Found 30th Aug 2007
Hey all,

I am thinking of buying a projector to hook up to my PC and play movies off (mainly DVDs, although poss some VCDs too). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this, and where i could get some good deals.
I know very little about these, but i can say that where i put it i should have control over the ambient light, so can ensure that it is dark.

Thanks a lot in advance.

1. Ask
  2. Projector
14 Comments

df

The cheapest that you'll get is here:

ebuyer.com/UK/…b/0

It's £234.99 delivered and should be good for an 8ft screen!

The downside of this projector is that you'd have to connect your laptop via S-video and it's only SVGA resolution, e.g. 800x600.

However, it's reasonably bright, received good reviews and is quite compact. It'll be absolutely fine for watching movies with, but it all depends on what you want of a projector.

I have a projector, which I bought on a whim, and after getting it I now realise that there are many complex things you've got to consider to make the most out of the projector.

Basically, you *can* plop your projector down anywhere and point it at a blank wall, which is what I do and I really enjoy it. I can play my xbox 360 through it on a 6ft screen and it looks great.

however...

Projectors are noisy and hot. So you really need a sound system to crank the volume up. Laptop speakers might not give you satisfactory results. I put my audio through a pair of powered PC speakers and it's okay, so you don't have to break the bank.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is the 'throw' of the projector. This is basically how big the image will be at a given distance from the screen.

All projectors have some variance in their zoom, so you can change how big the image is, but you have to make sure that your room is large enough and the projector has short enough of a throw to get a decent sized image, and not too big an image.

You can calculate the projector throw size at [url]www.projectorcentral.com[/url].

It depends on whether you want to deploy your projector permanently like a home cinema system, or whether you're happy just connecting it up on the fly.

If the latter is the case, then you could do worse than the projector I suggested.

If you have different requirements then let me know and I'll see what I can suggest.

p.s. You might also want to consider the projector screen to get the optimum image, although as I said I project onto a beige wall and it looks just fine! In fact, our neighbours house is white, and sometimes when they're out, I project gears of war on the side of their building....buuwahahaa! 45ft screen! Brightness loses out at this size a little and roughcast is hell on the colour repro, but in general quite playable...just a shame the other neighbours can see when I'm getting caned...

Hi,

I was in the same boat, looking for cheap projector, I looked into it (wouldn't buy off ebay cheap cheap projector copy from japan.
Best advised would be use AVFORUM and search here. They give great advise. More than I could explain.

Hope this helps a little

Original Poster

Thanks a lot thekanester! This is almost exactly what i was looking for. Since i'm actually gonna connect it to a desktop, i have a speaker system already, so sound shouldnt be a problem.
I will just be putting it down randomly so i hope the throw distance shouldnt be a problem. My only question is, what does the fact that it only works in 800x600 actually mean (in terms of the effect on the picture)? Does it just mean that the picture is slightly more pixelated, so we should sit further away?

Well, basically it means that there are only 800x600 pixels, so you wouldn't be able to do hi-def, if that's important to you.

Also, operating a laptop, in general at 800x600 isn't fun.

I have my image set to around 6ft diagonal, and I'm sitting 10-12ft away and you can't notice individual pixels. I'm more likely to notice the macroblocks n the digital tv though.

I spent around £300 on my projector, and it's worth every penny. The brightness on mine is around half of what yours is, and I can watch mine with the lights on, so you should be okay with 1500lumens.

Be aware however that the bulb will last around 2000-3000 hours, after which, you might as well through the projector away, since the bulb tends to be more expensive than the actual projector!

However, I've used my projector for around 6 months now, and I'm not even at 100 hours. I don't watch regular telly with it, since it takes effort to deploy it, but if you keep it for special it should last as long as a plasma TV, and be a fraction of the price.

You won't look back once you have one...but you'll cover bigger and brighter models!

I would recommend looking on [URL="www.avforums.com"]AVForums[/URL] and [URL="www.avsforum.com"]AVSForums[/URL], as mentioned above. They're very helpful

I got myself an Infocus PlayBig IN72 a couple of months ago, and I absolutely love it! Worth checking out, as it seems to be consistently reviewed as a great 'first projector'. I paid £270 for mine on a particularly good second-hand deal (was barely used).

Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all the info, was now just wondering if anyone knew a particularly good deal for a projector with 1024x768 res. Thanks (Oh, and i dont think i can rep thekanester enough...)

just so u know .. i bought 1 of them ebay projectors purley for the reason the bulbs last 2000+ hours and are around £20 to replace

dpeneding on what u are gonna use it for .... if its just movies or a xbox id suggest 1 of the ebay ones.. purley brecause its a good picture + bulbs are aroun £20 aposed to the £200+ ones for branded models

I've been following those projectors on the forums and for what it is, it seems fine. At one time, you could pick those suckers up for around £170. Not great res (640x480) and not great brightness or build quality, but perfectly capable of viewing a movie on for cheap!

Can't really compete with a modern, commercial one in terms of size, build quality etc. though, but certainly worth considering if you want to project 24/7.

Original Poster

Thanks - I'll look into that. Sry to keep changing the parameters, but I've been speaking to a friend who has a Wii, and was wondering whether there would be any problems setting this up (with either the ebay ones, or the others) in terms of resolution, because i believe that a wii is 480p.
Can the projectors use progressive rather than interlaced.

that's a great topic. Im also looking for one.
So what would You suggest that has got bit better resolution?? I would be running it of the laptop so at least 1024x768 would be nice.

dfhansen

Thanks - I'll look into that. Sry to keep changing the parameters, but … Thanks - I'll look into that. Sry to keep changing the parameters, but I've been speaking to a friend who has a Wii, and was wondering whether there would be any problems setting this up (with either the ebay ones, or the others) in terms of resolution, because i believe that a wii is 480p.Can the projectors use progressive rather than interlaced.

Mostly they should be fine, as they just rescale.

I play the wii through mine (the inFocus IN72), which has a native resolution of close to 854x480, and it looks just fine (as does my Xbox360 and PC for films)

dfhansen

Thanks - I'll look into that. Sry to keep changing the parameters, but … Thanks - I'll look into that. Sry to keep changing the parameters, but I've been speaking to a friend who has a Wii, and was wondering whether there would be any problems setting this up (with either the ebay ones, or the others) in terms of resolution, because i believe that a wii is 480p.Can the projectors use progressive rather than interlaced.

The Wii is 480p over component, but 576i over scart/rca, but I believe most decent projectors will deinterlace an image for you anyway these days, so you don't get the interlace tearing with moving images. I've used my Wii over the projector via RCA (not component), and except with the problem that my sensor bar was still on top of my telly, everything worked perfectly. Looked good too!

Note that if you're using a Wii with a projector, it might be hard to setup the sensor bar, so you can use one of these wireless ones, which are very cheap. Here's the link:

dealextreme.com/det…389

thekanester

Qbazdz

that's a great topic. Im also looking for one.So what would You suggest … that's a great topic. Im also looking for one.So what would You suggest that has got bit better resolution?? I would be running it of the laptop so at least 1024x768 would be nice.

You pay a little more these days for a 1024x768 projector. At £400, the Infocus IN26+ is cheap and gets good reviews. Do a google search to see if you can get it any cheaper, but I find ebuyer very cheap for this sort of thing, and hard to beat:

ebuyer.com/UK/…041

Some people prefer LCD projectors over DLP ones, since they find the 'rainbow effect' of these a little off-putting, so you can try this:

ebuyer.com/UK/…946

£20 more expensive, but a good one, and Epson quite often have cheaper bulbs than most other PJ manufacturers, so it's certainly worth considering.

thekanester

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice all. I've decided I'll prob go for a BenQ W100 - since to be a fairly cheap projector with decent specs, and is still in production (always nice).

Was wondering if anyone knew a particularly cheap place to buy one - both ebuyer and dabs have them for about £350 (including delivery), so i'll prob get it from dabs unless anyone has a better place - one concern is that dabs dont seem to mention if there is a warrenty... Do they?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Camera lens55
    2. amazon echo idiots guide56
    3. Whey protien625
    4. Anyone used/heard of the website "Venture Direct"?1518

See more discussions