ps3 and ps4 with fibre optic broadband....

Found 21st Jan 2015
Just upgraded to fibre optic broadband. Is it still best to connect consoles with a ethernet cable or is the wireless just as good now with fibre optic?
Community Updates
AskBroadband
13 Comments
I havent tested this much but I still use wires based on the fact I remote play the ps4 and use plex etc.

If you can you always want to get the best connection possible. It will also mean there are less signals on the same band.
As I don't use the web browser I use wired with the PS3 set to a static IP in a dmz. During some of the recent downtimes (not the lizard hack) I was still able to get on multiplayer whilst others were struggling. May be a coincidence but I find this set up works best for me. (Vm 100mbfibre)
Wired will always be better than wireless purely because there's less to go wrong with it short of the cable being cut.

Wireless can have issues such as other routes causing interference, interference caused by objects moving about, natural background noise and many other things.

If you want the best experience use a wire. Wireless works well but it's not nearly as good for consistency.
Our playstations are both wired on bt fibre
They work fine wireless also
Both hubs are near the consoles so we plugged them in
barrel24

As I don't use the web browser I use wired with the PS3 set to a static … As I don't use the web browser I use wired with the PS3 set to a static IP in a dmz. During some of the recent downtimes (not the lizard hack) I was still able to get on multiplayer whilst others were struggling. May be a coincidence but I find this set up works best for me. (Vm 100mbfibre)

How do you do static IP in a DMZ?
Jakirrr21

How do you do static IP in a DMZ?

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Support/How-do-I-set-up-a-DMZ-on-my-PlayStation-3-PS3/td-p/14419671

1st post in the link explains it
DealHunter_

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Support/How-do-I-set-up-a-DMZ-on-my-PlayStation-3-PS3/td-p/144196711st post in the link explains it

Thanks a lot mate
thanks for all the answers

one more thing, are all ethernet cables the same? Or is it better to get a certain one?

Think I will connect the ps4 via wire and the ps3 via wireless. To connect them both with an ethernet cable I would have to run two cables from the router to the consoles wouldn't I ? Or I would have to keep switching the ethernet cable from the ps4 to ps3 and vice versa?

Edited by: "markt91" 22nd Jan 2015
Cant speak for the PS4 as I don't know how to do a Speedtest but, on the Xbox One, if its plugged in with ethernet I get the full 152Mb speed, if wireless I get about 80Mb which is still good but, obviously not as good. Not sure if theres a way to view the network statistics on the PS4 to compare. I just have the ethernet cable that I've had hanging around for years, no idea where I got it but, won't have been an expensive one.

Yeah you had to run two wires from the router or keep switching which console its plugged into.
markt91

thanks for all the answers :)one more thing, are all ethernet cables the … thanks for all the answers :)one more thing, are all ethernet cables the same? Or is it better to get a certain one?Think I will connect the ps4 via wire and the ps3 via wireless. To connect them both with an ethernet cable I would have to run two cables from the router to the consoles wouldn't I ? Or I would have to keep switching the ethernet cable from the ps4 to ps3 and vice versa?

Firstly wired connection is always better than wireless. Less interference, faster speeds and also lower ping. Ping is essentially how long it takes your connection to relay information from your console to the servers and back again. The lower the ping the better, less chance of lag when gaming online.

To answer your question not all ethernet cables are the same. You can get for example Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6a etc. You can google the differences if you wish to know more, but I would advise you to get Cat 6 cable and above simply for future proofing and the fact that it is backwards compatible. The price difference between the types is minimal.

I have these connected to my consoles for example and they work a treat (you can obviously select your own length):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Ethernet-Gigabit-1000Mbit-compatible/dp/B00J3V0408/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421933976&sr=8-4&keywords=cat+6

To connect both consoles wired, you would need to run 2 cables from your router, one into your ps3 and one into your ps4. This would be the optimal connection. If the consoles are in the same room and you don't want to run 2 cables, you can alternatively run a single ethernet cable from your router into an ethernet switch, which will give you extra ports so you can then connect both consoles into the ethernet switch. If the consoles are not in the same room and If you don't wish to lay long cables or drill holes, you can get a set of homeplugs which will give you a good wired connection anywhere in your house depending on the condition of the electrical wiring in your home.

You connect one homeplug into a mains socket near your router and connect it to your router via ethernet cable, and you connect another homeplug in another mains socket anywhere in your home and connect that via ethernet cable to your Console, PC, etc. You can also get homeplugs with multiple ports so you can connect more than one machine into 1 homeplug. Depending on the condition of your electrical wiring in your home, you may not get max speed but the connection will be more stable than connecting over wireless.

Hope that helps
Edited by: "Fuzzy-Dunlop" 22nd Jan 2015
the other way would be to run 1 ethernet cable from the router into a cheap switch which then you can run (usually) 4 devices or more from
My PS3 is wired with a Cat 6 ethernet cable and have no issues on Virgin's Big Kahuna.
Have tried it wirelessly too and it runs fine but seeing as my PS3 is so close to my router it made more sense to run a cable between them
As others have said there'll be less interference than if you go the wireless route.
Thanks to everyone for the help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants