Groups

Protection from phone blocking

Hi! I am buying a phone from my friend, who bought it from someone on Gumtree. There is always the underlying risk it could end up blocked. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from this, am I insured in any way?

10 Comments

There's nothing you can do. If the original owner reportes it lost/stolen it'll be be blacklisted and only they can get it lifted.

I'm fielding 2 or 3 calls a week from people who've bought from either Gumtree or Ebay and then find weeks later the phone stops working.

Buy a new one,

thought networks were using a new system whereby they track the sim in turn establishing ownership of the phone.

i.e as soon as you insert your sim the imei of the phone automatically links to your account hence safeguarding you from blacklisting

Not concrete but ask for a copy of the purchase / upgrade receipt at least then if it does get blocked you may have some comeback from the seller / phone company

sedd33

thought networks were using a new system whereby they track the sim in … thought networks were using a new system whereby they track the sim in turn establishing ownership of the phone.i.e as soon as you insert your sim the imei of the phone automatically links to your account hence safeguarding you from blacklisting

That's always happened. Every time you put your sim in a phone the network logs the imei against your acc. Its the way the networks operate the blacklisting. . .

steve1221

That's always happened. Every time you put your sim in a phone the … That's always happened. Every time you put your sim in a phone the network logs the imei against your acc. Its the way the networks operate the blacklisting. . .

then why a year or so ago one could register the phone to your sim but now network refuse to do so saying its done automatically as soon as the sim is inserted

so in fact you are incorrect

Banned

Bought my W995, X10 and Desire from folk on Gumtree. No problems with any of them. If you're buying on Gumtree and collect from the seller's house, they'd have to be pretty stupid to try and shaft you. Bricks are stronger than windows after all.

dunfyboy

Bought my W995, X10 and Desire from folk on Gumtree. No problems with any … Bought my W995, X10 and Desire from folk on Gumtree. No problems with any of them. If you're buying on Gumtree and collect from the seller's house, they'd have to be pretty stupid to try and shaft you. Bricks are stronger than windows after all.

never tried g/tree how is it compared to ebay?

Could you insure the phone? register the imei with your insurers, then if it gets blocked, report it missing.

Not sure how that would pan out... i'm sure someone will find a problem with that method

I bought a broken PS3 from someone on Gumtree.
    They didn't tell me the harddrive was missing.

They fannied around when I asked for it.
    I am biding my time, as I collected it from their house.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie911
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions