.g. cpu.userbenchmark.com/Com…031
Cost cutting techniques by companies.

Some companies may put a cheaper i5 than an i7 because the small performance increase (in gaming for example) isn't worth it for the higher price tag.

But there are also some companies that will try to rip you off, by selling you a rubbish specc'd laptop and calling it for gaming
zworld13/07/2020 23:20

Any i7 will be better than an i5. The newer i5's may close the gap a …Any i7 will be better than an i5. The newer i5's may close the gap a little bit but an i7 still has more cores.

Core i5/i7's can have the same core/thread count.
It’s a convenience charge isn’t it? It’s been like it for many years. People fear building PCs even though they’re pretty easy to do.
It's been a while since I last built a PC but back then everyone just got i5's because all the i7's really added was hyperthreading which doesn't gain much for gaming.

As for any i7's better than i5's that's not remotely true even of the same generation, some of the lower i7's are worse than some of the i5's as they try and be powerful within energy constraints that can limit them.
What you are overlooking is Accounts. Marginal costing.

you build a new machine to produce widgets. You assume production of 1000 widgets. The cost/price of Each widget Pays for the machine. You then produce 100 more widgets. Those widgets have no cost so you can sell them at any price you choose.

Accountants. One of the reasons the world is in trouble.
Edited by: "ccnp" 14th Jul
Yenyoc13/07/2020 23:37

That is very much not true e.g. …That is very much not true e.g. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9600K/3502vs4031

Pmsl, your comparing a chip 3 years newer, after intel increased core counts lol. Considering the age difference if you had bought that i7 at launch and got the 3 years extra use out of its probably better value than the newer i5 as there isn’t much difference in speed for gaming so will last as long as the i5 will but you got an extra 3 years out of it..

so when buying a new chip using that logic your still better off getting a new i7. When it gets old it will keep up with newer i5’s...
Bargainhead14/07/2020 06:12

Pmsl, your comparing a chip 3 years newer, after intel increased core …Pmsl, your comparing a chip 3 years newer, after intel increased core counts lol. Considering the age difference if you had bought that i7 at launch and got the 3 years extra use out of its probably better value than the newer i5 as there isn’t much difference in speed for gaming so will last as long as the i5 will but you got an extra 3 years out of it..so when buying a new chip using that logic your still better off getting a new i7. When it gets old it will keep up with newer i5’s...

Considering the op asked if newer i5's are faster than older i7's I thought it may be relevant to compare newer i5's to older i7's, but you urinate away
Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7/i9 are brands to denote the chip's position in the range relative to other models aimed at the same application (e.g. the same heat level). They're neither individual processor designs nor absolute labels on how powerful a chip is.

So an expensive but far from top of the range laptop you describe is using the second best branded CPUs out of the five or six offered. Perhaps the 5th best model out of 25 using that CPU design. You could spend money going up to the third best, but then you'd have to cut costs elsewhere.
Yenyoc14/07/2020 07:59

Considering the op asked if newer i5's are faster than older i7's I …Considering the op asked if newer i5's are faster than older i7's I thought it may be relevant to compare newer i5's to older i7's, but you urinate away

I think I made my point about the value of a 3 year old i7 compared to a newer i5. But you might not be able to work it out. Till the changed the core count in the i5 the op was correct. But looking at the difference the op would be stupid not to invest in the i7.. your a nice polite person saying urinate away. Are you a keyboard warrior or just abused as a child?
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 14th Jul
Bargainhead14/07/2020 10:51

I think I made my point about the value of a 3 year old i7 compared to a …I think I made my point about the value of a 3 year old i7 compared to a newer i5. But you might not be able to work it out. Till the changed the core count in the i5 the op was correct. But looking at the difference the op would be stupid not to invest in the i7.. your a nice polite person saying urinate away. Are you a keyboard warrior or just abused as a child?

I understand your point and didn't disagree with it. I simply answered the OP's question and corrected the absolute statement in first response.

And what if I was abused as a child, you think that's a nice polite thing to bring up? Gonna leave it here so we don't derail the thread. Let's all think before we speak
Post a comment
@
    Text