PS Plus - Sharing between households

Posted 6th Mar 2023
Hi, my daughters live with their mum and have just been given an old ps4. I have a PS5 here, and am subscribed to PS plus with my account, with my daughters and step kids all having their own accounts that hang off that one for online play and access to PS plus games.

Is there any way that my daughters could use my PS plus account on their ps4 without losing online access for all the accounts on the ps5, as every guide I've seen says to make the ps4 the master account but that this would limit online access to one account only on the ps5? Or do I need to bite the bullet and get them their own subscription?
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    slimy31
    My daughter and I have a PS4 each, I have the subscription but she has to have the master account for her to use her own account on her PS4. Translating that to your situation, you would have to set the PS4 as the master account for her to use your account subscription. And then yes, you'd lose access on your other local accounts.

Sony don't have a 'family' subscription, this combination only seems to work as a happy coincidence rather than how Sony intended it. Their 'plan' was that you could go to a friends house, log into their PS4 and play your games. Then when you get home you log back in and the access disappears. The action of setting the 'other' playstation as the master but not logging out just allows account sharing to happen.

I looked into this as my son is rapidly approaching PS4 age, and the only way I can see is to have another subscription. Although if he turns out to be an Xbox fan, he can use my Microsoft sub instead, because as far as I can tell, they can be shared pretty easily!
    IndianaBlues Author
    Thanks, we already have the family sub for Nintendo Online so I was hoping it would be something similar here, but apparently not, which is a shame as I have a mountain of games I've collected over the years as freebies that I'd like to have shared.
    the-running-man
    is 100% correct.
    When you have a PS4 and a PS5 sharing the account it's really easy.
    Activate both as the "Primary" console with the same account

playstation.com/en-…de/

She can then log into the PS4 with her own account.
    She'll have all the benefits of your account - online play/monthly games etc.
    To trigger the Plus games she'll have to select your account, download the games (or you can trigger them for her via the website - which I think is much easier) she'll then log back in as herself.

I currently do this with a family member that I donated my PS4 to when I got my PS5. So it definitely works fine. (edited)
    score01
    Yep - pretty sure PS allow you to have a primary PS5 and primary PS4 at the same time.  Should solve all of your issues.
    stubbadub
    Cant you have a master account on Ps4 and one on ps5? Unless I'm mistaken, you could set the Ps4 as your master too
    Byno
    If your daughter's are using one console then make your account on it the primary. All other accounts on it should then have access to PS+ online play and any games etc.

I still use both gens and gameshare on both with no issues. (edited)
    IndianaBlues Author
    Will that not kick the PS5 accounts offline? The wording on the official guidance is a bit woolly but that's how it sounds
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants