Provisional Licenses as a student - 'UK Driving License'?

Posted 24th Sep
Hi.
I've been doing some research for my friend to sign up for the benefits you get when you go to uni. I keep on seeing the phrase 'passport or UK driving license' to be able to prove your age to sign up to the student platforms.
For instance, Totum asks for a passport or UK driving license, as does the 16-25 railcard.

So, the question is: does a UK PROVISIONAL
driving license still count as a 'UK driving license'?

A rather obvious question, I know, but I just wanted to check before I assume it'll all be okay with a provisional.
If you have any tips for signing up to student platforms then I'd like to hear them. I heard Totum isn't really worth the money and that Totum ID card isn't accepted as much compared to a Provisional driving license.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
A provisional license is just as official a document as a normal driving license; it’s government issue and the only difference between the two is that you haven’t passed the driving test yet. Well worth having as ID and saves carrying around a passport, even if your friend has no interest in driving.

edit: provisional licenses only need to be renewed every 10 years.
Edited by: "ytfc_nick" 25th Sep
13 Comments
Totum has zero credibility as ID as it it commercially issued not government issued. Some organisations may accept Totum for internal low-level ID purposes.
A provisional license is just as official a document as a normal driving license; it’s government issue and the only difference between the two is that you haven’t passed the driving test yet. Well worth having as ID and saves carrying around a passport, even if your friend has no interest in driving.

edit: provisional licenses only need to be renewed every 10 years.
Edited by: "ytfc_nick" 25th Sep
"Does a UK PROVISIONAL driving license still count as a 'UK driving license'" yes

Although, we spell it with a 'c' not an 's'.
AndyRoyd24/09/2019 20:03

Totum has zero credibility as ID as it it commercially issued not …Totum has zero credibility as ID as it it commercially issued not government issued. Some organisations may accept Totum for internal low-level ID purposes.

That's out-dated advice. Hence, why the OP refers to a passport/driving licence with regards to a Totum application.

totum.com/pro…ard
Edited by: "IamMT" 24th Sep
IamMT24/09/2019 20:14

That's out-dated advice. Hence, why the OP refers to a passport/driving …That's out-dated advice. Hence, why the OP refers to a passport/driving licence with regards to a Totum application.https://www.totum.com/proof-of-age-id-card

No, still relevant as the vast majority of current Totum cardholders are not ID PASS cards. plus many organisations don't even know (hence not recognise) Totum ID and some will simply refuse regardless of implied legitimacy as Totum is still commercially issued and not government / agency issued.
AndyRoyd24/09/2019 20:29

No, still relevant as the vast majority of current Totum cardholders are …No, still relevant as the vast majority of current Totum cardholders are not ID PASS cards. plus many organisations don't even know (hence not recognise) Totum ID and some will simply refuse regardless of implied legitimacy as Totum is still commercially issued and not government / agency issued.

38537728-ZVsEO.jpg Did you look at the link I posted before commenting?
IamMT24/09/2019 20:33

[Image] Did you look at the link I posted before commenting?

Yes, and did you read my comment but to summarise repeat: the majority of exisiting Totum cards have no ID PASS, and some organisations will simply refuse regardless of implied legitimacy as Totum is still commercially issued and not government / agency issued.
"the majority of exisiting Totum cards have no ID PASS," - agreed.

The rest is simply your conjecture, however most people asking for age-related ID will be aware of the accreditation clearly visible in the Totum+ID card as shown in the image above. Enjoy your day.
ytfc_nick24/09/2019 20:04

A provisional license is just as official a document as a normal driving …A provisional license is just as official a document as a normal driving license; it’s government issue and the only difference between the two is that you haven’t passed the driving test yet. Well worth having as ID and saves carrying around a passport, even if your friend has no interest in driving. I believe they last for 2 years before you need to renew (or at least this used to be the case).

2 years expiry? First I've heard of that.

Maybe you're confusing it with the theory test?
Gollywood24/09/2019 22:20

2 years expiry? First I've heard of that.Maybe you're confusing it with …2 years expiry? First I've heard of that.Maybe you're confusing it with the theory test?

Yep quite possibly! I passed my test 15 years and it’s been a long day
ytfc_nick24/09/2019 20:04

A provisional license is just as official a document as a normal driving …A provisional license is just as official a document as a normal driving license; it’s government issue and the only difference between the two is that you haven’t passed the driving test yet. Well worth having as ID and saves carrying around a passport, even if your friend has no interest in driving. I believe they last for 2 years before you need to renew (or at least this used to be the case).

According to here gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
... It lasts 10 years before needing to renew (though you do seem to need a passport).
Edited by: "Toxiic" 25th Sep
38540490-N6d8Y.jpg
In Scotland, most kids get a Young Scot card, issued by their local authority, and valid until they're 26. Unfortunately, for some reason, they are also not accepted as proof of id everywhere wither, despite being a government issued ID format.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants