Found 30th Jan
Hi all

The Mrs has finally given the go ahead for a home cinema.

What I am trying to find out is whether i should get a 1080p full hd projector or would it be worth getting a 1080p-4K upscaling projector (if one exists). I currently don't have a 4K capable source so upscaling would be only option at this time.

What I am after is a picture that is immersive and that is the best you can get detail wise from a 1080p source.

I may in the future upgrade to a PS4 pro so 4K source is an option, however currently both films and source machine is 1080p.

Not selected a screen yet but likely to be 120" maybe larger. Throw will be about 2.5-3 m. I would also prefer led to bulb.

Your suggestions and help are appreciated.

1. Ask
  2. Projector
13 Comments

You wont find a true 4k projector for under £5,000.

Original Poster

thecoolguy

You wont find a true 4k projector for under £5,000.

I know thanks. I am probably after a 1080p projector.

Although I've never seen a 4k projector, I've got an 8 foot screen, blu-ray and full HD projector and it's jaw-droppingly stunning. Not sure what size your screen is and the length of your room but I had limitations when buying a projector that would 'throw' the correct size of image for your screen, i.e. you may not be able to fill your screen with the projector image or even focus correctly if it is too close to the screen. Several projectors I was researching had to be 8 meters or more away from the screen so bear this in mind.
Great info here on that...
Link
... supplies throw calculators etc.
Apparently 3D is on it's way out according to the BBC, 3D TV manufacturers are discontinuing the technology! That may sway your decision on projector choice too.
I know this isn't part of the question, but don't get some great visual gear and cheat on the cheese when it comes to sound. If you are anywhere near a Richer Sounds shop, they are great for a bit of advice IMHO on both subjects.

Home cinema is not practical unless you are willing to really focus in watch video.
requires darker room, bad for eyes if you wants to browse mobiles/tablets while watching video.
usually comes with unbearable heat and fan noise.
because the machine will be closer to the audience than the screen/audio source.
unless you hang it on the ceiling.

I've had a Epson 8350 in 2011, watched for probably less than 100 hours in total.
Such a waste of money and space.

chenzz

Home cinema is not practical unless you are willing to really focus in … Home cinema is not practical unless you are willing to really focus in watch video.requires darker room, bad for eyes if you wants to browse mobiles/tablets while watching video.usually comes with unbearable heat and fan noise.because the machine will be closer to the audience than the screen/audio source.unless you hang it on the ceiling.I've had a Epson 8350 in 2011, watched for probably less than 100 hours in total.Such a waste of money and space.

A 65 inches/75 inches 4k TV would be a so much better option.

Whats your budget like? Do you already have a good audio setup?

chenzz

Home cinema is not practical unless you are willing to really focus in … Home cinema is not practical unless you are willing to really focus in watch video.requires darker room, bad for eyes if you wants to browse mobiles/tablets while watching video.usually comes with unbearable heat and fan noise.because the machine will be closer to the audience than the screen/audio source.unless you hang it on the ceiling.I've had a Epson 8350 in 2011, watched for probably less than 100 hours in total.Such a waste of money and space.

​I bought my first projector in 2008 while I was still living at home and it did make my bedroom warm but it was far from unbearable and the fan barely ever kicked in, I bought my own house 5-6 years ago and put the projector up and then upgraded 2-3 years ago. My current projector is silent and doesn't make a difference to the room temperature, the only time it makes any noise is when you turn it off. There seems to be a lot of scaremongering on this site regarding projectors for some reason, maybe people had bad experiences in the past but the technology like in all things has progressed a lot. I would say however only do it if you're going to do it properly, mine is ceiling mounted with a 84" electric screen and a Denon AVR handling the inputs / outputs to both my TV and projector. I have a Sony 4k TV and it only ever gets used for films if they're 4k, the projector may not be as good quality (full HD) but it's a different experience. Also I can watch my projector any time I want, just close my blinds, dim or turn off my lights and it's fine, no need for a pitch black room, this is helped by the fact I have a grey screen instead of white.
Edited by: "bp2411" 30th Jan

Original Poster

herbertsimpson

Although I've never seen a 4k projector, I've got an 8 foot screen, … Although I've never seen a 4k projector, I've got an 8 foot screen, blu-ray and full HD projector and it's jaw-droppingly stunning. Not sure what size your screen is and the length of your room but I had limitations when buying a projector that would 'throw' the correct size of image for your screen, i.e. you may not be able to fill your screen with the projector image or even focus correctly if it is too close to the screen. Several projectors I was researching had to be 8 meters or more away from the screen so bear this in mind. Great info here on that...Link... supplies throw calculators etc.Apparently 3D is on it's way out according to the BBC, 3D TV manufacturers are discontinuing the technology! That may sway your decision on projector choice too.I know this isn't part of the question, but don't get some great visual gear and cheat on the cheese when it comes to sound. If you are anywhere near a Richer Sounds shop, they are great for a bit of advice IMHO on both subjects.

Hi thanks for your reply. I am probably going for a 100" silver ticket screen. The throw I believe is 1.1:1 so hopefully should be able to find a normal throw projector. I already have a decent surround sound system but will be upgrading to atmos in the future.

Original Poster

chenzz

Projector will be behind us on the wall.

Original Poster

thecoolguy

Whats your budget like? Do you already have a good audio setup?

I have a decent audio setup. But will be upgrading that in the future to a Dolby atmos setup. Projector probably about £1k and the screen we are hopefully getting a silver ticket 16:9 100" screen. Room will also be completely blacked out which is a bonus.

Original Poster

bp2411

​I bought my first projector in 2008 while I was still living at home and … ​I bought my first projector in 2008 while I was still living at home and it did make my bedroom warm but it was far from unbearable and the fan barely ever kicked in, I bought my own house 5-6 years ago and put the projector up and then upgraded 2-3 years ago. My current projector is silent and doesn't make a difference to the room temperature, the only time it makes any noise is when you turn it off. There seems to be a lot of scaremongering on this site regarding projectors for some reason, maybe people had bad experiences in the past but the technology like in all things has progressed a lot. I would say however only do it if you're going to do it properly, mine is ceiling mounted with a 84" electric screen and a Denon AVR handling the inputs / outputs to both my TV and projector. I have a Sony 4k TV and it only ever gets used for films if they're 4k, the projector may not be as good quality (full HD) but it's a different experience. Also I can watch my projector any time I want, just close my blinds, dim or turn off my lights and it's fine, no need for a pitch black room, this is helped by the fact I have a grey screen instead of white.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully we are getting a 100" silver ticket fixed screen. The projector will be mounted behind us above our heads on a wall shelf. It's just finding one as it is borderline short throw / normal throw.

chenzz

Some good points to take note of there so do the right thing, don't do it half hearted.
I have a dedicated room darkened. It is always setup ready to go so it is not a chore to watch a film. If you have to start setting things up and moving stuff around every time you'll get fed up with it.
Mine is ceiling mounted and the fan is silent. Again, when you turn it off the fan kicks in for 30 seconds or so. Probably worth checking out decibels in the spec just in case. Perhaps the fan will come on if you like the room toastie... I'm not sure.
Never had an issue with heat, maybe if you used a small bedroom there might be a raise in temperature?
I use the cinema room at least once a week, sometimes two to three and have been for the last 11 years so my setup is not a waste of money for me, I love it.
I moved the center ceiling light and introduced floor lighting and side lighting. This cost me about £40 in total so not expensive and what you should think about is having the lighting on remote so you can turn off/on/dim the lighting without fumbling around in the dark and getting up and down off your chair. I also have a one for all remote that lights up when you press any buttons and that's definitely a must. This is not laziness, just very practical.

Good luck with the set-up.

Edited by: "herbertsimpson" 31st Jan

Original Poster

herbertsimpson

Some good points to take note of there so do the right thing, don't do it … Some good points to take note of there so do the right thing, don't do it half hearted.I have a dedicated room darkened. It is always setup ready to go so it is not a chore to watch a film. If you have to start setting things up and moving stuff around every time you'll get fed up with it. Mine is ceiling mounted and the fan is silent. Again, when you turn it off the fan kicks in for 30 seconds or so. Probably worth checking out decibels in the spec just in case. Perhaps the fan will come on if you like the room toastie... I'm not sure.Never had an issue with heat, maybe if you used a small bedroom there might be a raise in temperature?I use the cinema room at least once a week, sometimes two to three and have been for the last 11 years so my setup is not a waste of money for me, I love it.I moved the center ceiling light and introduced floor lighting and side lighting. This cost me about £40 in total so not expensive and what you should think about is having the lighting on remote so you can turn off/on/dim the lighting without fumbling around in the dark and getting up and down off your chair. I also have a one for all remote that lights up when you press any buttons and that's definitely a must. This is not laziness, just very practical.Good luck with the set-up.

Planning on a full setup tbh. Room will be completely blacked out. Replacing lights with Philips hue spots. Found the screen just need to find the projector then get started on decorating etc. Planning on a benq w3000 maybe unless I find a better projector for decent money. Everything will be controlled by a harmony hub and Amazon echo using ifttt obviously things will probably change but that's the preliminary plan.
Edited by: "barrel24" 31st Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Computer upgrades67
    2. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold77
    3. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?89
    4. Travelling from London Stadium after an event22
    5. 2 for 1 code22

See more discussions