Groups

PS1 modding

Hope this topic isn't against the rules. As the age of PS1s is well and truly dead I can't see the harm :-)
    So, I've dug out my old PSOne (the smaller, newer revision) and want to play some old school classics. Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a modchip? I'm currently trawling the internet but most sites selling them (that are still online) have seemingly been abandoned - one hasn't been updated since 1999!!

17 Comments

I bought a psx one which was already modded from a car booty about 2 years ago with well over 200 games and about 30 boxed ones for £20.00 so that is prob your best bet getting one already modded.

Original Poster

Wow, bargain!

I was really hoping to do it myself. I enjoy stuff like that you see

Will keep my eyes peeled at the car boot this sunday though!

I did my own not too long ago. Cost me £2.91 and a bit of solder!

Original Poster

steevie_b;5330565

I did my own not too long ago. Cost me £2.91 and a bit of solder!

That's the kinda thing I'm after. Where did you get the chip? Online?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5330600

Checked the website I use and they don't have any sorry.

Ahh that's a shame :-(
    Thanks for checking though

I'm still trawling Google.. page 9 now :-D

i used to use a disk with a spring for mine. i cant remember the name off it but it didnt involve soldering. Try searching for ps1 cheat disks as i think thats what a lot were sold as. if i can remember the name i will let you know. good luck with youre hunt.

Original Poster

leecroot;5330813

i used to use a disk with a spring for mine. i cant remember the name off … i used to use a disk with a spring for mine. i cant remember the name off it but it didnt involve soldering. Try searching for ps1 cheat disks as i think thats what a lot were sold as. if i can remember the name i will let you know. good luck with youre hunt.

Could you be thinking of the ]PSX X-Change discs?

If I could pick those up cheap, they'd do but I still fancy tinkering around the insides of the PS1 more than anything :-D

I could always do the ]swap trick (at the cost of the disc spinning motor no doubt!!)

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5331037

I can list the site I used for my gamecube one, really good site, I got a … I can list the site I used for my gamecube one, really good site, I got a dead chip and they replaced it no questions asked, you could email them and ask? They're not very good at english, but they're helpful.I'll pm you them..

Thanks for that, I'll drop them an email

oldmanhouse;5331009

Could you be thinking of the ]PSX X-Change discs?If I could pick those up … Could you be thinking of the ]PSX X-Change discs?If I could pick those up cheap, they'd do but I still fancy tinkering around the insides of the PS1 more than anything :-DI could always do the ]swap trick (at the cost of the disc spinning motor no doubt!!)

thats it! i remember selling loads off these cos the games were easy to copy, i think i just had to burn them off onto cd.! good luck with youre hunt.

1. Get a 12F629 PIC (new code supports this chip, which has been widely used for Wii projects - the 12C508 is very hard to source). You can get a 5 pack on ebay for less than a fiver.
    2. Buy/borrow a programmer for this chip.
    3. Download this: eurasia.nu/mod…age.
    4. Program the chip with the bin/hex file inside.
    5. Install as per included instructions.

Xb0xGuru;5331497

1. Get a 12F629 PIC (new code supports this chip, which has been widely … 1. Get a 12F629 PIC (new code supports this chip, which has been widely used for Wii projects - the 12C508 is very hard to source). You can get a 5 pack on ebay for less than a fiver.2. Buy/borrow a programmer for this chip.3. Download this: http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=4759&ttitle=PSX_12F629_package.4. Program the chip with the bin/hex file inside.5. Install as per included instructions.

Interesting:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5331497

1. Get a 12F629 PIC (new code supports this chip, which has been widely … 1. Get a 12F629 PIC (new code supports this chip, which has been widely used for Wii projects - the 12C508 is very hard to source). You can get a 5 pack on ebay for less than a fiver.2. Buy/borrow a programmer for this chip.3. Download this: http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=4759&ttitle=PSX_12F629_package.4. Program the chip with the bin/hex file inside.5. Install as per included instructions.

Interesting indeed. Not quite sure what kind of "PIC programmer" i'll need to buy. There's one on fleabay for less than a tenner (item 130308294029) that looks suitable (from what I can tell). Ordering a couple of chips from Eurasia would cost me just under a tenner too so I might go the DIY route - much more interesting!!

oldmanhouse;5331789

Interesting indeed. Not quite sure what kind of "PIC programmer" i'll … Interesting indeed. Not quite sure what kind of "PIC programmer" i'll need to buy. There's one on fleabay for less than a tenner (item 130308294029) that looks suitable (from what I can tell). Ordering a couple of chips from Eurasia would cost me just under a tenner too so I might go the DIY route - much more interesting!!

Looks like it would do the job. I'm tempted to buy one myself just to tinker with :giggle:

oldmanhouse;5331789

Interesting indeed. Not quite sure what kind of "PIC programmer" i'll … Interesting indeed. Not quite sure what kind of "PIC programmer" i'll need to buy. There's one on fleabay for less than a tenner (item 130308294029) that looks suitable (from what I can tell). Ordering a couple of chips from Eurasia would cost me just under a tenner too so I might go the DIY route - much more interesting!!

Absolutely - plus you'll learn something in the process :thumbsup:

EDIT: If you have a Willem Programmer, something like WinPIC800 will do the job for you.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5331929

Absolutely - plus you'll learn something in the process :thumbsup:EDIT: … Absolutely - plus you'll learn something in the process :thumbsup:EDIT: If you have a Willem Programmer, something like WinPIC800 will do the job for you.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think this whole process is beyond me but I'm a little unsure about the programmer i'll need. I don't want to buy one only to find it's the wrong one!

One i was looking at was this one on ebay: item number ]130304593391

Would that do? The cheaper the better really :-D

oldmanhouse;5332531

Thanks for the tips. I don't think this whole process is beyond me but … Thanks for the tips. I don't think this whole process is beyond me but I'm a little unsure about the programmer i'll need. I don't want to buy one only to find it's the wrong one!One i was looking at was this one on ebay: item number ]130304593391Would that do? The cheaper the better really :-D

Yep, that'll do it - it even comes with a free 12f629 PIC :thumbsup:

Make sure you have an RS232 serial port on your PC, or at the very least a USB to Serial adaptor!

If you get completely stuck, let me know. I've a programmer and as long as you don't mind providing return postage and a PIC, I'll do it for free.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5333088

Yep, that'll do it - it even comes with a free 12f629 PIC :thumbsup:Make … Yep, that'll do it - it even comes with a free 12f629 PIC :thumbsup:Make sure you have an RS232 serial port on your PC, or at the very least a USB to Serial adaptor!If you get completely stuck, let me know. I've a programmer and as long as you don't mind providing return postage and a PIC, I'll do it for free.

Cheers, very kind of you. I'll order that one off fleabay and see how it goes!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Apple Watch Series 3 EE Contract Cost518
      2. Ditched Sky55
      3. Minecraft Foam Diamond Pickaxe - Source?22
      4. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay1016

See more discussions