Projectors: Optoma UHD40 vs BenQ W2700

Posted 5th Jul 2019
I have an opportunity for a small cinema room. Projector would be ceiling mounted above the viewers about 2.5m from screen.
W2700 throw 1.13
UHD40 throw 1.21

How big should I go with the screen (viewing UHD movie material) and which would provide that screen size?
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
mtsk05/07/2019 09:45

you are being …you are being lazy.https://www.optoma.co.uk/projector-distance-calculator/uhd40https://projectorcalculator.benq.com/

Thanks.

Any recommendations for how big I should go with that viewing distance?
I'd look at optoma units, the bulbs tend to be priced fairly amongst the industry if a replacement is needed, also good uk customer service, they've been in the same location for years, pick up the phone & talk to you! ..old school service.
Mr_Gus05/07/2019 10:27

I'd look at optoma units, the bulbs tend to be priced fairly amongst the …I'd look at optoma units, the bulbs tend to be priced fairly amongst the industry if a replacement is needed, also good uk customer service, they've been in the same location for years, pick up the phone & talk to you! ..old school service.

Thanks, do you have projector yourself?
Mr_Gus05/07/2019 11:51

5 or 6, yes.

LOL. Any thoughts on screen size for UHD material at 2.5m viewing distance?
Everything hinges on getting a suitably dark room in the first instance.
I don't ever want to be sitting under the projector (heat & noise) so for me its always back of the room placement.

A cheap mount will be sub-par, the claimed weight holding will be BS if you are having it upside down to access functions beyond that of the remote control.

take a tape measure & get some perspective in room as to potential units, its your eyes that will be deciding. ask for the price of replacement bulbs to be crystal clear before you arrive for a demo rather than "I think".

Hear the units in energy saving high altitude mode (noisier) ..& factor in the ventilation in your cinema room.

Fan noise, heat generation & subsequent placement may be factors as to screen size you choose to live with, i'm a big fan of bigger the screen the better so not entirely subjective..

A good projector is great, but don't knock the cheapies available these days, fun for late night outdoor films with a jerry-rigged cheap screen, cheapies are also good for hallowindows & floating phantasm FX (halloween)

I use a motorised screen (ceiling mounted) for the main room, as i'm film watcher not an AV "beard stroker" & the screen is put away so it doesn't get sprayed with beer / hand prints, knocked into etc.

save time & ask a seller having emailed them dims & shape of your room, the wall / floor construction etc in case you are set on putting speakers in & can therefore plan away some of the resonance furniture, form & fittings may create.
Mr_Gus05/07/2019 13:58

Everything hinges on getting a suitably dark room in the first instance.I …Everything hinges on getting a suitably dark room in the first instance.I don't ever want to be sitting under the projector (heat & noise) so for me its always back of the room placement.A cheap mount will be sub-par, the claimed weight holding will be BS if you are having it upside down to access functions beyond that of the remote control. take a tape measure & get some perspective in room as to potential units, its your eyes that will be deciding. ask for the price of replacement bulbs to be crystal clear before you arrive for a demo rather than "I think".Hear the units in energy saving high altitude mode (noisier) ..& factor in the ventilation in your cinema room.Fan noise, heat generation & subsequent placement may be factors as to screen size you choose to live with, i'm a big fan of bigger the screen the better so not entirely subjective..A good projector is great, but don't knock the cheapies available these days, fun for late night outdoor films with a jerry-rigged cheap screen, cheapies are also good for hallowindows & floating phantasm FX (halloween)I use a motorised screen (ceiling mounted) for the main room, as i'm film watcher not an AV "beard stroker" & the screen is put away so it doesn't get sprayed with beer / hand prints, knocked into etc.save time & ask a seller having emailed them dims & shape of your room, the wall / floor construction etc in case you are set on putting speakers in & can therefore plan away some of the resonance furniture, form & fittings may create.

Thank you, solid info.

Room has a single window which will be blacked out.

Unfortunately it’s only a small room so I will be under the ceiling mounted projector, I’ll check the noise levels, hopefully due to the blacked out room and short throw distance I can get away with the eco modes and still have enough light.

The primary purpose of the room is a TV-less ‘snug’ so everything needs to hide when not in movie mode. For this reason I was looking at Kef T205 speakers behind printed fabric box art and an acoustically transparent electric screen.

Sounds like fan noise is now my biggest concern.
Fan noise is always a problem, though listening will dispel a lot of concern as it will likely be drowned out mostly by audio, however, they also pump heat out, which can lead from noticing one to the other.
But for quiet scenes, of course, depending upon your level of immersion it might be an issue, I tend to run with fan on high to keep the bulb as cool as possible, that's my preference.

likely you will stagger your purchases & build a system (unless minted).

Those speakers have zero volume in terms of litres to move air & convey sound via the drive units push / pull, fashionably thin though.
Wildman05/07/2019 12:14

LOL. Any thoughts on screen size for UHD material at 2.5m viewing distance?

Please go and see one in person both of these are DLP projectors and if you are prone to seeing the rainbow effect I would pay more for an LCD projector but the effect I see when watching a moving scene is everybody is outlined in rainbows
Dannyrobbo05/07/2019 15:55

Please go and see one in person both of these are DLP projectors and if …Please go and see one in person both of these are DLP projectors and if you are prone to seeing the rainbow effect I would pay more for an LCD projector but the effect I see when watching a moving scene is everybody is outlined in rainbows

Any UHD LCDs you’d recommend? I can only see these two models being recommended in this price bracket. I could increase budget if it’s still good value
Mr_Gus05/07/2019 15:30

Fan noise is always a problem, though listening will dispel a lot of …Fan noise is always a problem, though listening will dispel a lot of concern as it will likely be drowned out mostly by audio, however, they also pump heat out, which can lead from noticing one to the other.But for quiet scenes, of course, depending upon your level of immersion it might be an issue, I tend to run with fan on high to keep the bulb as cool as possible, that's my preference.likely you will stagger your purchases & build a system (unless minted).Those speakers have zero volume in terms of litres to move air & convey sound via the drive units push / pull, fashionably thin though.

I know the speakers won’t be big air shifters but I’d had to compromise with the powers that be.

How do you ventilate your room?
Wildman05/07/2019 17:09

Any UHD LCDs you’d recommend? I can only see these two models being r …Any UHD LCDs you’d recommend? I can only see these two models being recommended in this price bracket. I could increase budget if it’s still good value

I was given a projector full hd one which is DLP so unfortunately I can’t recommend , it does the job but I can see the effect really badly so I would only recommend you try them before you buy it in case you are the same. I had a quick google for lcd ones so maybe read some reviews of this??

Link
I tend to watch in different rooms according to season.

Autumn / Winter is living room with the woodburner (other seasons it is affected by our bay window being too bright), & we often watch as a family anyhow.

We have Air Source Heat Pump to multiple rooms, so you can pre-chill / pre warm & have it ticking over quietly.

Other set ups are bedrooms.

there will soon be a permanent set up for summer outside (we are pretty shaded by tree's) ..when I can get it sorted, but outside is where it doesn't matter if the quality is a bit iffy, ..escaping heat & chilling in evening cool with neighbours out the front.
Mr_Gus05/07/2019 19:27

I tend to watch in different rooms according to season. Autumn / Winter is …I tend to watch in different rooms according to season. Autumn / Winter is living room with the woodburner (other seasons it is affected by our bay window being too bright), & we often watch as a family anyhow.We have Air Source Heat Pump to multiple rooms, so you can pre-chill / pre warm & have it ticking over quietly.Other set ups are bedrooms.there will soon be a permanent set up for summer outside (we are pretty shaded by tree's) ..when I can get it sorted, but outside is where it doesn't matter if the quality is a bit iffy, ..escaping heat & chilling in evening cool with neighbours out the front.

Quiet cooling solution then. I think I need to go for the BenQ due to the throw distance so I’ll check if it’s noise and heat is feasible
Dannyrobbo05/07/2019 18:41

I was given a projector full hd one which is DLP so unfortunately I can’t r …I was given a projector full hd one which is DLP so unfortunately I can’t recommend , it does the job but I can see the effect really badly so I would only recommend you try them before you buy it in case you are the same. I had a quick google for lcd ones so maybe read some reviews of this?? Link

At 2.5m it looks like it would give an 80 odd inch screen. I’ll check for rainbow effect when testing. Thanks
My ears are very sensitive to sound, don't read into it too much, its just something to be aware of with fan noise, but one mans quiet is another mans sleepless night
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants