pros and cons of buying a 4yr old plasma tv?

Found 16th Dec 2011
thinking of buying a plasma tv (advertised on hukd for sale/trade section).
problem is its about four years old so i'm wondering if its likely to conk out on me?

Any comments?

31 Comments

Four year old might see inappropriate adult programmes.

anewman

Four year old might see inappropriate adult programmes.

i think he means the tv what is 4 years old, not buying for a 4 year old

pros
its probably cheaper

cons
its 4 years old.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/for-sale-trade/panasonic-th-42px7b-42-plasma-tv-for-sale-1091487

this one? isnt it sold?

Original Poster

LOL @ the above.

Some funny comments.

Original Poster

plumberman01

http://www.hotukdeals.com/for-sale-trade/panasonic-th-42px7b-42-plasma-tv-for-sale-1091487this one? isnt it sold?

Not confirmed but I'd buy it at £150. Just worried about Plasma burn or the TV just conking out.

I bought a 4 year old Panasonic plasma once, it was ok, had a slight bit of screen burn from the news channels but then I died and went to an alternate earth.

Mallinersha

I bought a 4 year old Panasonic plasma once, it was ok, had a slight bit … I bought a 4 year old Panasonic plasma once, it was ok, had a slight bit of screen burn from the news channels but then I died and went to an alternate earth.

see op, nothing to worry about (_;)

Original Poster

Mallinersha

I bought a 4 year old Panasonic plasma once, it was ok, had a slight bit … I bought a 4 year old Panasonic plasma once, it was ok, had a slight bit of screen burn from the news channels but then I died and went to an alternate earth.

yeah I can see by your picture... good for you, hope you stay there!

shuwaz

have you checked the sellers ebay feedback etc?

shuwaz

Too late, came back the moment you posted this thread - Plasma still working ok too.

our LCD is about 5yrs old or more and still as good as new..just a little dated now. Depends cos you can get a new one and it can go faulty?

Original Poster

Mallinersha

Too late, came back the moment you posted this thread - Plasma still … Too late, came back the moment you posted this thread - Plasma still working ok too.

Daaaamn it! You crazy fool, i'm gonna go by you're experience for this one.

Banned

tvs are so cheap now. u can get a decent 40 inch sony for 350 after cashback

Original Poster

kylewalker

have you checked the sellers ebay feedback etc?

Yeah but it's not about the trustworthiness of the seller, its more about the reliability of plasma TVs. LCD/LED seem to be everywhere so its as if plasma are crap or something?

Original Poster

Elton Chong

tvs are so cheap now. u can get a decent 40 inch sony for 350 after … tvs are so cheap now. u can get a decent 40 inch sony for 350 after cashback

I just need a real cheap one for the spare room. Got a new LCD TV for downstairs.

shuwaz

Daaaamn it! You crazy fool, i'm gonna go by you're experience for this … Daaaamn it! You crazy fool, i'm gonna go by you're experience for this one.

Is it a Panny?

Original Poster

Mallinersha

Is it a Panny?

Yeah

shuwaz

Yeah

Go for it.

Mallinersha

Go for it.

Panny plasmas are nice. Which model?
I'm still using my TH-42PX60, picture is excellent five years later.

Again got a Panasonic/ hitachi plasma in 2004 and it's still the nicest in the house, had quite a few more since and it has been on my bedroom wall throughout, picture is as clear as any of my others and never had an issue with it. The only thing ever is that it does not have an actual hdmi port. Would not hesitate to buy another. Saying that it's not a true panasonic, it was a hitachi but is actually a rebadged panny. I got lucky.

Edited by: "skellysgirl" 16th Dec 2011

just a little input i have a panasonic th-42px60 4 years old and is still going strong,quite afew members of my family have comented on the picture quality compared to there new sonys and toshiba,s it dosent have all the added features that new tvs have but the picture quality is superb,i think maybe £170-£150 in todays market is abit steep for a 4 year old tv,but gl with the sale.

I wouldn't bother. In terms of long-term value, it might work out cheaper and all-round better to buy something new, since a new LED TV is going to be far lighter on the leccy bill, should offer better image quality, and will have maybe as much as a 5yr warranty attached. It'll be more expensive, I know, but it might work out far cheaper long-term.

oo i wouldn't risk it to be honest.

I bought a Panasonic TH37 from Richer Sounds 7 years ago and it's still going strong . I gave it to my mum after I bought a LG Plasma ,the Panny wasn't HD .
Despite what the plonkers on the websites were saying years ago about plasma's not lasting .ie. screen burn , 30.000 hour life etc .etc . The picture quality is as good as it was when I bought it and it was on 7 to 8 hours per day , every day .That's a Panasonic for you .

Our 42inch Philips plasma tv has just gone on the blink ( just over 2 yrs old ) and just out of warranty , cost us £40 for an engineer to tell us it could be at least £200 to fix .............guess what we are gonna get a new one instead ..........bloomin tvs..:(

ricko

I bought a Panasonic TH37 from Richer Sounds 7 years ago and it's still … I bought a Panasonic TH37 from Richer Sounds 7 years ago and it's still going strong . I gave it to my mum after I bought a LG Plasma ,the Panny wasn't HD . Despite what the plonkers on the websites were saying years ago about plasma's not lasting .ie. screen burn , 30.000 hour life etc .etc . The picture quality is as good as it was when I bought it and it was on 7 to 8 hours per day , every day .That's a Panasonic for you .

That's whe I got mine from are you sure it wasn't hd? I know when I bought mine they said technically they couldn't advertise it as being hd, but it had the capability. It does not have a hdmi port, but I can still get hd quality by using the red/white/yellow cables. I know that is is because I can see the difference when I switch the sd/hd switch on our Xbox cable.

skellysgirl

That's whe I got mine from are you sure it wasn't hd? I know when I … That's whe I got mine from are you sure it wasn't hd? I know when I bought mine they said technically they couldn't advertise it as being hd, but it had the capability. It does not have a hdmi port, but I can still get hd quality by using the red/white/yellow cables. I know that is is because I can see the difference when I switch the sd/hd switch on our Xbox cable.

Yes , definetly not HD , it had no inputs for anything except VGA , it was basically a monitor .
I had to buy special slot in devices called TERMINAL BOARDS . I bought SCART & COMPOSITE ones . I also bought the Quintro . This allows me to plug in anything with a SCART ie. DVD ,VIDEO, SAT BOX etc into the Quintro and the output goes to the SCART on the Panny .
It worked very well and the picture quality was excellent .I'm still using the Quintro plugged into the LG .

Banned

panasonic 32 iinch died after 4 years with little use as i was in uk for 2 of them

replaced under 5 year warranty.....well $897 given for $1500

Banned

shuwaz

Yeah but it's not about the trustworthiness of the seller, its more about … Yeah but it's not about the trustworthiness of the seller, its more about the reliability of plasma TVs. LCD/LED seem to be everywhere so its as if plasma are crap or something?

thats cos plasmas dont start until 40-42" screens!

plasmas are better than LCD ime and reliability is the same for each. You would see any screen burn when you view the TV on collection.

Original Poster

I'm going to buy the TV. Its a punt at £150 but its going in the spare room anyway, perhaps with a PS3 setup for the kids.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions