£184 Million winners revealed.. would you?

Posted 19th May 2022
3936877_1.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

85 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Never ever make this sort of thing public, it can ruin your life.

There are all sorts of horror stories from lottery winners having to deal with endless streams of people looking for handouts, families falling out, getting flooded with huge numbers of frivolous lawsuits.

If you're going to hand out money to close family, ask them to keep the source to themselves and try to purchase an annuity instead of giving a lump sum. £1m can disappear quickly if managed poorly whereas £50k a year will mean they'll be comfortable for the rest of their lives. Someone who's frittered away £1m quickly will almost certainly be in huge debt meaning they're likely to ask for more (which is when it'll turn nasty)
  2. Avatar
    47469495-LnMRc.jpg
    These are quite nice, so yes.
    On a serious note OP it is revealed
  3. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9019/05/2022 18:59

Is there a reason why Lotto don't make 184 millionaires instead of giving …Is there a reason why Lotto don't make 184 millionaires instead of giving 1 person so much money they couldn't spend it?

Who knows?

A capped jackpot of say £30m would be more than enough for 99% of players, and then spread the rest out.
    I'm sure more people would play if they could get £100 for 3 numbers instead of £3.10 or less (or £2.40 for 2 of my last 3 wins this century.
    I personally would.

Sure they've bought Costco's bottles of Cristal
  4. Avatar
    This amount of money is just ridiculous. They looked well off already with a big house in the Cotswolds. I'm not bitter. Never happens to poor people like me and single parents with kids struggling. I would not go public, this amount would make you second guess your family friends asking for money all the time to. (edited)
  5. Avatar
    Always presumed winners were given incentives (bonuses) to go public - but apparently they aren’t according to Camelot. (edited)
  6. Avatar
    JoShmo19/05/2022 14:28

Too true.Lad up in one of the valleys by me won a couple of mil a while …Too true.Lad up in one of the valleys by me won a couple of mil a while back.Every time he went in his local after that he was expected to get the drinks in.

That'd wear thin after the fun. Guy I know self made money man but I've never known someone so suspicious of people. Picks up on things that aren't there even people he doesn't know. Bonbarded by charities left right and centre too and he is a private person without this fanfare.

Not the best timing either as people are really struggling

darlodge19/05/2022 14:33

I didn't realise that Camelot only provided financial assistance if you …I didn't realise that Camelot only provided financial assistance if you came forward.I thought Camelot were duty bound as part of the gambling conditions to provide assistance for all wins over a set amount. Might be wrong though??

That was my understanding too which I believe to be correct (edited)
  7. Avatar
    Xippi19/05/2022 17:05

Realistically - is there any real difference between, say £84m and £184m f …Realistically - is there any real difference between, say £84m and £184m for 'normal' people. Too much to spend in a couple of lifetimes as opposed to too much to spend in 10. This is the kind of windfall that unfortunately seems to destroy lives. Once you've looked after yourself and family/friends, You'd have to give the majority away to stay sane - and make a proper business out of it. You could do an immense amount of good with this sort of money and derive a lot of self worth by doing so.

Even 1% yearly interest would be £1.84m after the first year.
    Or roughly £35k a week.
    You probably couldn't spend it all.
    But I'd have some fun trying to. (edited)
  8. Avatar
    I have to say, I'm surprised how many people in this thread think you can 'look after your family' and 'give money away', you'll be surprised just how much you're not allowed to give away in a calendar year, the more you look into things like this the more you'd want to just spend things on life treating your family and friends...and of course, any charity you choose to support.
  9. Avatar
    darlodge19/05/2022 14:33

I didn't realise that Camelot only provided financial assistance if you …I didn't realise that Camelot only provided financial assistance if you came forward.I thought Camelot were duty bound as part of the gambling conditions to provide assistance for all wins over a set amount. Might be wrong though??

This has never been true. It's always been an urban legend and was debunked a long time ago.
  10. Avatar
    No chance, family members would come creeping out the wood work, begging letters, kids might get approached and scammers galore(i'm a bit negative
    )
  11. Avatar
    Might tell people I had a windfall (of a significantly lower amount) to explain the spending, but never of this kind of money. (edited)
  12. Avatar
    Mclwrth19/05/2022 17:49

I'd carry on as if nothing had happened for a while, then sell the house …I'd carry on as if nothing had happened for a while, then sell the house and move to a nice property in a different part of the country where no one knew me, then I'd live the high life. For personal mail and the rare occasions when someone came to visit, I'd have a modest property next door and I'd pretend that I lived there and was still poor.

3 bedroom detached above ground..
    Then an underground lair beneath it mwaaahaahhaaa
  13. Avatar
    xenole19/05/2022 14:46

The jackpot is £30m now, and it's probably in that area for half the year …The jackpot is £30m now, and it's probably in that area for half the year at least.I only play when it hits say £70m+ as that's a really life changing amount compared to a few million on the normal draws.

A few million is also a life changing amount for the vast majority of people.
  14. Avatar
    Is there a reason why Lotto don't make 184 millionaires instead of giving 1 person so much money they couldn't spend it?
  15. Avatar
    I wouldnt even tell the wife
  16. Avatar
    I would not tell anyone other than close family
  17. Avatar
    spoo19/05/2022 14:53

A few million is also a life changing amount for the vast majority of …A few million is also a life changing amount for the vast majority of people.

Few hundred thousand more like
  18. Avatar
    I'd carry on as if nothing had happened for a while, then sell the house and move to a nice property in a different part of the country where no one knew me, then I'd live the high life. For personal mail and the rare occasions when someone came to visit, I'd have a modest property next door and I'd pretend that I lived there and was still poor.
  19. Avatar
    I would revel for the rest of my life.
    So yes.
  20. Avatar
    No way! It's no one else's business. Look after those you love and keep yourself low key (whilst whizzing around in a sports car).
  21. Avatar
    Not a chance in hell.

I would tell literally no-one at first, then a few months down the line tell close family I'd won a much smaller amount on the regular lottery, maybe 2 million.
  22. Avatar
    There is no way I will announce this to anyone, not even immediate family, because most will struggle to not let this slip out even inadvertently.
  23. Avatar
    Realistically - is there any real difference between, say £84m and £184m for 'normal' people. Too much to spend in a couple of lifetimes as opposed to too much to spend in 10. This is the kind of windfall that unfortunately seems to destroy lives. Once you've looked after yourself and family/friends, You'd have to give the majority away to stay sane - and make a proper business out of it. You could do an immense amount of good with this sort of money and derive a lot of self worth by doing so.
  24. Avatar
    Mark_Hickman19/05/2022 19:29

I'd be able to have the hot tub on again and have a few quid left over …I'd be able to have the hot tub on again and have a few quid left over when my tariff renewsJust shows how stupid people are, the odds of winning are extremely low, what are the odds of someone in the same location winning again

There were a few in the Grimsby area a few years back. Gave it the nickname "Winsby"

Definitely too many draws. Used to be exciting when it was say £10m on the one Saturday night draw, with maybe a couple of rollovers doubling that.
    Then a Wednesday draw came in where no-one played and jackpots plummeted and have been sub-£1m.

Then Hot Picks, Set For Life and all these other multiple draws that meant if you played the same numbers, you were forced to put them on every draw in case the one time you didn't, they came up.

I would prefer 1 x Euro on Friday, and 1 x Lottery on Saturday. If you want daily gambling, go online or to a bookies.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't turn down £184m and wish them luck. Being able to afford pretty much anything, and do whatever you want without worry is fabulous! "Fancy lunch in New York?" Two £10k first class tickets on a plane leaving a few hours later is loose change.....etc. (edited)
  25. Avatar
    no I wouldnt
  26. Avatar
    Good luck finding me....
  27. Avatar
    Azwipe19/05/2022 15:52

I wouldn't care who knew as i'd be on the first flight to Miami looking …I wouldn't care who knew as i'd be on the first flight to Miami looking for a house around west palm beach

Why America of all places?
    Probably the greatest concentration of nutters by population (edited)
  28. Avatar
    Wouldn’t bother me personally going public but I have a couple of close family members I’d have to consider first so I probably couldn’t.

Would be fun though.
  29. Avatar
    Punching!!
  30. Avatar
    £10,000 a week for the next 360 years give or take
  31. Avatar
    sidhoooooo19/05/2022 12:32

No chance, family members would come creeping out the wood work, begging …No chance, family members would come creeping out the wood work, begging letters, kids might get approached and scammers galore(i'm a bit negative)

Its not negative, that's what happens
  32. Avatar
    xenole19/05/2022 14:20

Seems they do That's what I said earlier to someone. It really does …Seems they do That's what I said earlier to someone. It really does come across as rubbing it in people's faces. At least they told me something new that people actually play the lottery to try and win something. All these years, I've been just donating my £2.50 to good causes and not been in it to win any money ;)Not sure what an incentive to go public would be. Whether you could hide that amount especially if you were frivolous, I don't know. A small win being mentioned might cover some bits and pieces, but unless you're buying up dozens of properties in the background as an investment, you're not going to be able to show off things that would be well outside the range of that win.Did read ages ago that Camelot would provide financial advice etc. if you came forward. Else you were own your own.Personally, I would admit to that win to anyone beyond my parents.They might be ok in the future, but I'll expect all and sundry to come out of the woodwork, good or bad.

Wouldn't know who is your friend
  33. Avatar
    Camelot loves it when winners go public with a large win, there is always a massive surge in people playing after the announcement. The location the winners are from will see the biggest increase in sales to the point where a ticket was purchased will see a large increase in sales.
    I know a couple of people who has won some money (nothing close to this jackpot) and it caused them alot of heartache. Even if you keep your win private and known only to close family and friends, your win will be leaked very quickly. Those close to you will showoff and brag about your win to others in pubs and restaurants. I know break up in marriages, family falling out, relative's children will develop diseases which can be cured with expensive treatments. People close to you or have any contact with you will want to sue you. I even heard of a case where a teenage grand child staged their own kidnapping in order to extract a ransom from the grand parents.
    Winning alot of money can be blessing but can also curse.
    I personally would never make large win public.
  34. Avatar
    sidhoooooo19/05/2022 12:32

No chance, family members would come creeping out the wood work, begging …No chance, family members would come creeping out the wood work, begging letters, kids might get approached and scammers galore(i'm a bit negative)

Potentially, it could also attract criminals, even kidnappers too and disturbed people clamming they stole their ticket/numbers, or otherwise owe them money, and have press hanging around in years to come bothering them.

MadeDixonsCry19/05/2022 13:09

T True, and probably won't even stay in this country.

They might be able to afford to buy a small island. (edited)
  35. Avatar
    Hell no! Why would you do that?! I guess they weren't happy with just winning £184m and wanted the fame to go with it?

Personally, if I won that kind of money (I'd keep it private but that's another matter!) and I HAD to go public about it, I'll keep quiet for a few weeks, then I'd go public that I had won £1m on the millionaire maker or something. Enough so that they won't get suspicion when I buy an nice house and a fancy car, but not enough to share to every Tom, Dick and Harry!
  36. Avatar
    Wongy11019/05/2022 15:33

@wayners ?????? …@wayners ?????? ??https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/19/gloucester-couple-win-record-breaking-184m-on-euromillions-lotterySome sun here

Not me
  37. Avatar
    wayners19/05/2022 15:56

Not me

Me niether but we did have a big win about 10 years ago their daughter played with my niece
Top Merchants