PS Vita - Sales Figures Updates (2nd March)

Found 3rd Jan 2012
Looks like the Vita is off to a bad start, could be a bad thing for early adopters...

techdigest.tv/201…tml

"Currently available in Japan only, the Vita managed to sell just 72,479 units in its first full week on the market (December 19th through December 25th) after getting off to a decent start with 325,000 sales in its first 48 hours (December 17th and 18th).

However, the 3DS managed 370,000 units in Japan in its first week, and 210,000 units in its second, beating the PlayStation Vita by 45,000 units in its first seven days, and a massive 137,500 units in its second week."

will it affect pre-order or do consumers accept a lowered RRP within a matter of months in exchange for free downloads (hello, 3ds)

195 Comments

Original Poster

beaten by the psp in week 2...

mcvuk.com/new…278

Banned

The target audience for a grown-up handheld console have moved to phones now it seems.

with iPads etc are handhelds really gonna market well anymore..
Edited by: "Alfonse" 3rd Jan 2012

Original Poster

forbes article too...

I'd cancelled my pre-order a month or so ago when i came to the conclusion that the only game I'm likely to play is fifa and I may as well hang on for a bundle deal in September 2012...

Looks like that might the smart move.

like the psp the prices will crash n burn quickly will pick one up when its dirt cheap

PS Vita.. You can imagine the kids today 'WTF - it aint even a phone, lol'

Banned

master_chief

The target audience for a grown-up handheld console have moved to phones … The target audience for a grown-up handheld console have moved to phones now it seems.

Exactly. The 3DS still has some appeal to the younger market and even the slightly older market, but the Vita is aiming for a market that the iPhone dominates. Shame, because it looks like a decent bit of kit but there's simply no reason for it to exist.

Flodd

beaten by the psp in week … beaten by the psp in week 2...http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps-vita-plays-second-fiddle-to-psp-in-second-week-as-3ds-shines/089278

Hardly surprising given the back-catalogue of titles available for the PSP1000, 2000, 3000, N1000 series consoles & the differential in retail price (especially released in the last quarter of the year).

The sales of PlayStation Vita, like those for Nintendo 3DS, will be slow [at first] when the manufacturer's other console(s) are still available as direct competition.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry

there's simply no reason for it to exist.

Other than me needing a fix of a decent game of fifa (which the PSP lacks) I'd agree with you...

FYI: [ hotukdeals.com/mis…180 ]

(also [ hotukdeals.com/dea…513 ])

Johnboy_1975

You say launch sales were affected by a combination of lies and … You say launch sales were affected by a combination of lies and ignorance (about the 3D effect)I'd say it had more to do with the latter comments you made about the price being too high and there being 2 games worth owning atm. I'd throw into that android and iphone apps selling at 59p which must be having an effect on systems where they want £30 a game...

The Nintendo DSi/XL has not suffered the same fate; the price of that system has remained the same (or thereabouts) since the launch of the 3DS. The titles for the DS range have been reduced sooner than usual (but that is true for the software for other consoles; PS3, Xbox 360, & Wii, included) but have not fallen as much as the 3DS titles.

I think a number of factors have contributed to the poor sales (in no particular order):

a) Continued support for the DS range
b) Recent release of the DSi XL console (that was probably bought for most users as gifts for last Christmas)
c) Apathy for anything 3D related
d) Media frenzy about the 3D handheld technology, then a 180 degree turn to dismiss the console on launch (because that's what journalists do) due to health reports about the technology
e) Limited selection of titles available at launch
f) Competition from other handheld devices/delivery channels
g) The economy & a continued uncertainty about recovery
h) Launch price

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

fanpages

Hardly surprising given the back-catalogue of titles available for the … Hardly surprising given the back-catalogue of titles available for the PSP1000, 2000, 3000, N1000 series consoles & the differential in retail price (especially released in the last quarter of the year).The sales of PlayStation Vita, like those for Nintendo 3DS, will be slow [at first] when the manufacturer's other console(s) are still available as direct competition.BFN,fp.

I was about to chide you for missing the Pspgo but opened mine to find it's the N series...

You adopting early FP or playing the waiting game?

FilthAndFurry

there's simply no reason for it to exist.

Flodd

Other than me needing a fix of a decent game of fifa (which the PSP … Other than me needing a fix of a decent game of fifa (which the PSP lacks) I'd agree with you...

The fact there is no removal battery cell may slow down the introduction of "custom firmware" [although "the community" are already hard at work in this area] but hopefully (!) better security precautions are now in place in this revision of Sony's handheld technology.

Not all of us wish to use Apple hardware too, of course.

BFN,

fp.

Banned

I think the 3DS is a great piece of kit mind, my Son loves his, the R4 cards work a charm on non-3DS games and I love the new Mario.

Flodd

I was about to chide you for missing the Pspgo but opened mine to find … I was about to chide you for missing the Pspgo but opened mine to find it's the N series... :|You adopting early FP or playing the waiting game?

As I mentioned a few days ago...

"Happy 2012 for the Vita?"
[ ps3speech.blogspot.com/201…tml ]

I pre-ordered the (WiFi + 3G) PlayStation Vita console on 7 June 2011 (when it was first available in every retailer's online catalogue).

A new incentive has been made available for pre-ordering...

[ blog.eu.playstation.com/201…es/ ]

I contacted GAME's Customer Services to enquire if I was eligible, & was told that it was just for in-store pre-orders!

Go figure.

However... I am not finding any of the launch day titles are "must haves" for me.

The only title I have pre-ordered is "Uncharted: Golden Abyss" because Amazon (UK) listed it for £28.37 (on 18 December, but the price has subsequently risen).

The PS Vita is DOOMed...

[ youtube.com/wat…l48 ]

master_chief

I think the 3DS is a great piece of kit mind, my Son loves his, the R4 … I think the 3DS is a great piece of kit mind, my Son loves his, the R4 cards work a charm on non-3DS games and I love the new Mario.

If only there was a 3DSi XL it would cater for my failing eyesight.
However, I still could not find any titles I am interested in playing.

What do you play on the Nintendo range, m_c?

Banned

fanpages

If only there was a 3DSi XL it would cater for my failing … If only there was a 3DSi XL it would cater for my failing eyesight.However, I still could not find any titles I am interested in playing.What do you play on the Nintendo range, m_c?

I play Mario, OH plays Layton, Son plays all the kiddie stuff.

master_chief

I play Mario, OH plays Layton, Son plays all the kiddie stuff.

There was a time when my kids & my partner would all play "Animal Crossing".
The "Professor Layton" titles are played by our youngest, but a majority of gaming is on the "Mario" (& derivative), "Pokémon", "LEGO", & other established franchises.

Hits this Christmas were "Super Scribblenauts", & "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn", as well as "Mario Kart 7", "Super Mario 3D Land", & "Super Pokémon Rumble".

What the PlayStation Vita needs is an exclusive "must have" franchise (like Nintendo have in "Pokémon"); not just side-projects of the "Uncharted" & "LittleBigPlanet" series.

That said, the portable "Call of Duty" title may be a "platform seller".
Edited by: "fanpages" 3rd Jan 2012

If they released a handheld ps2 with a library of every game (and ps1 game) to download at a reasonable price, I would buy one straight away.

Original Poster

I wouldn't mind a 3ds for Luigi's Mansion... Last time I played one I had a mild 'eyesight' incident mind...

Banned

I love the Uncharted series but I can't think of anything worse than playing it on the vita.

Original Poster

master_chief

I love the Uncharted series but I can't think of anything worse than … I love the Uncharted series but I can't think of anything worse than playing it on the vita.

Frustrates the living **** out of me... though i still play them to completion!

master_chief

I love the Uncharted series but I can't think of anything worse than … I love the Uncharted series but I can't think of anything worse than playing it on the vita.

Flodd

Frustrates the living **** out of me... though i still play them to … Frustrates the living **** out of me... though i still play them to completion!

I have all three in the franchise so far, & have really only got "into" the third. I appreciate the technical achievements, & the skills involved with bringing the whole package to the public, but I'm only playing it to completion for the sake of it though.

As mentioned above, the whole industry has shifted to casual/"indie" game-play these days; titles like "Skyrim" & "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception" (campaign) will be few & far between before long.

That said, I have no interest playing online with the Vita.
It will be a quick "pick up & play" console like the PSP range before it.

Banned

Only thing I like on the PSP are the tower strategy games.

gbspurs

If they released a handheld ps2 with a library of every game (and ps1 … If they released a handheld ps2 with a library of every game (and ps1 game) to download at a reasonable price, I would buy one straight away.

A few select(ed) PlayStation 2 titles are already available from the North American PlayStation Store.

What are you specificially looking to play?

You can add original PlayStation title requests to this thread, if you wish to:

[ community.eu.playstation.com/t5/…775 ]

BFN,

fp.

bring back the game gear

Banned

fanpages

As mentioned above, the whole industry has shifted to casual/"indie" … As mentioned above, the whole industry has shifted to casual/"indie" game-play these days; titles like "Skyrim" & "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception" (campaign) will be few & far between before long.

Really?

The videogames market is competing more and more with films and producing epic, story-driven titles. Sure there's a growing market of casual games especially on IOS and Android, but I think the idea of the demise of big single-player games is ludicrous.

Specifically, I would like to play vice city, mgs3 and bully again but that's only 3 of a long list! Ps1 wise it's not so bad.

It's the "few selected" that annoys me. You buy a console, make it the best selling console of all time and in return you get a new console that can't play any of the old games (I know the 60gb can but it's a dying breed) and then they release only a few for the new console. Where is the love Sony!

Oh and gran turismo 3 a-spec

so do you think its worth while buying the vita if you already have iphone 4s?

fanpages

As mentioned above, the whole industry has shifted to casual/"indie" … As mentioned above, the whole industry has shifted to casual/"indie" game-play these days; titles like "Skyrim" & "Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception" (campaign) will be few & far between before long.

FilthAndFurry

Really? The videogames market is competing more and more with films and … Really? The videogames market is competing more and more with films and producing epic, story-driven titles. Sure there's a growing market of casual games especially on IOS and Android, but I think the idea of the demise of big single-player games is ludicrous.

Yes, it seems to be a commonly-held belief with a number of industry analysts, albeit not great news for people like you (& me), I believe.

The advent of "Cloud Computing" & online access such as OnLive gaming technology is also going to shift the priorities of many of the major development houses/publishers in the near future.

The industry is aiming for "digital only" distribution channels in the next few years. Current broadband infrastructure (fortunately) does not allow everybody to download huge quantities of data over the Internet, though.

More established broadband-based countries (like North America) will benefit from such advancements, but the UK, for instance, needs a lot of investment (from both the public & private sector) before a majority of potential customers will have sufficient connection speeds for the service to be a viable alternative to what they currently experience.

Until a large percentage of the gaming audience can gain access then the "big budget" Hollywood-style production budgets will not be as prevalent as they are today.

I will continue to buy/support physical media production/distribution for as long as I am able to though.

BFN,

fp.

Havince

bring back the game gear

The Atari Lynx & the Nokia N-Gage (revision 1) too.

All have had their day; some before they were released.

Lessons need to be learned. I hope they have been.

Nintendo need to be especially careful. If their "Wii U" platform fails then they have nothing in reserve for the foreseeable future & may be "forced" to move into software development/publishing only (like SEGA before them).
Edited by: "fanpages" 28th Jan 2012

hocka

so do you think its worth while buying the vita if you already have … so do you think its worth while buying the vita if you already have iphone 4s?

What games do you play, how often, & how many are available for the Apple hardware you own?

Can you afford both?

Are your pockets large enough to carry both simultaneously?

FYI: "Vita's Japanese Sales Drop 78% In Second Week, Sony Refuse To Comment"
[ dealspwn.com/vit…922 ]

BFN,

fp.

its for my husband, he likes games like uncharted/batman/assassins creed.
he already has an iphone, he got fifa for 69p! not sure if its gonna be worth getting the vita tho, he has psp but too much reflection on the screen so dosent use it.

fanpages

What games do you play, how often, & how many are available for the Apple … What games do you play, how often, & how many are available for the Apple hardware you own?Can you afford both?Are your pockets large enough to carry both simultaneously?

hocka

its for my husband, he likes games like uncharted/batman/assassins creed. … its for my husband, he likes games like uncharted/batman/assassins creed. he already has an iphone, he got fifa for 69p! not sure if its gonna be worth getting the vita tho, he has psp but too much reflection on the screen so dosent use it.

This may interest him:

[ itunes.apple.com/gb/…t=8 ]

(and for Android devices...)

[ market.android.com/det…ent ]

BFN,

fp.

wow that looks good. what are those games being played on?

hocka

wow that looks good. what are those games being played on?

An iPad! Demo... [ youtube.com/wat…srU ]

I've just recently found that my (Android-based) mobile telephone handset's slide-out controls are supported!

[ computerandvideogames.com/330…ay/ ]

cant find the onlive viewer on his phone on apps, how did you get the link?

hocka

cant find the onlive viewer on his phone on apps, how did you get the … cant find the onlive viewer on his phone on apps, how did you get the link?

I used Google
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?89
    2. word association Game74244939
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    4. Add one, leave one game54415485

See more discussions