Groups

Property boundary question

Banned
    Just recently bought a brand new house and the garage roof of the plot next door overhangs on to our garden by a foot or so.

Now the garage was there before we signed for the house so we had chance to mention it before but we were caught up in the new home excitement. As they are now building the house next door (not sure why the garage was up first) would they move the garage if we asked or do we have to accept the situation as it is?

The garage side wall runs along side our back garden so that's why the roof overhangs, it is definitely on our side of the boundary.

20 Comments

does the roof obstruct your garden in anyway... is it a major problem?

it's like if a tree branch hangs into your garden are you legally allowed to cut it back??

I think you might struggle with these new housing developments. The reason i say that about 10 years ago we argued with developers cant quite remember why to be honest but something to do with the garden. After putting our point forward they said our fence should be moved inwards so making garden smaller. It turned out the fence was not quite in the right place according to boundary plans. So be very careful. Otherwise you may find you loose ground. In the end we just backed down and they left the fence where it was. Good luck though its typical of developers these days.

You really need to raise this as soon as possible. i had a similar problem when installing a conservatory. If it over hangs then it is illegal under civil law.

Confirm your boundary before tackling them about the overhang of the garage roof.

show us a picture it would give us a better idea plus check your land perimeter register i think its called ours shows our property completely outlined and then the neighbours all round it

Original Poster Banned

whatsThePoint;7897786

If you just want it gone because it overhangs your garden i'm glad you … If you just want it gone because it overhangs your garden i'm glad you don't live next to me

Nobody lives next to us that way, that's why I'm bringing it up now, so no individuals get caught up in it.

It absolutely hangs over our property, we can see clearly the edge of our property. I'll try a picture soon!

The developers have been really good so far with everything so I have no problem with bringing it up with them, I just wondered what the official stance is before I tackle the subject with them.

Original Poster Banned

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/masterchief101/IMAG0053.jpg[/IMG]

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/masterchief101/IMAG0052.jpg

no i dont think this is right i would go see them as any issues that could arise with damage to that part of their garage is clearly going to be over your side and could interfere with workers builders anything and lots sorry hope that makes sense they would need access through your property to maintain/repair theirs!

Banned

new builds suck, went over mates new house last night I tripped going up the stairs, put my hand out against the wall and almost fell through to the next room. On the other hand my house is built proper I can hit and punch all the doors and walls without even a dent, the plaster is a different story.

Original Poster Banned

lumoruk;7900542

new builds suck, went over mates new house last night I tripped going up … new builds suck, went over mates new house last night I tripped going up the stairs, put my hand out against the wall and almost fell through to the next room. On the other hand my house is built proper I can hit and punch all the doors and walls without even a dent, the plaster is a different story.

House is fairly solid thankfully, I know what you mean about new builds though, I've seen a few cardboard types in my time.

wulshaz;7900402

no i dont think this is right i would go see them as any issues that … no i dont think this is right i would go see them as any issues that could arise with damage to that part of their garage is clearly going to be over your side and could interfere with workers builders anything and lots sorry hope that makes sense they would need access through your property to maintain/repair theirs!

I agree it doesn't look right - I thought there had to be at least 6 inches between the wall and the boundary (I'm sure a builder mentioned that to me once). Boundary outlines on plots can be very vague and not to scale - I'd have a word with the developer/sales office....

yeh there is a space limit as when we went to add on a conservatory we were reminded of this so the conservatory had to be moved further over

Problem is that if the boundary of the plot is not properly defined, the developer will just take the easy option of moving the fence - its cheaper than moving the garage.....

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass;7901101

Built by David Wilson Homes yeah?TBH I think you're been fussy, can't see … Built by David Wilson Homes yeah?TBH I think you're been fussy, can't see that little overhang affecting you.

You know your home builders!

It's not keeping me up at night no but if it can be corrected then now is the time to bring it up. They're building the house next door now so there'll be someone living there in a few months.

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass;7901295

My dads lived in one for two years I recognised those balconys, we've had … My dads lived in one for two years I recognised those balconys, we've had a fair bit of trouble with them, eg. they forgot to connect the waste pipe on the shower so a full showers worth of water went through the floor all over the living room, had a few other problems to, they sorted them all but has taken a while, locks on patio doors have broken 3 times, front door lock broken once, apart from that it's been ok.

We've been fortunate so far, only minor issues which they've dealt with promptly. The builders are still around so I only have to collar the site manager when he's passing and he gets someone on it right away. Out of all the houses we looked at around the development from Barratt, Beal, Persimmon and Wimpey, David Wilson were the best and not really much more expensive.

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass;7901369

We also have a Wimpey house aswell, they were fine, but that's like 14 … We also have a Wimpey house aswell, they were fine, but that's like 14 years old now. Buildings stopped on ours, some houses are just empty shells, luckily at the back of the estate away from ours.

Yeah Wimpey's looked nice to be honest but they had sold out of 3 bed houses so couldn't get one anyway.

Its not so much the overhang but the height of the construction I'd be worried about - it seems to be blocking out a lot of your light. Thought there was a 2m height restriction on planning & development? Sure its something like that........

You will have problems when the gutter gets blocked as they will not be able to clean it...

Will make a nice waterfall for you but will kill your lawn off.. but it looks worse for wear already

Original Poster Banned

Johnboy_1975;7901395

Its not so much the overhang but the height of the construction I'd be … Its not so much the overhang but the height of the construction I'd be worried about - it seems to be blocking out a lot of your light. Thought there was a 2m height restriction on planning & development? Sure its something like that........

Yes they are ridiculously large garages, all the large detached houses round here have them. Not much we can do about the size as it's the developers who have built it.

Original Poster Banned

DAMNOME;7901410

You will have problems when the gutter gets blocked as they will not be … You will have problems when the gutter gets blocked as they will not be able to clean it...Will make a nice waterfall for you but will kill your lawn off.. but it looks worse for wear already

Yeah the lawn took a hammering as it was freshly turfed in September, we moved in end of November then the snow came...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ap on iPhone ios1133
      2. Hatchimals on Ebay - are they fake?11
      3. Ditched Sky1113
      4. Tough Doggy Ball Recommendations, Please?914

See more discussions