Protein Powders

Found 19th May
I'm trying to lose half a stone to 10Ibs, lose the belly and love handles, and put a bit of muscle on (but not a lot).

Am I better off mixing protein powders with milk or water?
If water, which taste the best in water?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Water will have less calories so better to lose weight. A good middle ground is skimmed milk. Best protein powder bar none is optimum nutrition. Great tasting and very low in sugar, however you pay extra for the quality.
Thanks. I was looking at that Brand, and MyProtein which is a bit cheaper. Home Bargains seems to have some decent stuff in as well.
Problem is a lot of the cheaper brands add a bit more filler and sweeteners that don’t always agree with your stomach, ON seem to only use good ingredients, hence the price
or just eat healthy and exercise and you wont need protein or any other magical powders with sketchy evidence behind their claims..... as proven by literally every single health authority in the world.
Edited by: "mattsk" 19th May
I only use ON and Myprotein powders, and I'd use semi skimmed milk if trying to put on muscle less fat, I normally use semi skimmed or full fat milk
I use sis (sports in science) Rego which tastes nice with water.

PhD diet whey is great with milk, has a nice taste.

Water you can digest the protein faster while milk can be used as a snack/small meal replacement.

Tbh for the starting progress of working out. Protein isn't really that important. You'll get the results either way.
It's when you're really pushing the bar to rip the muscles and repair them quickly to rinse and repeat.

Get used to drinking a glass of water shortly before each meal. It helps you feeling full after a smaller plate of food.
mattsk1 h, 8 m ago

or just eat healthy and exercise and you wont need protein or any other …or just eat healthy and exercise and you wont need protein or any other magical powders with sketchy evidence behind their claims..... as proven by literally every single health authority in the world.

It's glorified baby formula so it works fine or you would have a lot of malnourished babies. I guess it also helps a lot of people that have digestion problems.
kester761 h, 26 m ago

It's glorified baby formula so it works fine or you would have a lot of …It's glorified baby formula so it works fine or you would have a lot of malnourished babies. I guess it also helps a lot of people that have digestion problems.

What ?
my protein or the protein works is fine. take with water if you want to lose weight. they're not magical so you need to hit the gym as well
I use MyProtein for helping build lean muscle. Some people will say its a myth and that you don't actually need protein, the more lean muscle mass you have the better, muscle is heavier than fat, 1lb of muscle looks a lot smaller than 1lb of fat. Training hard at the gym is easy, drinking protein shakes is easy, the hard part is the self discipline to have a deficit in calories. You need to burn more calories than what you eat to lose weight.
You can not build muscle mass and lose weight at the same time.

To build muscle mass you need lots of calories, to burn fat you need to eat less calories. If you have high body fat % then start by cutting the body fat first then go back to building muscle on a clean diet bulking diet.
jayonline852 h, 22 m ago

You can not build muscle mass and lose weight at the same time.To build …You can not build muscle mass and lose weight at the same time.To build muscle mass you need lots of calories, to burn fat you need to eat less calories. If you have high body fat % then start by cutting the body fat first then go back to building muscle on a clean diet bulking diet.

I half agree with that statement.
Muscle mass required lots of protein, the calories are to run the enhanced mass. Without calorific intake your body starts to metabolise muscle fibres. Resulting in the opposite direction to the goal.

Trying to build muscle mass and lose weight at the same time can be soul destroying.
If you are losing weight as measured, then you’ll think you’re not being effective. Muscle weighs more than fat. So while your body shape may improve the scales may stay static.
If you are losing weight by look then you’ll be fine.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 19th May
if you are watching your weight then I opt for soya/almond milk instead of semi skimmed it still tastes great.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants