PS3 Blu Ray laser is dead - anyone know who will fix it?

Banned 14
Found 11th Jun 2009
As title, my PS3 has stopped reading Blu Ray and I need a new laser.

Been quoted silly prices at £100+ to get it fixed.

Can anyone please help me out with someone cheaper and reliable?

Many thanks.

1. Misc
  2. Blu-Ray
14 Comments

You need continuous play...

PS3 Blu Ray laser is dead - anyone know who will fix it?

Jim.

Is it genuinely dead? I'd want to run a lens cleaner over it before thinking of spending any serious cash on it or sending it away for repair, especially if you live in a dusty house, or smoke.

How old is it, and where did you buy it?

Original Poster Banned

It is dead mate,. I have tried a cleaner, just does not accept it.

It is about 2 years old, I bought it brand new think I may have the receipt somewhere. I called Sony but they were adamant just a 12 months warranty and it would cost £150 for them to repair it.

Will search for cheaper options online, there is no way I am paying that money for something that is less than 2 years old.

I thought UK law stated that the item had to be fit for it's purpose? If so how come all these companies selling in the UK can get away with a 12 month warranty?

Surely this is illegal? Electronics normally cover you for minimum 5 years in the UK, but trying to get any joy is a just a joke. (Hyperthetically speaking in future I may as well buy copies from Chinese electronics compaines, obviously not the PS£, but overall it will be cheaper and if it breaks your not really bothered, just replace it because buying from well known manufactureres means naff all in this country any more!!. )

1 year warranty, WTF is that all about???

My next MP4 player and mobile will be a cheap Chinese one, just in case!!!

As for Sony, well let's hope they do eventually go bust.......you would have thought they would bend over backwards as they have the rights to Blu Ray and they need to sell their own movies and games!!! How can they do that if they do not repair their own devices????!!!!!

Thick idots!!!

grex9101;5469395

You need continuous play...

+1

Original Poster Banned

What's continuous play like?

continuousplay.co.uk/Def…spx

Dead handy when our ps3 went kersplat it was replaced within 2 days. (ours started with a blueray fault then decided to stop playing the games too!!)
replaced with like which we were fine with. We've got a 60gig and I'd be gutted if we lost the backward compatability.

Original Poster Banned

Ah right, thanks guys.

So could I sign up, make my payment then claim with them straight away?

Like I say my PS3 was bought by me from new. I have all records of sale etc.

Original Poster Banned

Ah crap, yes I did mate.

I thought they would have helped me out there and then. But sadly they more or less told me to get lost, thus resulting in them losing game sales.

Their loss.

Microsoft.....here I come. Again. Lol.

BeemerMad;5470394

It is dead mate,. I have tried a cleaner, just does not accept it.It is … It is dead mate,. I have tried a cleaner, just does not accept it.It is about 2 years old, I bought it brand new think I may have the receipt somewhere. I called Sony but they were adamant just a 12 months warranty and it would cost £150 for them to repair it.Will search for cheaper options online, there is no way I am paying that money for something that is less than 2 years old.I thought UK law stated that the item had to be fit for it's purpose? If so how come all these companies selling in the UK can get away with a 12 month warranty? Surely this is illegal? Electronics normally cover you for minimum 5 years in the UK, but trying to get any joy is a just a joke. (Hyperthetically speaking in future I may as well buy copies from Chinese electronics compaines, obviously not the PS£, but overall it will be cheaper and if it breaks your not really bothered, just replace it because buying from well known manufactureres means naff all in this country any more!!. )1 year warranty, WTF is that all about???My next MP4 player and mobile will be a cheap Chinese one, just in case!!!As for Sony, well let's hope they do eventually go bust.......you would have thought they would bend over backwards as they have the rights to Blu Ray and they need to sell their own movies and games!!! How can they do that if they do not repair their own devices????!!!!!Thick idots!!!

Nice essay, but you didn't buy it from Sony.

Original Poster Banned

TheSaint - nope I never bought it from Sony, but vendors are usually only 1 year warranty then you take it up with the manufacturer, hence my frustration with Sony, I expect at least a 3 year warranty on all electrics. 12 months is a joke!! Even poundland give you a better warranty!!!!

Mass - no mate, I will get a repair somewhere, imagine I will find one for £50 or so. Then I may sell it. If not I may be in touch.

Cheers.

You should look for the receipt mate, the sale of goods act means that (as far as I understand from a thread on here the other day) the shop that sold it to you has to cover the 2nd year of the warranty, look into it chap.

Mike..

BeemerMad;5470695

TheSaint - nope I never bought it from Sony, but vendors are usually only … TheSaint - nope I never bought it from Sony, but vendors are usually only 1 year warranty then you take it up with the manufacturer, hence my frustration with Sony, I expect at least a 3 year warranty on all electrics. 12 months is a joke!! Even poundland give you a better warranty!!!!Mass - no mate, I will get a repair somewhere, imagine I will find one for £50 or so. Then I may sell it. If not I may be in touch.Cheers.

Theres a massive difference between electrics and electronics. Its very hard and expensive to make cutting edge electronic devices that will last several years - its a price you pay for having the latest technology I'm afraid (and why such devices very rarely have warranties over 24 months)...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Building PC/desktop help or alienware aurora i757
    2. Double/duplicate notifications on iOS app22
    3. S7 (regular) full coverage tempered glass protector22
    4. What car to purchase?11

See more discussions