Processor upgrade guidance required- IT experts...

Found 23rd Jan 2009
Hi,

I have compaq presario 504ea..bought based on pointer frm here almost 2 years back..

It has AMD Turion TL -50 processor...

Earlier I upgraded RAm from 1 gb t0 2 gig..

Still I was not happy with the speed ..I do have a habit of running several appications and several windows open but do not use my laptop for gaming or demanding application.

I have now downgraded from Vista Home premium to xp pro and find the things have speeded up considerably and am happy for now..

Windows 7 beta is already released and I am still on xp pro bothers me..

I want to know to what extent I can upgrade my processor.Turion 64 X2 TL-50

I would imagine that I can upgrade it to TL58(1.9-GHz, 1-GB L2 cache)) as probably the bios supports it as per the user manual

And both AMD TL-50 & TL-58 both are S1 socket

Question is will it be worth it speding 40-50 odd quids on doing this???

Or I can even upgrade it to say TL 64...as that also has S1 socket...but is probably the more latest processor..And probably costs more than 100 quids cheapest anywhere I can find..

And in that case what happens about Bios supporting the processr??

Any pointers most welcome...

Reps added for all answers..

Ajay

1. Misc
  2. CPU
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. CPU
12 Comments

have a look on the motherboard manufacturers website for any BIOS updates, it may be that the best socket 1 processor available at the time was the TL58 but they've added support for newer ones since then. I wouldn't risk spending £100 on a processor thats not listed as being supported though.

I don't think it would really be worth it to be honest - you're not going to notice that much improvement from the clock speed increase and the laptop/bios/cooling may simply not be adequate for the faster (and likely hotter) CPU. There might be other areas though where you can gain a useful speed-up - what sort of software are you running, and what in particular do you find slow?

cpubenchmark.net/cpu…-58

TL58 gets a 686 while the TL50 gets a 519, thats not a huge performance jump but it'll be noticeable

chrishill;4161813

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Turion+64+X2+Mobile+TL-58TL58 gets a 686 while the TL50 gets a 519, thats not a huge performance jump but it'll be noticeable

Its pretty task specific though, like you say its not a huge jump and at very best you will see a ~25% speed improvement (but only doing things where the clock speed is the bottleneck). Many tasks on a laptop might, for instance, have a major bottleneck in the hard disc speed, and given the improvements in 2.5" HDD technology over the last couple of years that may actually be a more sensible place to look (again its very dependant on what the usage is...)

Personally, I'd take the chance and go to the TL-64. Preferably the 65nm version of it. The 90nm version should work perfectly with your system since it is the same chip as you currently have only capable of higher multiplier settings, but the 65nm version has the bonus of being smaller, taking less power, generating less heat, and maybe being slightly faster too.

I, for what it's worth, recently replaced my 65nm T5870 Core2Duo 1.8GHz chip with a 45nm T9300 2.5GHz chip. No complaints from my Vostro 1710 at all.

dxx;4162064

Personally, I'd take the chance and go to the TL-64. Preferably the 65nm … Personally, I'd take the chance and go to the TL-64. Preferably the 65nm version of it. The 90nm version should work perfectly with your system since it is the same chip as you currently have only capable of higher multiplier settings, but the 65nm version has the bonus of being smaller, taking less power, generating less heat, and maybe being slightly faster too. I, for what it's worth, recently replaced my 65nm T5870 Core2Duo 1.8GHz chip with a 45nm T9300 2.5GHz chip. No complaints from my Vostro 1710 at all.

Its a bit risky moving to a different process technology without knowing it will work - generally it will use a lower voltage which the motherboard might not be able to provide. I'd definately want to see it was supported before splashing out lots of cash...

Original Poster

Many thanks for your replies guys...( Rep added...)

So the safest bet seems to be spend 40 quids and get 25% increase... and go for a TL-58.. ( lowest price I can get)

As has been pointed out ; I could go for TL-64 ; things may not work at all

as I checked the only bios update which HP has issued which seems to cater for

Updates the fan control algorithm of the system to reduce the likelihood of future system issues.

Fixes issue where the touchpad scroll function does not work on some notebooks.

No enhanced processor support

So probably not worth spending 100 quids

unlesss someone can lend me a spare TL 64..:-D

Thanks again

cheers

Aj

ajaymp;4162441

Many thanks for your replies guys...( Rep added...)So the safest bet … Many thanks for your replies guys...( Rep added...)So the safest bet seems to be spend 40 quids and get 25% increase... and go for a TL-58.. ( lowest price I can get)....Aj

Yes, but also consider a HDD upgrade - you might find a similar boost in performance moving to a modern 7200rpm drive. Have a look at what your current drive is ]here and
compare to some of the other drives; a Samsung Spinpoint MP2/160GB can be had for less than £40, and will certainly offer a noticable boost! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thats a good suggestion so hopefully it will be sorted in less than 80 quids and will surely work..

I also notice that TL 58 gets 730 / 686( thats mobile version) and TL 58 gets 788...

So upgrading processor and changing the hard disk seems to be more sureshot option than spending money on TL-64 ..

Many thanks

Aj

jah128;4162584

Yes, but also consider a HDD upgrade - you might find a similar boost in … Yes, but also consider a HDD upgrade - you might find a similar boost in performance moving to a modern 7200rpm drive. Have a look at what your current drive is ]here andcompare to some of the other drives; a Samsung Spinpoint MP2/160GB can be had for less than £40, and will certainly offer a noticable boost! :thumbsup:

jah128;4162142

Its a bit risky moving to a different process technology without knowing … Its a bit risky moving to a different process technology without knowing it will work - generally it will use a lower voltage which the motherboard might not be able to provide. I'd definately want to see it was supported before splashing out lots of cash...

Looking at the table available on the Wikipedia though, the TL64 operates within the same voltage range of the TL 52, give or take 0.025v depending on whether it's at its highest or lowest frequency. Although, it's probably worth pointing out that the TL58 has the same core as the TL64, so if the TL58 works, the TL64 should too. And if not, isn't that what the distance selling act's cooling off period is for? :thumbsup:

dxx;4165402

Looking at the table available on the Wikipedia though, the TL64 operates … Looking at the table available on the Wikipedia though, the TL64 operates within the same voltage range of the TL 52, give or take 0.025v depending on whether it's at its highest or lowest frequency. Although, it's probably worth pointing out that the TL58 has the same core as the TL64, so if the TL58 works, the TL64 should too. And if not, isn't that what the distance selling act's cooling off period is for? :thumbsup:

Yeah, thats true, a bit surprising but it certainly is listed in same voltage range, and like you say DSR are a possible route if buying retail (although it will have had thermal compound put on it and some companies might not be happy about that). I think a TL58 + much faster hard disc will probably give the best overall boost for the money though...

Original Poster

Many thanks dxx and jah 128 for your continued interest...

cheers

Aj:-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person633
    2. What are the prices of supermarket counter pizzas?44
    3. Mobile phone advice55
    4. What is gearbest like on warranty?810

See more discussions