Found 17th Feb 2009
I have had to wipe my PS3 again, as it keeps getting stuck loading things, no disc errors nothing just the little white circle loading, is there a reason it keeps doing this, does the O/S on the PS3 need to be shutdown correctly or can it be switched off just like a normal appliance. I think this is where I might be going wrong, but I'm guessing this is the reason when it has a 2.5" hard drive in it. Not sure how the O/S is stored any advice. Can be given, its in the middle of wipe again.

Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

how old is it? could be laser issues

Original Poster

It's a 60 gig so your looking at 2-3. I'm guessing the O/S is getting corrupted everytime I lazy shutdown.

Sloth/Mod

Is the firmware upto date? Also when it hangs can you hear the HDD just spinning as if it's trying to read something?

Original Poster

Syzable;4403056

Is the firmware upto date? Also when it hangs can you hear the HDD just … Is the firmware upto date? Also when it hangs can you hear the HDD just spinning as if it's trying to read something?

No real noises Just one spin stop, not clangy or loud or like its really having a problem, didn't notice the hard drive over the machine noise, but will keep my ears to the hard drive if it doesn't work this time. Firmware was latest about 15 days ago. It's only done this twice now. Someone on a forum somewhere, had the same problem they fixed it by simply FULL formatting. - Not very specific I know. It worked last time. In the middle of a full format now.

Sloth/Mod

Hopefully that will work Could just be a bad sector on the HDD that it can't get past.

Original Poster

Syzable;4403095

Hopefully that will work Could just be a bad sector on the HDD that it … Hopefully that will work Could just be a bad sector on the HDD that it can't get past.

Hmm okay, how much of the O/S + Games is loaded when doing so, might take it out and get a decent program checking the hard drive see if there is any, its FAT32 right?

Sloth/Mod

It only reads a small portion when booting up a game. Much like the 360 does now as well.

And yes it's FAT32

Original Poster

Syzable;4403153

It only reads a small portion when booting up a game. Much like the 360 … It only reads a small portion when booting up a game. Much like the 360 does now as well.And yes it's FAT32

Cheers Syzable will look into the hard drive issue, might be time to buy the upgrade.:thumbsup:

Probally the HDD, but no way of testing it (ie put into laptop via USB and checkdisk chkdsk)
If its happening like ever week, could try the old HDD back in it and test for that length, if don't get any problems the it is the HDD, get replaced.
Also possible the 'lasy shutdown' mightn't be helping it (has to delete any temperay file maybe)

Original Poster

Okay its definetly not software. Drive just isn't booting anything not even spinning, im hoping its just dusty as when I left it for half a day last time it worked fine afterwards im guessing dusts in it. Might have to take it a part

Original Poster

Gave sony a ring, they want £99 call and collect replacement fee. Cheaper then buying a new unit, seeing as though mines the 60gig not the 40nor 80.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Mobile phone advice44
    2. What is gearbest like on warranty?810
    3. Android pay set up610
    4. Best 4k tv's for gaming11

See more discussions