Groups

PS3 Fantasy Cross Media Bar and PSN+ Subscription

FP and I ended up hijacking someone else's thread discussing this so I thought I'd start another solely for this discussion.

How would you like the PS3's XMB set out? What things would you like PSN+ to include?

Lets see what we all come up with and see if we're all singing from the same hymn sheet!!

39 Comments

a better music application similar to the photo app already in place, full face book integration and twitter, plus email application for both online mail and pop3....

Pizza ordering made easy.

I'd love a full on media centre ala xmbc on the old (modded) xbox's with similar styling - either load from the ps3 xmb, or to fully replace it

slightly off topic - I'd also like to be able to add files and folders to where I want them to go

Original Poster

I would love the PSN to actually download at the speed of my connection. I don't download films from them as the max transfer rate I can get is 1MB per sec!!

This is what my connection can do with a 500MB file from a reliable site!

File size transferred : 500.0 MB (524288000 bytes)
    Total time taken : 85.24 seconds (85241 milliseconds)
    Throughput : 6150.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
    = 6.15 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
    = 49200.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
    = 49.2 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

I did get a random survey from PSN asking what I'd like to see from the video store and I told them on that faster transfers!! At the moment PSN is so slooooooooooow to download from!!

PSN+ is the paid version right? I'd definitely state that in the OP.
    Also my speeds are fine tbh surprisingly!

what i want is to be able to arrange the xmb how i want it to look, with a show/hide feature on everything on there, that way it will be customised to how i want it, for instance press triangle and go to information to select hide, and if in the future you want to bring it back have another link to be able to show it again in the options.

i would also like to be able to put my own bookmarks on the xmb like bbc i player is now, but with a pre view of the website like the safari start page.

also more interactivity between ps3 and pc, such as better message support on the pc so if im on the pc i cans till message my friends etc, as it stands now i can see who is online and what they are playing but that is pretty much useless as to do anything else i would have to log onto the ps3/psp.

might have more ideas so will post them up if and when i think of them

Original Poster

Right here goes at my fantasy XMB and fantasy PSN+

Will start with PSN+

Cross game chat and Party Chat :thumbsup:

I have explained my reasoning on another thread but will repeat for those who missed it :thumbsup:

Cross game chat for when you and one other friend are playing a game and only want to chat amongst yourselves. Its also great if your already in a game and you want to chat with your friend informing them you'll just finish this round then come out to the lobby etc to join them. Also handy

Party chat for similar reasons to cross game chat but allows up to 7 other people to chat, meaning if 5 of are you already playing you can join their party chat and ask if theres room in the game etc.

The feature to be able to see your friends, friend list. Its so frustrating when I say to someone at work so and so is on PS3, they then have to write the PSN name down. Why not just say look at my friends list and you'll find them on there. On Xbox Live you can adjust your privacy options so if someone had stumbled on your page via a friends friend list they could only see your profile and not your online status nor your friends list. But they can send a friend request at the touch of a button.

All of the above makes the online experience easier, joining games, adding friends. All at the press of one button. At the moment on PSN its a tedious task and could be sorted so much easier.

I would also like a weekly Q & A video round up, submitting your questions to an email address and every week PSN would release a new video of the questions being answered. This is also on Xbox Live but I really liked it and it works well.

Also to note Xbox Live streams alot of its video, yes quality is not as good by being streamed but its instant and none of this downloading and installing like the PSN makes you do!! I've already mentioned the PSN's transfer rate!! :oops:

Save games on a cloud server would be a nice touch also.

Better Internet browser like Firefox with the java plugin please!!

Thats about it on PSN+

Now for the XMB

Better looking layout. Yeah it works ok on the PSP but not on the PS3! The whats new section is ok but why not have a proper whats new channel that offers streaming video highlighting whats new!?

I would also like game invites, messages, chat invites to be displayed upon pressing the PS button.

Also in relation to the above the option to turn these notifications off. Some get so involved in the game their in they don't need these annoying pop ups. Let us control it simples :thumbsup:

Trophy sync is automatic, better display of trophies and make it easier to compare trophies!

RIght, that'll do for now. I'll await FP's comments and see what else I can think og! :w00t:

So you want to pay for Cross game chat and Party Chat?

Original Poster

Met-Cast;8837321

PSN+ is the paid version right? I'd definitely state that in the OP.Also … PSN+ is the paid version right? I'd definitely state that in the OP.Also my speeds are fine tbh surprisingly!

Changed!

Out of interest what speeds do you get downloading from PSN? What is your internet connection?

If it improved the chat quality (PSN sounds awful compared to chat on Xbox Live) Yes I would pay similar to what Xbox Live charges

On PSN

Similar(or the same as another member) I'd like a "Suggest a friend" to be added. I have just added another PSN id to my machine, and I want to add about 8 from my old ID. I have to log into my old account and write them down.
    With "Suggest a friend", I could simply send suggestions from one acccount to the other.

I would like to be able to report abusive online users direct from a received text message.

On the XMB

I would like to be able to group my vids, songs into folders.

thesaint;8837714

On PSNOn the XMBI would like to be able to group my vids, songs into … On PSNOn the XMBI would like to be able to group my vids, songs into folders.

you can all ready do this but it takes a while, go to the video or song you want to group press triangle > information > change the album name to whatever you want the folder to be called then press square on the list until it comes up with the folder names you chose.

adamipswich;8837481

Changed!Out of interest what speeds do you get downloading from PSN? What … Changed!Out of interest what speeds do you get downloading from PSN? What is your internet connection?If it improved the chat quality (PSN sounds awful compared to chat on Xbox Live) Yes I would pay similar to what Xbox Live charges

I have 10mb connection but its the same as what I get on the PC there's also a link that tells you how to make it better? I've tried but no luck.

Lets say Cross game chat is paid and you pay for it but your friend (the person/people you want to chat to) refuses to? It'll basically make it pointless!

Peterdj41;8837877

you can all ready do this but it takes a while, go to the video or song … you can all ready do this but it takes a while, go to the video or song you want to group press triangle > information > change the album name to whatever you want the folder to be called then press square on the list until it comes up with the folder names you chose.

Thanks, will have a go at that after the footie. :thumbsup:
    If you can do it for multiple items and not one by one, it is perfect.

thesaint;8838028

Thanks, will have a go at that after the footie. :thumbsup:If you can do … Thanks, will have a go at that after the footie. :thumbsup:If you can do it for multiple items and not one by one, it is perfect.

thats where the takes time bit comes in its only one by one, its made a bit faster with predictive text though. would love to be able to multi group different things.

i have all my psn games in seperate folders depending on what type they are and it took me a while to put them all into groups i couldnt be bothered then doing the same for my videos so just left them with the 15 second pre view box as it looks better than a folder to see all those different video previews playing on the list

Original Poster

Met-Cast;8837968

I have 10mb connection but its the same as what I get on the PC there's … I have 10mb connection but its the same as what I get on the PC there's also a link that tells you how to make it better? I've tried but no luck.Lets say Cross game chat is paid and you pay for it but your friend (the person/people you want to chat to) refuses to? It'll basically make it pointless!

Just tried downloading the FIFA world cup demo and it took 5 mins so alot better than it use to be. 5 mins for a 1024MB file is good going.

In regards to the cross game chat, yes it would be awkward but I'm bot sure how Xbox live implemented it? Does silver membership allow chat? Or just offer cross game chat for free to make it simple.

Once you've had it you do truely miss it.

adamipswich;8838461

Just tried downloading the FIFA world cup demo and it took 5 mins so alot … Just tried downloading the FIFA world cup demo and it took 5 mins so alot better than it use to be. 5 mins for a 1024MB file is good going.In regards to the cross game chat, yes it would be awkward but I'm bot sure how Xbox live implemented it? Does silver membership allow chat? Or just offer cross game chat for free to make it simple.Once you've had it you do truely miss it.

cross game chat is great for some single player games, as you can share stories if your on the same game, or give helpful tis etc, dont see the point of it when playing online as you should be talking with the people in your team not a friend, but hey ho.

as for psn downloading, to make it faster, log out of the psn (Account management >triangle) and the download goes faster than if you were signed in, its ok if your not planning on playing a multiplayer game or anything like that, but that usually pauses your downloads anyway

adamipswich;8838461

Just tried downloading the FIFA world cup demo and it took 5 mins so alot … Just tried downloading the FIFA world cup demo and it took 5 mins so alot better than it use to be. 5 mins for a 1024MB file is good going.In regards to the cross game chat, yes it would be awkward but I'm bot sure how Xbox live implemented it? Does silver membership allow chat? Or just offer cross game chat for free to make it simple.Once you've had it you do truely miss it.

Yeah silver membership do allow chat. Why should Sony make it the same as xbox live they should make it better and allow cross game chat and party chat both free if they can! Then again you only chat to play online and you have to pay to do that. Its not really like you turn on the Xbox just to chat to mates.

That is true! Ive had it on xbox live for a while and do miss that about the PS3. Its still not worth paying £3 a month though.

Peterdj41;8838146

thats where the takes time bit comes in its only one by one, its made … thats where the takes time bit comes in its only one by one, its made a bit faster with predictive text though. would love to be able to multi group different things.

Had a go, it's a bit of a long winded way, but useful to know.
    I have used copy and paste which works well. Hopefully a "Multipe" option will be added one day.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input in this thread. It's interesting to see what a varied audience would like.

Tried the signed out download and it is quicker, thanks! Same demo took 4 mins 10 secs!

thesaint;8838619

Had a go, it's a bit of a long winded way, but useful to know. I have … Had a go, it's a bit of a long winded way, but useful to know. I have used copy and paste which works well. Hopefully a "Multipe" option will be added one day.

will probably get to that stage one day shouldnt be to hard to implement a tick box for everything you want to put into one folder haha

adamipswich;8838732

Thanks everyone for your input in this thread. It's interesting to see … Thanks everyone for your input in this thread. It's interesting to see what a varied audience would like.Tried the signed out download and it is quicker, thanks! Same demo took 4 mins 10 secs!

no problem :thumbsup: its useful if you need to download a few things and want it done that little bit quicker, or if you have a new ps3 and want to download all your content onto it.

Original Poster

Bump!

I really think that Cross Game Chat should be added as a standard, not premium, feature. I am sure that I have read comments from Sony in the past, where they insisted that CGC would not be part of PSN+ but it seems that may not be the case.

If I was paying a premium for PSN+ I would like to see something like:

Free access to PS1 classics
    Free access to PSP Minis
    One or more free PSN games per month
    Discounts on all PSN purchases (say 20%)
    Free premium avatars and themes (including dynamic themes)
    Free movie from the video store each week/month
    Game leaderboards/battles, with prizes :-D

From what I have read, some of these features may well be in the final PSN+ model.

Another interesting point to note is the possible inclusion of an ongoing warranty for your hardware, which would definately be worth paying a few quid a month for. Presently I pay about £5 a month to DGS for Continuous Play, so being able to switch this cover directly to Sony, and getting some other perks into the bargain would be great news.

I've read stories of PSN+ costing £50 a year, seems a tad high.
    It annoys me that the PSN in the US seems to offer a better service but hey if PSN+ is value for money then it will sell, doh!
    I just get the get the feeling at the moment that this will just be a way to squeeze the Europeans but hey call me cynical.

As for XMB, I just have these really simple requests:
    1) When you are playing music, any application which will stop the music should prompt you before doing so. I play alot of music and this really annoys me. Oh and a folder hierarchy would be the greatest but we all that won't happen.
    2) Backing up game saves should allow multiple select, or just ALL, and what is it with copy protected saves especially as saves are locked to your console, from what I understand this has been the case for a couple of years.
    3) When doing a system backup then you should be able to leave out certain data, eg GAME DATA (you know those massive patches)

On the whole though I love PSN but then I don't know any different

flamingcarrot;8841072

I really think that Cross Game Chat should be added as a standard, not … I really think that Cross Game Chat should be added as a standard, not premium, feature. I am sure that I have read comments from Sony in the past, where they insisted that CGC would not be part of PSN+ but it seems that may not be the case.If I was paying a premium for PSN+ I would like to see something like:Free access to PS1 classicsFree access to PSP MinisOne or more free PSN games per monthDiscounts on all PSN purchases (say 20%)Free premium avatars and themes (including dynamic themes)Free movie from the video store each week/monthGame leaderboards/battles, with prizes :-DFrom what I have read, some of these features may well be in the final PSN+ model. Another interesting point to note is the possible inclusion of an ongoing warranty for your hardware, which would definately be worth paying a few quid a month for. Presently I pay about £5 a month to DGS for Continuous Play, so being able to switch this cover directly to Sony, and getting some other perks into the bargain would be great news.

If we get 1 of the above I think we'll be lucky.

dontasciime;8841246

If we get 1 of the above I think we'll be lucky.

Hey, it was a fantasy list

Seriously though, if they want to charge £50/60 a year for a premium service they are going to have to offer some good reasons for people to sign up, especially as online gaming functionality will remain free.

No-one is going to pay that sort of fee just for Cross Game Chat and a couple of Avatars.

Hey FC,
    Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for money? I know it is probably more a piece of mind business.
    I ask because I've had my PS3 40GB for nearly 3 years and it has broken twice. Both times with, what appears to the same fault, the bluray drive fails to read disks.
    The first time it broke Sony replaced the machine and the second time, outside of warranty by 8 months, they took the machine away and fixed it (for free which I was fairly impressed with).

I do worry about it especially during playing Heavy Rain, boy does that game throttle the drive.
    I know you can't get C.Play any more, I did look at Amazon.co.uk which are selling 2year insurance policies for about £30-£35.

Oh and I treat my PS3 with the upmost care.

Cheers

flamingcarrot;8841072

I really think that Cross Game Chat should be added as a standard, not … I really think that Cross Game Chat should be added as a standard, not premium, feature. I am sure that I have read comments from Sony in the past, where they insisted that CGC would not be part of PSN+ but it seems that may not be the case.If I was paying a premium for PSN+ I would like to see something like:Free access to PS1 classicsFree access to PSP MinisOne or more free PSN games per monthDiscounts on all PSN purchases (say 20%)Free premium avatars and themes (including dynamic themes)Free movie from the video store each week/monthGame leaderboards/battles, with prizes :-DFrom what I have read, some of these features may well be in the final PSN+ model. Another interesting point to note is the possible inclusion of an ongoing warranty for your hardware, which would definately be worth paying a few quid a month for. Presently I pay about £5 a month to DGS for Continuous Play, so being able to switch this cover directly to Sony, and getting some other perks into the bargain would be great news.

flamingcarrot;8841347

Hey, it was a fantasy list :)Seriously though, if they want to charge … Hey, it was a fantasy list :)Seriously though, if they want to charge £50/60 a year for a premium service they are going to have to offer some good reasons for people to sign up, especially as online gaming functionality will remain free.No-one is going to pay that sort of fee just for Cross Game Chat and a couple of Avatars.

Surely £39.99 will be the price point (I like the way it's always rumored to be £50/£60/£70) then when it's £40 people go well that's not so bad :lol suckers.

You are right they will need to offer something good or deemed worth while the % off will be a sure thing as it makes them even more money enticing you to buy things at no real loss to them (they got your monies) It's happy hour.

Free dynamic theme every month (However I still think these (especially true for the 360 eg the premium themes) should be included in the DLC they release along with gamer pictures and avatar clothes) So scratch that one.

The free movie is not that good for me or most of the BT network (slow aluminum broadband) especially if it's only Streamed content only.

There are plenty of possibilities and you very well may have included the line up. :thumbsup:

[email protected];8841516

Hey FC,Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for … Hey FC,Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for money? I know it is probably more a piece of mind business.

I keep the continuous play going for piece of mind really, as you say. The fact that I use my PS3 for PlayTV, streaming movies, streaming music, iPlayer and gaming means that it is kind of integral to my home entertainment set up, and I don't want to lose it for too long if something goes wrong.

I am sure that you can get better value for money insurance policies, but I like the fact that Continuous Play gives you a new console next day, delivered to your door. I have had to use it with my PSP before, and I was really impressed with the service. Coupled with the fact that they have withdrawn Continuous Play to anyone but existing account holders, I am reluctant to give it up.

flamingcarrot;8841651

I keep the continuous play going for piece of mind really, as you say. … I keep the continuous play going for piece of mind really, as you say. The fact that I use my PS3 for PlayTV, streaming movies, streaming music, iPlayer and gaming means that it is kind of integral to my home entertainment set up, and I don't want to lose it for too long if something goes wrong.I am sure that you can get better value for money insurance policies, but I like the fact that Continuous Play gives you a new console next day, delivered to your door. I have had to use it with my PSP before, and I was really impressed with the service. Coupled with the fact that they have withdrawn Continuous Play to anyone but existing account holders, I am reluctant to give it up.

The (currently) US "]Protection Plan" for PS3 &/or PSP consoles can only extend the warranty of consoles that are within their existing warranty period (12 months). It does not cover dead pixels, liquid damage, or loss of data though.

Taken from a previous comment (#]48) in my "]PS3/SEGA leaked document" thread where I provided a graphic image of the potential options for the "PSN+" ("Service Pack", as it was originally considered to be named):

fanpages

It is rumoured that the forthcoming tiered-subscription rates to the … It is rumoured that the forthcoming tiered-subscription rates to the PlayStation Network will offer (as one of the options) the ability to play differing titles (much like the split between Xbox LIVE Silver & Gold membership accounts at present). These may be certain original PlayStation (PS1), PS2, or even Dreamcast titles.Please see the article below about an IPSOS Online Research survey conducting on behalf of Sony to gain feedback on some suggested premium subscription plans:]Survey: Sony Considering Premium PlayStation Network Subscriptions (Kotaku.com)---A survey sent from IPSOS Online Research indicates that Sony is considering premium subscription plans for the PlayStation Network, detailing potential prices and premium services, including full hour game trials, free access to PSOne Classics, and cross-game voice chat.Reader Brenna sent us PDF files containing the Sony survey, which begins with the following bit of text: Sony is considering offering a premium PlayStation Network subscription in the future. The subscription offering would provide new premium features you could choose to pay for and are in addition to the features currently available for free such as access to online multiplayer gaming (current features would remain free).Following the introduction is a series of definitions of terms such as Token Wagering - a set number of tokens given to subscribers per month that can be used to be on games and exchanged for PSN content - and Cloud Storage Space for Games, which would allow players to save their game online rather than on their hard disk, protecting their data.Other notable services listed as potential premiums include loyalty reward programs, automatic updates, member-exclusive Facebook Connectivity, an online music service and music video service, Hulu TV catch-ups, member-only game content, discounts, demo-sharing (sharing exclusive member-only demos from your full games with friends), and Netflix without a disc.By far the most attractive premiums are full title trials, which give the user one hour access to full PlayStation 3 games, and free access to PSOne Classics, PSP minis, and premium themes.The list also indicates that some eagerly awaited features could be subscriber only, such as cross-game voice chat. Having waited so long for the feature, I doubt fans would be particularly happy to have to pay for it.The chart below details four potential plans, with three costing $69.99 a year or $9.99 a month - more than an Xbox Live Gold subscription, and one running $4.99 a month and $29.99 a year.We've contacted Sony for comment on the survey, but have yet to hear back as of press time. Just keep in mind that companies regularly test the waters by sending out questionnaires like these, and they by no means represent any concrete plans on Sony's behalf.It seems as if they simply want to gauge customer reaction to the various plans and features.---The plans are far from being finalised though.

I guess we'll see/hear later today what is on offer.

I'm already pleased that the "Sly Cooper" (PS2) series is getting a High-Definition make-over for the PS3. I rate that franchise highly & never had the chance to play through each title as much as I would have liked (or as much as my kids still do!). Hopefully the revenue from the sales of the "HD" versions of the first three titles in the series will help fund the development of the rumoured, "Sly Cooper 4" title.

BFN,

fp.

Re-posting from the thread that influenced this one:

Scar

... "Playstation.Blog.Share"http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/Should … ... "Playstation.Blog.Share"http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/Should check it out and perhaps share your ideas - granted it's the US region based site however one is still able to log in, vote and contribute ideas - some obvious leading ones such as Cross-Party Chat and PS2 emulation via software but some are interesting such as cutting down the XMB in-game (and therefore perhaps decreasing it's loading time) and directly displaying new messages upon pressing the PS button while the notification is displayed.Also:http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/03/13/wicked-new-ps3-xmb-concepts/

I really thought that Microsoft would of stepped up the features of their Gold member service (and even Silver members) in response to heavy rumours of a premium PSN service.

It would be pretty awesome if some (or optimistically all) of those perks flamingcarrot mentioned were in the rumoured PSN+ service - I recall reading that another feature would be to play "1 hour Demos" which consists of playing the full game for an hour to aid you in deciding whether or not it's worth a purchase.

I hope Cross Party Chat would be an addition to the standard PSN service but I won't be too hung up if it wouldn't be.

In regards to the XMB I don't have the creativity to think of any additions/tweaks... yet. :oops:

Cheers,
    Scar

Hey FC,Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for … Hey FC,Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for money? I know it is probably more a piece of mind business.I ask because I've had my PS3 40GB for nearly 3 years and it has broken twice. Both times with, what appears to the same fault, the bluray drive fails to read disks.The first time it broke Sony replaced the machine and the second time, outside of warranty by 8 months, they took the machine away and fixed it (for free which I was fairly impressed with).I do worry about it especially during playing Heavy Rain, boy does that game throttle the drive.I know you can't get C.Play any more, I did look at Amazon.co.uk which are selling 2year insurance policies for about £30-£35.Oh and I treat my PS3 with the upmost care.Cheers

You can get a brand new (250GB) console for about £50 plus your old console in exchange by "people in the know", so I wouldn't pay for continuous play myself.

PS3 users should get used to backing up their machines more often.

Edit: A partition that could be added and used to back up PS3 content to restore data to a new console would be great.

adamipswich;8837449

Right here goes at my fantasy XMB and fantasy PSN+...I have explained my … Right here goes at my fantasy XMB and fantasy PSN+...I have explained my reasoning on another thread but will repeat for those who missed it :thumbsup:...RIght, that'll do for now. I'll await FP's comments and see what else I can think og! :w00t:

The aforementioned "other" thread:
    ]E3 is live!

Taken from (one of) My original comments:

fanpages

I do like the Live.Xbox.com/console integration though; especially the … I do like the Live.Xbox.com/console integration though; especially the ability to 'flag' items for download the next time you go online. Expansion of the profile pages at Playstation.com to offer the ability to review the 'Store contents via a browser & then either kick off the download via "Remote Play" or the next time my PS3 is connected to the 'Store would be something I would make use of.I would also like to see the ability to export XrossMediaBar messages to ASCII (text) files on the console (so you can dump them to an external USB drive/stick), or have full integration with an online (web)mail client so I can copy &/or paste details between messages & to/from information I have stored on my PC.Other elements that come to mind without any thought (give me the remainder of the day & I could probably come up with improvements to each & every menu option!)...The ability to configure microphone devices, and check on disc space in-game.An estimated time for a controller to fully recharge.The ability to add "Friends" to "Friend Groups" (e.g. People I play "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" with, those I play "Killzone 2" with, and so on). Friends can exist in more than one "Friend Group".The ability to ignore all messages during game-play from everybody except single individual Friends, or individual "Friend Groups".A PlayStation Store layout that has a dedicated area that shows all the downloadable content &/or patches available for the titles you own (installed, or have played) on your console.Notification of patches to game titles available when I connect to the PlayStation Network.(External) RSS feed management.(Adobe) Flash support in the PS3 browser (so I can play Facebook.com mini games, or Miniclip.com games, for instance; however security issues aside I expect Sony would rather I play PlayStation titles on a PlayStation console!).I have also seen a number of requests from others asking for the ability to remove Trophies for a particular title (that may never be played again). I would take that request further & suggest you can elect to not allow the review of your Trophies to anybody, only allow the review of the Trophies for a selection of titles, or allow full review.Like I said, that list was just compiled as I typed. I'm sure there are plenty more improvements or enhancements we all could suggest.

(I did type out some suggestions in a blog entry at ThreeSpeech.com some time ago; I'll see if I can find them... however, they may well have been addressed with new functionality in recent system software now)

BFN,

fp.

Hey FC,Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for … Hey FC,Do you feel that £5 a month for Continuous Play is value for money? I know it is probably more a piece of mind business.I ask because I've had my PS3 40GB for nearly 3 years and it has broken twice. Both times with, what appears to the same fault, the bluray drive fails to read disks.The first time it broke Sony replaced the machine and the second time, outside of warranty by 8 months, they took the machine away and fixed it (for free which I was fairly impressed with).I do worry about it especially during playing Heavy Rain, boy does that game throttle the drive.I know you can't get C.Play any more, I did look at Amazon.co.uk which are selling 2year insurance policies for about £30-£35.Oh and I treat my PS3 with the upmost care.Cheers

Curious...

Have you ever played a "FIFA" title or "Grand Theft Auto IV" in your 40GB console?

BFN,

fp.

fanpages;8843120

(I did type out some suggestions in a blog entry at ThreeSpeech.com some … (I did type out some suggestions in a blog entry at ThreeSpeech.com some time ago; I'll see if I can find them... however, they may well have been addressed with new functionality in recent system software now)

Found it:

"]10 Other Features for the XMB (Other than in-game XMB!!!)"

fanpages (Friday 4 April 2008 at 4:19pm) / Comment #32

Xross Media Bar improvement suggestions that immediately come to mind for … Xross Media Bar improvement suggestions that immediately come to mind for me are...#1:A full-sized keyboard for use via the SIXAXIS/DualShock 3 controller, not some bad implementation of a mobile telephone handset pad.#2:A larger message text area so you do not have to scroll continuously to write (or read) a relatively short message.#3:An estimation of how long a controller will last before needing to be re-charged (or just the value of the percentage of charge left, not a graphical representation).#4:Downloading of demos & trial versions of titles to an external (USB) hard drive so that the internal hard drive can be kept for the latest batch of games that required 5Gb+ of space.#5:A priority setting for (background) downloads so if you are playing a local game, you can allocate more CPU cycles to downloading, or when you are playing an online game you can allocate less CPU cycles to the background task.However, I am pleased with the way that you can log-out of the various PLAYSTATION Store regions & the downloads initiated from any region still continue in the background.More over, when the PS3 console is switched-off mid-download of a file (or set of files), when you next connect (to any region) the download continues (from the point of termination onwards).

There are plenty more suggestions from other contributors in that thread!

BFN,

fp.

I have played GTA IV and for quite a few hours. Haven't played FIFA though.
    It broke the first time during Metal Gear Solid. The second time I was playing Ghost Busters (& I called Sony) and it was a rental disk.

I don't use rental disks anymore but I still expect it to break at some point, I just hope the new Slim model with improved reliability will be commonly available then.

[email protected];8843283

I have played GTA IV and for quite a few hours. Haven't played FIFA … I have played GTA IV and for quite a few hours. Haven't played FIFA though.It broke the first time during Metal Gear Solid. The second time I was playing Ghost Busters (& I called Sony) and it was a rental disk.I don't use rental disks anymore but I still expect it to break at some point, I just hope the new Slim model with improved reliability will be commonly available then.

I asked about those titles specifically because I compiled some statistics in a "My PS3 had died" kind of thread at AVForums.com last year & the vast number of failed consoles fell into these categories:

a) Had played "FIFA 08" / "FIFA 09"
    b) Had played "Grand Theft Auto IV"
    c) Had been stood vertically
    d) Mix & match combinations of the above options

My results were obviously not extension, nor conclusive, but a very high percentage of cases fell into these categories enough for me to never play either title, or move my console out of a horizontal orientation.

BFN,

fp.

Thanks FP.
    My machine always stands vertically and is never moved. I did consider this to be a possible problem but looking on the net netted no concise conclusion.

Original Poster

I now have a 250GB Slim so hopefully that won't go wrong!! Ended up deciding to sell my Xbox 360 Elite, PS3 80GB and opt for the Slim. Wasn't playing on both consoles as much as I use to so one had to go and with all the other features of the PS3 resulting in the 360 getting the chop.

I do however still miss some of the elements of Xbox Live as I stated before and hope PSN goes one better than Live as Microsoft have failed to mention any improvements and just gone full on Kinect!

Might end up getting a new 360 Slim, purely cos I'm a sucker for Gears Of War, miss that game it truely is class.

But all of the Battlefield Clan have helped show me what the PS3 has to offer and shown me the nearest experience to Xbox Live I've had on PSN so thanks to all for that.

Hopefully will be back on BFBC soon, wedding is just 2 weeks away now so after the honeymoon and things have calmed down at work at the mo too should be able to get some much needed Battlefield time in!!!

2hrs 50 mins to the PS3 E3 experience!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions