Protecting the pavement at my daughters school

Posted 6th Jan
Quick question

We are one of the few people that walk to school at my daughter's primary school, despite most children living in the village.

It seems to have become convention for parents to park on the pavement outside the school, which is on a busy through route. There is no advantage to this, the road is narrow anyway, so only one car can pass in either direction. It only serves the purpose of meaning those walking to school have to walk in the (busy) road, because there is no space between the school hedge and the pavement. Because the drain has been destroyed by cars the pavement now also floods on the rare occasion it's passable on foot.

Are there any consequences of dumping a few rocks from a nearby quarry on the verge to protect the pavement for pedestrians? As said above. it wouldn't actually change the number of cars that can pass. It would just stop car drivers for no reason blocking the entire pavement.

I know the answer should be "speak to the police" but this is Thames Valley Police, who are so pro-Chelsea-Tractor it's a miracle they don't offer a rewared for running over school children.

TN xxx
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Knowing today’s culture, by placing rocks you will be accused of littering, murder of the insects you placed it on, blocking a pavement for partially sighted people, offend the rock people, and be liable for any damage to the cars of the morons that still try and park.

You’d be better off buying some second hand dolls to stand there, people will think a bit more if they can humanise the problem.
If you have a local paper maybe asking them to do a write up and maybe get them to take photos might get the council moving.
Speak to the school, talk to the local council, try the police. Other than that, i think your hands are tied?
28 Comments
Speak to the school, talk to the local council, try the police. Other than that, i think your hands are tied?
STRICKIBHOY06/01/2020 23:47

Speak to the school, talk to the local council, try the police. Other than …Speak to the school, talk to the local council, try the police. Other than that, i think your hands are tied?

"I Think your hands are tied"
Picking up rocks is out then
Speak to other parents, the school and lobby your local politician. Don’t place rocks on the pavement, you’ll cause more issues than you’ll resolve.
Knowing today’s culture, by placing rocks you will be accused of littering, murder of the insects you placed it on, blocking a pavement for partially sighted people, offend the rock people, and be liable for any damage to the cars of the morons that still try and park.

You’d be better off buying some second hand dolls to stand there, people will think a bit more if they can humanise the problem.
If you have a local paper maybe asking them to do a write up and maybe get them to take photos might get the council moving.
Be annoying by sending email after email to the council to do something about it
Take photos of the offenders and post it on the council's Facebook page to embarrass them into doing something.
I'm my area, there is a camera car that goes around taking pictures of the offenders and fineing them, so it can be done.
walesonline.co.uk/new…401
It’s pandemonium at the school on my street the police are called out every week just because the amount of cars dropping kid off. I have bother getting out the street in the morning and the afternoon. What happened to walking to school is it just laziness. If you make them walk to school it’s probably the only exercise they get coz they are probably stuck in their rooms on tablets
Get the police out, ask them if they follow the oath & request therefore that they perform this duty diligently until the area is recognised as a no parking area & act on any subsequent follow ups required.

Also write this & request that it is acted on as per oath to the chief constable!

"I, ... of ... do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law".

Do they have a conscience? ..you can make a big deal in terms of leverage if they are dismissive.
ALSO: get some (pollution monitors) & get the school using them at these peak times.
Involve the council in these matters also. pollution & health risk in addition to illegally blocking pavements meant for pedestrians.
Talk to your local council road safety department, and the school, my local council have temporary signs made up of cartoon kids holding placards saying don't park here that they borrow out to schools to place on pavements during drop off and pick up times
deleted249798
Thanks all.

I did speak to the council, they said they used to have a team that deals with it but no more. I hoped they might do something because it floods where the drains are covered with mud but apparently not that either.

Headteachers is useless. She has said cycling to school is too dangerous and wants to allow parents to use the yellow zig zag as a drop off area if they don't park. Well they already park there but of course on the pavement so it supposedly doesn't count.

I did think about replanting the verge with daffodils and wildflowers and asking people not to drive over it but realistically they will be driven over anyway.

So frustrating. It's less than 10 mins walk but we walk past people getting in their cars and driving there
deleted24979807/01/2020 08:27

Thanks all.I did speak to the council, they said they used to have a team …Thanks all.I did speak to the council, they said they used to have a team that deals with it but no more. I hoped they might do something because it floods where the drains are covered with mud but apparently not that either.Headteachers is useless. She has said cycling to school is too dangerous and wants to allow parents to use the yellow zig zag as a drop off area if they don't park. Well they already park there but of course on the pavement so it supposedly doesn't count.I did think about replanting the verge with daffodils and wildflowers and asking people not to drive over it but realistically they will be driven over anyway.So frustrating. It's less than 10 mins walk but we walk past people getting in their cars and driving there

Get Greta Thunberg on the case - metaphorically speaking
en.wikipedia.org/wik…erg

Seriously, the pupils themselves will be the best allies in shaming their parents to cease such bad behaviour.
I also have the same issue. where cars park on the pavement at our school. I have to say the pavement is big where if a car does park on it it has room for people with prams but as i live in a city there is alot of people walking on the pavement.

My sons asked me why i did not park on the pavement and why did i park on the correct side of the road and a bit further away from the entrance. If i am correct you are not allowed to drive on a pavement but are allowed to have your car parked on a pavement if it is not blocking the pavement off. to to have your car parked on a pavement you need to drive on it to get your car there on the 1st place.

sometimes when i walk down it and see people coming out there car i am like you would think this pavement is a car park.

His nursery was even worse. you would see people park on Zig Zag lines at a crossing that was on a bend. i would drive past them at a snail pace and stare at them and shake my head.

also starting to happen where i live for the past 6 years it been fine and over the last year 1 guy started it off by parking on the payment and sure enough others followed (around 8-10 cars now) and they block the pavement off each side of a bus stop where people have to ether walk on the road or walk on the private grass owned by the house on that street. also the kids in the area loved this bit as it is a big tangle of pavement and in the middle is grass (houses on 2 sides and road on 1 side) and they love to use there scouters and bikes and race each other around it but i am now saying to my son he cannot do this as scared he will scratch a car when going past the cars/vans that are blocking the pavement. have taken many photos of the cars (without there number plates showing (as not look to get people fined)) have been handed to the local council, been reported to police and one of those police websites (but it says they cannot do anything unless it is double yellow lines showing) and 3 months on. nothing has happened or changed.

i should also like to note the local police even park on it (i have seen this happen 5-6 times) to be far if they where on a call for a emergency i would be fine with that but most the time they are not.

Thanks to esar above think he may be correct to get issues like this heard you need to use social media now a days.
Edited by: "Mackan" 7th Jan
Just scatter a few bags of particularly pointy nails along the verge at night.
Edited by: "themorgatron" 7th Jan
Mackan07/01/2020 09:45

I also have the same issue. where cars park on the pavement at our school. …I also have the same issue. where cars park on the pavement at our school. I have to say the pavement is big where if a car does park on it it has room for people with prams but as i live in a city there is alot of people walking on the pavement.My sons asked me why i did not park on the pavement and why did i park on the correct side of the road and a bit further away from the entrance. If i am correct you are not allowed to drive on a pavement but are allowed to have your car parked on a pavement if it is not blocking the pavement off. to to have your car parked on a pavement you need to drive on it to get your car there on the 1st place. sometimes when i walk down it and see people coming out there car i am like you would think this pavement is a car park.His nursery was even worse. you would see people park on Zig Zag lines at a crossing that was on a bend. i would drive past them at a snail pace and stare at them and shake my head. also starting to happen where i live for the past 6 years it been fine and over the last year 1 guy started it off by parking on the payment and sure enough others followed (around 8-10 cars now) and they block the pavement off each side of a bus stop where people have to ether walk on the road or walk on the private grass owned by the house on that street. also the kids in the area loved this bit as it is a big tangle of pavement and in the middle is grass (houses on 2 sides and road on 1 side) and they love to use there scouters and bikes and race each other around it but i am now saying to my son he cannot do this as scared he will scratch a car when going past the cars/vans that are blocking the pavement. have taken many photos of the cars (without there number plates showing (as not look to get people fined)) have been handed to the local council, been reported to police and one of those police websites (but it says they cannot do anything unless it is double yellow lines showing) and 3 months on. nothing has happened or changed. i should also like to note the local police even park on it (i have seen this happen 5-6 times) to be far if they where on a call for a emergency i would be fine with that but most the time they are not.Thanks to esar above think he may be correct to get issues like this heard you need to use social media now a days.

I would let him scratch them, if they are blocking the pavement, what are they going to do, sue a 5 year old?
deleted24979807/01/2020 08:27

So frustrating. It's less than 10 mins walk but we walk past people …So frustrating. It's less than 10 mins walk but we walk past people getting in their cars and driving there

Similar here too, probably less than 5 minutes walk from my house to the primary school. I can leave my house at the same time as the neighbour is getting her kid into the car and then often walk past her outside the school while she's getting the kid out. Fair enough if the weather is really bad but just seems stupidly lazy otherwise.
eta.co.uk/201…ls/

AGAIN enforcement is down to the police.
Tell your vacuous head that they are making the likelihood of someone getting into an RTA outside the school an increased likelihood, & that their "preference" for parking may result in the school being sued for involvement & outcome via inferring that it is "ok to do so".

Challenge the PTA on this.
Also, if parked on the road in the OPPOSITE direction of travel the driver is also breaking the law potentially.
Get the school authorities on it via the council & complain as to access for proper use of the immediate area due to illegal parking congestion.

Insist the council do something, along with the police, make for a meeting between the two + PTA chair etc to ensure it is monitored, minuted & appropriate action can be enforced.

Do not be talked down to by either party on the basis of safety & law.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 7th Jan
NB scroll down that page.

Also: cheapest enforcemnt that can then in time be acted upon is to get double yellow lines painted on, this makes the zig zag enforceable & your head will not have a leg to stand on, so will have to work with you.
Slow process as it then needs police / authority enforcement.

However the biggest thing to do is influence the adults of kids to speak out rather than be a lone voice.
if you get a council pollution meter wielding officer out then it is fighting the council from the inside! & adds to the overall case of better control of vehicles.
julieallen07/01/2020 10:06

I would let him scratch them, if they are blocking the pavement, what are …I would let him scratch them, if they are blocking the pavement, what are they going to do, sue a 5 year old?

lol I am sure if my kid scratches a car then it would be down to me to pay for the repair of said car.
Edited by: "Mackan" 7th Jan
Mackan07/01/2020 10:54

lol I am sure if my kid attached the car then it would be down to me to …lol I am sure if my kid attached the car then it would be down to me to pay for the repair of said car.

They’re parking there at their own risk like all public places . Tough(poo) if it scratched
deleted249798
Someone went mental once because the 5yo knocked the wing mirror trying to squeeze through the 30cm gap between hedge and car.

Not normally a confrontational person but I did make it clear what would happen if they shouted at a five year old when they'd parked in such a stupid place
There is a difference between "wilful damage" & "accidental" ..it is not to be encouraged, or else you are breaking the law as much as the illegal parking ..think about it.
Mackan07/01/2020 10:54

lol I am sure if my kid attached the car then it would be down to me to …lol I am sure if my kid attached the car then it would be down to me to pay for the repair of said car.

I'm sure if they were blocking the pavement by being parked illegally and stopping people getting past, they would have a hard time winning in court, especially if it was an accident by a 5 year old child.
julieallen07/01/2020 12:07

I'm sure if they were blocking the pavement by being parked illegally and …I'm sure if they were blocking the pavement by being parked illegally and stopping people getting past, they would have a hard time winning in court, especially if it was an accident by a 5 year old child.

But it has got to get to that point to be not necessarily "proven" but decided by a judge who might be wanting to ignore folk / fact in order to get through the lists faster & home faster! ..happened to me that the judge pulled me into court & demanded the case occur without representation, courts aren't necessarily "honest" & can be very "judge --- mental"

Court cases are stress from start to finish!
Court defence are more experienced in questioning than you are in answering!
A court case might end up costing you £3000 to defend / £700 in fee's + reparation as well as a criminal record!

SO, please, tempting as it is, think on before damaging property or exposing yourself to something whereby your integrity is questioned & subsequently judged, despite others doing bad things & getting away with it.
Be the better person(s).
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 7th Jan
Mr_Gus07/01/2020 15:58

But it has got to get to that point to be not necessarily "proven" but …But it has got to get to that point to be not necessarily "proven" but decided by a judge who might be wanting to ignore folk / fact in order to get through the lists faster & home faster! ..happened to me that the judge pulled me into court & demanded the case occur without representation, courts aren't necessarily "honest" & can be very "judge --- mental"

I wouldn't use that solicitor again then if they turned up late. Also would be grounds for appeal, but in this case, if you had photographs it wuouldn't be hard to defend a claim like this.
Mate, when people LIE about what happens anything is possible in court cases!
deleted249798
Just had a court case from Olivia Muscat at Trethowans solicitors over a £25 parking ticket!

Won and got £80 costs but agree not time you're going to get back again. Definitely would not want to do it again over a scratched car! Judge was very nice in my case though, gave Trethowans a noose and let them hang themselves.
Edited by: "deleted249798" 7th Jan
I was stressed as hell & bleeding out of my backside, & subsequently ANGRY as hell (but still in control) afterwards, for 18 months!

Court cases pending or "done & judged" cause waves, reputation, name, finances, health.... be aware!
& the question being can you lay your hands on a minimum of £3 grand for a solicitor for an alleged minor infraction as the accused party?
How many £3k cushions does the average person have laying around?
Ah.. I hear what you're saying about cars being parked on the pavement causing obstruction. Outside a local school in our town, the homeowners living on the school road are really fed up of the cars so place their wheelie bins out on the pavement instead- all 3 of the blasted things! However, thats not enough deterrent for the car drivers who then just park a little bit more on the road so obstruct the road a fair bit.. however, still a nightmare for the walkers who now have cars AND big bloomin bins to navigate through.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions