Found 2nd Jul 2008
Keep hearing about this 2.40 firmware and how good it is. Ain't this in the UK yet? I have 2.36 and it says I have the latest firmware installed. The Thophy system sounds interesting.

1. Misc
  2. PS3
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PS3
16 Comments

Only thing that sounds remotely good is the Ingame XMB and the possability for custom tracks in games, although only new games will have the feature (unless older games are patched) and also you cant stream the media from a PC or network, it has to be from the HDD on the PS3, usual rubbish from Sony if you ask me.

Mike..

Just updated. I am still waiting for the update that allows me to send HD audio via bitstream, Not holding my breath though.

The hardware in the ps3 can't do hd via bitstream from what i have read up on the subject, the only reason you might possibly be effected using liner pcm is the lack of the icon glowing on an amplifier. Otherwise you'll get the exact same audio output from a pcm stream as you would outputting to have it decoded via bitstream.

Cold-Phoenix;2441858

The hardware in the ps3 can't do hd via bitstream from what i have read … The hardware in the ps3 can't do hd via bitstream from what i have read up on the subject, the only reason you might possibly be effected using liner pcm is the lack of the icon glowing on an amplifier. Otherwise you'll get the exact same audio output from a pcm stream as you would outputting to have it decoded via bitstream.

I was waiting for someone to chime in with that stock response.:thumbsup:

Do you have a data sheet detailing the specifications of the silicon involved? If not, then why are you so sure of this information?:roll:

Another possible rumour is that there are marketing constraints in as much as it would eat into high end standalone player sales if this functionality is introduced now. Perhaps when profile 1.1 players have had some time in the market place, a firmware update can then be deployed.

Either of these answers could be true.

And of course there are other valid reasons why bitreaming HD audio is a better solution. Some people's amps have bass management issues for example with PCM audio tracks. Not to mention it is a pain to switch output modes when I want to listen to a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA audio stream on a Bluray. Not even getting into the downmixing issues people have with 7.1 speaker setups....

I downloaded a new updated today and i am pritty sure it is 2.40.

Its is the best update yet. A whole load of useful features added.

The 2.40 update has indeed been pulled. Maybe I should not be so keen on the update button in future :-( I only hope that a 2.41 update is released before I'm affected by many of the reported failure to boot problems

what? thats odd mines updated to 2.40 does that mean my ps3 is going to blow up?

I updated my 40gb this morning. All running fine.

It now makes it PSN > LIVE ('cause of the £30 fee).

Heavertron;2442011

I was waiting for someone to chime in with that stock … I was waiting for someone to chime in with that stock response.:thumbsup:Do you have a data sheet detailing the specifications of the silicon involved? If not, then why are you so sure of this information?:roll:

Yup avsforum.com/avs…766

The chip on board has not got the ability to handle that method of outputting sound so there is no chance of the ps3 doing that, on the other hand it sounds like your receiver has issues, i'm using an onkyo 606 and it purrs away with my ps3 attached. If your looking at something that will do everything and support bd-live you have 2-3 options the only one i know off hand is the panasonic bd50 which isn't out last i saw. The others were further away still from release but i've been proved wrong before so i'll check around

gd_miester;2442495

I updated my 40gb this morning. All running fine.It now makes it PSN … I updated my 40gb this morning. All running fine.It now makes it PSN > LIVE ('cause of the £30 fee).

how does a tropy system and the ability to play your own songs when you like make it better than live?
Did they change the whole thing or am i missing something?

Banned

I had a quick browse around the internet.. lots of silly comments about this firmware release (probably M$ fanboys).

Updated my 60GB (not really 60GB, upgraded) earlier yesterday and having no problems playing BF:BC online, full teams with in-game XMB :).

deathtrap3000;2443171

how does a tropy system and the ability to play your own songs when you … how does a tropy system and the ability to play your own songs when you like make it better than live?Did they change the whole thing or am i missing something?

Aye, I'd say it's better than xbox live now.

they have intergrated cross media bar (so they can private chat, and message, accept friend requests join games etc.)

The trophy system is like the achievement system.

And they can also (always been able to) have 4-5-6-7 way conversations and so on.

Btw this is a non-fanboy view.

I agree with t0mm, XMB has now surpassed XBL and the best part is it will get a lot better.

As much as people like to slate Sony take a look at how much the PSP firmware has been advanced since it was launched.

Completely off-topic, overheard a conversation the other day about how the 'PS3 lacks innovation'. Then I thought OK, so it has a web browser, linux distro, [email protected] app, conference call functionality, top-end blu-ray player, wireless built in, option to swap out hdd to approx 320gb without having to tear your console apart, media centre oh and i almost forgot, it plays games as well. Well, i rest my case on that one.

I don't think the Xbox is a bad console, and XBL is pretty nifty...its just s shame that M$ got it running then thought 'f*ck it, it works why bother adding to it' which is why the PS3 will most likely outlive the Xbox.

Oh, and where the f*ck is Home for the PS3, Sony = slack b*stards ;-)

t0mm;2445917

Aye, I'd say it's better than xbox live now.they have intergrated cross … Aye, I'd say it's better than xbox live now.they have intergrated cross media bar (so they can private chat, and message, accept friend requests join games etc.)The trophy system is like the achievement system.And they can also (always been able to) have 4-5-6-7 way conversations and so on.Btw this is a non-fanboy view.

Wrong you cant start a chat with a friend ingame that is still a big problem sort it sonY!:x

Banned

2.41 now available via system update.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition66709
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions