Projector advice.

Posted 8th May
I'm wanting one for my man cave (Gazebo)
Not looking to spend £hundreds of quid on one but I would like something I can plug a firestick into with HDMI input.
I've seen packages that come with a cheap fold up screen for around £40 but I imagine that would be total rubbish.
Anyone bought any recently for anywhere up to £100 that would do the job?
I'm a simple bloke with simple tastes so I really don't need a £500+ projector.
It's just going to be for the odd movie or playing a PS4 game on in the back garden.
I appreciate all your advice
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Especially for in the garden a £100 projector will not be good enough, you will need to spend atleast £300+
Arto08/05/2020 08:08

Especially for in the garden a £100 projector will not be good enough, you …Especially for in the garden a £100 projector will not be good enough, you will need to spend atleast £300+

It's going to be in a gazebo though.
It will have shade too as I've ordered a retractable awning which will surround the open areas of the Gazebo.
so will this gazebo be in the garden perment, is it waterproof and Will use it in the summer, and is it only gonna be used in day time
Pricklerickle08/05/2020 08:58

so will this gazebo be in the garden perment, is it waterproof and Will …so will this gazebo be in the garden perment, is it waterproof and Will use it in the summer, and is it only gonna be used in day time

It is permanent.
It does have a roof and will have walls to the side I hope to have the screen on.
It will be used in the summer and hopefully winter too 😬.
I've a retractable awning that should provide a lot of shade for viewing when it's light outside.
But it will definitely be used in the evenings.
Edited by: "1616french" 8th May
Arto08/05/2020 08:08

Especially for in the garden a £100 projector will not be good enough, you …Especially for in the garden a £100 projector will not be good enough, you will need to spend atleast £300+

I agree with you, regardless of the location of the projector if you go from gaming and movies on a LCD TV to a 100 quid projector it's a huge downgrade.

OP if you're happy to downgrade so you can be alone in your man cave more power to you.

Personally I would spend more or get a cheap telly. Bulbs burn out on projectors and cheap ones don't sell replacements.
mogsog08/05/2020 09:53

I agree with you, regardless of the location of the projector if you go …I agree with you, regardless of the location of the projector if you go from gaming and movies on a LCD TV to a 100 quid projector it's a huge downgrade.OP if you're happy to downgrade so you can be alone in your man cave more power to you. Personally I would spend more or get a cheap telly. Bulbs burn out on projectors and cheap ones don't sell replacements.

They also tend to be very dim and very blurry no matter how much you tinker with them
Same way you can’t get a decent telly for £100, same applies for projector. Are some chinese ones though on Aliexpress. Of course you’ll also need some speakers as sound will be nonexistant/abismal.

If you can find screen and projector under £100 you’ll just be disappointed and never use it
Edited by: "Sam223" 8th May
Sam22308/05/2020 09:58

Same way you can’t get a decent telly for £100, same applies for pr …Same way you can’t get a decent telly for £100, same applies for projector. Are some chinese ones though on Aliexpress. Of course you’ll also need some speakers as sound will be nonexistant/abismal. If you can find screen and projector under £100 you’ll just be disappointed and never use it

Was thinking of a TV but would sooner have something portable for obvious reasons.
I've found one on here that is £140 but I'd still need a projector screen.
Sam22308/05/2020 09:58

Same way you can’t get a decent telly for £100, same applies for pr …Same way you can’t get a decent telly for £100, same applies for projector. Are some chinese ones though on Aliexpress. Of course you’ll also need some speakers as sound will be nonexistant/abismal. If you can find screen and projector under £100 you’ll just be disappointed and never use it

hotukdeals.com/dea…184
How 'bout a VR headset? Projectors aren't brilliant for gaming due to input lag. I'd probably get a quest or something. Can stream PS games (although not in vr)
1616french08/05/2020 10:05

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vankyo-performance-v600-native-1080p-led-projector-3457184

By the time you've got the projector screen you're looking at a shade off 200, at that price you could start thinking about 32" gaming monitor. Perhaps even a 2k / 4k one. Thin and light easy to slip away inside somewhere.
1616french08/05/2020 10:05

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vankyo-performance-v600-native-1080p-led-projector-3457184

Yeah not bad, higher lumens the better. Have a look on gumtree/facebook/shpock/ebay for people selling screens- could get a bargain.
I bought this from Amazon, it's pretty decent but would be no good (as I'm sure most at this price would be) in the daytime, you need it to be pretty dim/dark to get the best effect:

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions